💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Pitchfork destroys Me!: "It's for literal children"

Dilwyn

Featured Posts

Dilwyn

Taylor Swift has made essentially the same feint Justin Timberlake did last year, when the run-up to Man of the Woods hinted at a back-to-basics country project, only to produce some of the least-inspired pop of his career. The concept was even more believable from Swift, whose recent and much remarked-upon visual pivot seemed to return to the Cinderella-and-sequins aesthetic of her early albums. Harder to believe is where she ended up: “ME!” a brittle blast of synth-pop that drew immediate comparisons to Timberlake’s infantile Trolls theme song “Can’t Stop the Feeling.” Duet partner, Panic! At the Disco’s Brendon Urie, singing his best Ed Sheeran impression, brings all the passion of a marionette, and if Swift’s venomous reputation as a bad girl sometimes felt forced, this song feels like a punishment.

Still less appealing was the corporatized midwifery of its debut, which began last night during network TV coverage of the NFL draft and continues today on “Good Morning America.” “ME!” immediately soundtracked teasers for both ESPN and the ABC lineup (where footage from “The Bachelor” is unironically cut over a line about “a lot of cool chicks out there”). The clear message is that a Taylor Swift song is a prime-time event, and yet it is objectively corny to piggyback on professional football, an institution beset by its own myriad problems, with a song about how there “ain’t no I in ‘team.’”

The brilliance of Swift’s best songwriting is in its heartfelt vulnerability and goofy humor, in simple wisdom that showed her to be empathetic and hopelessly romantic. Now she is here to remind us that “you can’t spell awesome without ‘me.’” The song is a showcase for the worst and weakest aspects of Swift’s work, the syrupy kitsch and occasional over-reliance on wordless vocal fillers—“Hee-hee-hee, hoo-hoo-hoo,” goes the chorus, like it’s laughing at you. The hook will stick, because it is more fascinating than it is boring; there will be better songs on the eventual album, because it is not hard to write a better song than this. “ME!” is two steps away from a corporate jingle, innocuous feel-good music in an airtight clamshell package.

Stone S

Yikes. the song definitely sounds like it could be for a children's movie soundtrack. I'm not the biggest fan either. If anything I agree with every word they said :ohwell:

Welcome to Industria

Luna Lovegood

I guess I'm a child 2018_rih6.gif

luna’s advocate

LetsGetHigh

I guess that's what you gotta do when your previous era doesn't hold up as much as your other eras.

But it's still catchy. Baby shark doo doo doo doo doo. 

VoldeLorde2
4 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

The song is extremely basic. It's just bad.

Did you not hear Ally’s songs from ASIB or The Cure?

Edonis

I mean, they didn't lie but can we be honest to ourselves for a minute? Taylor Swift is incredibly smart for releasing a song like this that will do well with the bulk of her fan-base (kids and families), particularly when she garnered a little bit of controversy in her home base with her political commentary last year (openly condemning the GOP in her home state, publicly stating her decision to vote for a democrat last year) and the overall aesthetic and sound on Reputation. It's smart to release something this innocuous that won't turn off her conservative fans or skeptics. 

12 minutes ago, VoldeLorde2 said:

Don't do this :huntyga: We both know that the "basic" ASIB songs/ The Cure are nowhere near this level of Disney like Taylor Swift's Me!. You can argue that they're bland and generic, but not like this. :huntyga:

Benji

It's a fun, little pop song.  Y'all act like our high horse isn't made out of "doo doo doo just dance" and "p-p-p-poker face" :air:

Petrichor
2 hours ago, VoldeLorde2 said:

Okay, first of all, Ally's songs are for a fictionalized character and are not indicative of Gaga's artistry whatsoever. They're not canon to her discography. Second of all, they were written stereotypically as to accentuate the generic nature of modern pop. So yes, Ally's songs are basic to prove a point, but they're still nowhere near as bad as Taylor's song. It's much worse than all of them for no inherent reason besides just being bad. :bon:

Even if you want to compare The Cure..... let's just take the choruses. Which one is better?

Me-e-e, ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
I'm the only one of me
Baby, that's the fun of me
Eeh-eeh-eeh, ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

vs.

If I can't find the cure, I'll
I'll fix you with my love
No matter what you know, I'll
I'll fix you with my love
And if you say you're okay
I'm gonna heal you anyway
Promise I'll always be there