💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

'Medellin': A detailed musical analysis

steel

Featured Posts

This is a really interesting read to anyone who is into music analysis: 

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/music-theory/madonna-medellin-song-analysis/

------------------------------------------------------

This actually confirms what many first said when commenting on the reggaeton vibe of the song which was aligned with a more experimental play with latin sounds.

Just look at this extract:

Pair that simplicity with Madonna’s surprisingly sensitive vocals and you have a far quieter pop song that you might expect for a highly-anticipated megastar return, a mood piece that has more in common with a Philip Glass miniature than it does with the souped-up reggaeton of ‘Despacito’.

Just when it seemed that the resurgence of Latin-flavoured pop music had peaked with Justin Bieber’s omnipresent remix of the Luis Fonsi original, it took an artist of Madonna’s experience to prove that, in the mainstream, there is still more to be done with this generic niche.

If Madonna’s latest reinvention of herself continues to display this much sensitivity, it could be one of her most interesting incarnations yet.

Reginald

BookmarkedT!

I *love* pop music analysis,  thank you for sharing

BlackSwan Cat & Mouse

sipthistea

If we're going to praise and call experimental 'whispering and autotune excess', then Selena Gomez did it first. 

58 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

If we're going to praise and call experimental 'whispering and autotune excess', then Selena Gomez did it first. 

Didn't share the article for the praise, but mainly because it's an interesting analysis, and one that shows that even playing with generic reaggaeton sounds, Madonna does it her way.

As for the 'whispering and autotune excess', have you heard of Ray of Light? Music maybe? Or American Life?  :ladyhaha:

River

I honestly think that without Maluma the song has more potential, he's just not fitting there, also I think the mastering of his parts is really bad, it sounds like he's talking from behind, idk, like the big brother

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

androiduser
58 minutes ago, steel said:

mood piece that has more in common with a Philip Glass miniature than it does with the souped-up reggaeton of ‘Despacito’.

ROTFL what a comparison, Philip Glass?! :fail:

12 minutes ago, androiduser said:

The analysis focus on the simplicity of the song, unlike overplayed reggeaton.

'There are just three (count ‘em) recognisable chords in the whole song: A flat major, G flat major, F flat minor.'

The comparison lies there, I believe.

androiduser
58 minutes ago, steel said:

The analysis focus on the simplicity of the song, unlike overplayed reggeaton.

'There are just three (count ‘em) recognisable chords in the whole song: A flat major, G flat major, F flat minor.'

The comparison lies there, I believe.

in the video Madonna has dark hair.... OBVIOUSLY that makes the video the new Mona Lisa

holy scheisse

I really like this song? Surprisingly. The video is really fun and interesting too. 

27 minutes ago, androiduser said:

in the video Madonna has dark hair.... OBVIOUSLY that makes the video the new Mona Lisa

I understand what you mean, but that comparison is a bit facetious.

I assume you are very familiar with Glass's work, which as you know is characterised by its minimalism. The author of the article is just saying that the song has more in common with Glass's minimalist work than with reggaeton, because Medellin only has 3 chords, while reggaeton is marked by 7 or more chords. You could make similar comparisons with other works, of course -- it is just the one he chose to make, as this is from a classical music website.

calmar
1 hour ago, androiduser said:

I haven't heard of a Philip Glass at our sküle

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

androiduser
39 minutes ago, steel said:

I understand what you mean, but that comparison is a bit facetious.

I assume you are very familiar with Glass's work, which as you know is characterised by its minimalism. The author of the article is just saying that the song has more in common with Glass's minimalist work than with reggaeton, because Medellin only has 3 chords, while reggaeton is marked by 7 or more chords. You could make similar comparisons with other works, of course -- it is just the one he chose to make, as this is from a classical music website.

it's cherry picking, used to imply that the song is closer to a classical masterpiece than an ordinary Latin "hit" with a rented Latin rapper... Reggaeton is also marked by someone like Maluma doing his lines, and surprisingly there aren't any in any of Glass's works.

The song is Madonna doing somebody else's thing, and it's failing on all accounts. Bring on the next buzz single.

Archived