Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

Canada imroves blood donation rule for men who have sex with men

Featured Posts

Bellatrix

Canada takes a big step improving the rules for blood donation for men who have sex with men.

In 1992 a lifetime ban was introduced, which got removed in 2013. Then men who have sex with men had the opportunity to donate blood if they hadn't had sex in five years. In 2016 it got reduced to one year and starting from 3rd of June this year it will be reduced to only three months.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ban-on-blood-donation-for-men-who-have-sex-with-men-reduced-to-3-months-1.4413395

• Like 4

LadariousGarage

Only if the U.S did

But this is great 

Lets do it baby I know the Law

Economy

Great!

Now if only we could reduce unnecessary blood transfusions also. It prolongues time in recovery and hospital plus there's always a risk of bad reaction to blood also

A lot of doctors are starting to perform more and more bloodless surgeries with new technology and techniques but the medical community is very slow to accept this change!

• Like 2

Biggest Fan
9 minutes ago, Economy said:

Great!

Now if only we could reduce unnecessary blood transfusions also. It prolongues time in recovery and hospital plus there's always a risk of bad reaction to blood also

A lot of doctors are starting to perform more and more bloodless surgeries with new technology and techniques but the medical community is very slow to accept this change!

how are they able to operate with this new technologies 

is there a vid or website about this?

Red

That rule is so nonsensical, like, it’s an absurd that in 2019 that’s a thing. But also most gays just straight up lie and donate anyways so whatever.

if u are reading this 👀👀👀 i hope u become rich 🤑🤑🤑 and successful 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

homomo

It’s stupid rule rooted in homophobia.

Can’t be mad at progression though

Economy
Just now, Biggest Fan said:

how are they able to operate with this new technologies 

is there a vid or website about this?

It's not all brand new but it's only recently that it's starting to be more commonly done.

One technique is using a cell saver which literally vacumes your blood and it goes thru a machine that filters out impurities then puts it back in you

Another alternative is where the exact point of the cut is burned to stop blood loss. Because it's such a thin part it is safe

Another option is blood dilution where this other fluid increase your blood volume and it's sufficient while ur asleep tho I don't know if I'd personally trust this one

I mean there's lots of information online. Any specific treatment u wanna know about?

• Thanks 1

Economy
9 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

It’s stupid rule rooted in homophobia.

Can’t be mad at progression though

I think now it is but when it was first made u can argue it wasn't a homophobic thing

In the past gay men had a much higher rate of HIV infections so banning the most likely group to carry the illness increases safety for everyone else. How is that homophobia?

However the gap has since largely closed and it no longer makes much sense

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 1

Lady Rah Rah

I wish the UK was the same. The rule is purely disgusting and completely homophobic. 

As straight as a protractor.

Mobish

As a gay man, I don't see anything homophobic about the gap to be very honest. Gay men have had higher rates of HIV than other groups.

• Like 5

Economy
10 minutes ago, Mobish said:

As a gay man, I don't see anything homophobic about the gap to be very honest. Gay men have had higher rates of HIV than other groups.

That's what im saying. This rule was created to improve blood safety not because they felt like hating on gays

Not everything has to be homophobia

• Like 3

homomo
26 minutes ago, Economy said:

I think now it is but when it was first made u can argue it wasn't a homophobic thing

In the past gay men had a much higher rate of HIV infections so banning the most likely group to carry the illness increases safety for everyone else. How is that homophobia?

However the gap has since largely closed and it no longer makes much sense

Not really though. HIV spread like a wildfire in the 80’s. So many people, straight and non-straight had it. It was only stigmatized as the “gay disease” because of the religious war on LGBT+ folks.

Economy
6 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

Not really though. HIV spread like a wildfire in the 80’s. So many people, straight and non-straight had it. It was only stigmatized as the “gay disease” because of the religious war on LGBT+ folks.

So gay men having higher rates was just misinformation?

Edit: just read the full article in OP. Seems like half of new cases of HIV last year in Canada were indeed gay men :huh:

Edited by Economy

NewUsername

Anyway, for y'all discussing if the rules are/have been homophobic or logical:

the thing is, the questions should be different, they should be like this:

- have you been tested the last X months

and

- are you in a serious, monogamous relationship?

The "have you had gay sex the last X months" being answered by "yes" meaning an automatic "no" for donating is just plain out stupid and homophobic indeed. It almost literally mean "Ok, so y'all promiscuous and are not safe", like... there are people in serious relationships and also straights **** around...

• Like 1

homomo
47 minutes ago, Economy said:

So gay men having higher rates was just misinformation?

Edit: just read the full article in OP. Seems like half of new cases of HIV last year in Canada were indeed gay men :huh:

Yes, because men who have sex with men (MSM) do it anally; which is one of the highest forms of HIV contraction. Vaginal sex and especially oral sex don’t even compare with how easy it is to get HIV from ****. 

Like, if half are MSM, then the other half could be MSW (men having sex with women), which is literaly an equal playing field.