💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why was IWBWY rewritten into Dope?

likeitrough

Featured Posts

likeitrough

Why was "I Wanna Be With You" rewritten into "Dope"? Surely IWBWY would appeal to label executives (etc) over Dope. Was it just a creative choice? 

Because it was basically just an acoustic version of Applause. Dope is much better in my opinion anyway :staymad:

SHALLOW

Cause it was kinda cringey and very specific whereas Dope can be interpreted in more ways imo and the lyrics sound waaaaaaay better :vegas:

Antoni

We don't have a clear answer on this, but there was a strong feeling that IWBWY was actually written for Taylor, not the fans. That ruined the song for some of us. Maybe that was a factor?

All we really know is that she was in the studio to record IWBWY (supposedly) and she burst into tears about her months of drug / marijuana abuse and decided to change the lyrics, then recorded Dope in one take. But it's Gaga so that story could be manufactured lol. And I think she said something about feeling like it was time to be honest.

My name isn't Timmers

Curunir

I don't remember which interview it was but she said that the label wanted her to write more ballads because those were the thing back in 2012/13 and she turned IWBWY into Dope so they couldn't make it a "mainstream" single (because of the lyrics). She said something along the lines of "You want a ballad? I'll give you a f*cking ballad..."

The rebel jumped out :diane:

That being said, I prefer Dope. It's darker and less cheesy and the production is really subtle but powerful :pray:

KURUSHITOVSKA
2 minutes ago, GAGAJANDRO said:

Honestly, she does this all time. U saw that earthquake became FOHL, and that IWBWY became Dope, and burqa became aura.

She just took a verse from Earthquake it's not that ot became FOHL

ÂżQuĂŠ currĂ­culum tiene ĂŠsta tarĂĄntula?

dynamite
4 minutes ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

She just took a verse from Earthquake it's not that ot became FOHL

This and she literally just changed the one word 'burqa' to 'aura'

Either way I prefer IWBWU, the performance makes me wanna cry lol, especially the 'born this way' part

18 minutes ago, Curunir said:

I don't remember which interview it was but she said that the label wanted her to write more ballads because those were the thing back in 2012/13 and she turned IWBWY into Dope so they couldn't make it a "mainstream" single (because of the lyrics). She said something along the lines of "You want a ballad? I'll give you a f*cking ballad..."

That being said, I prefer Dope. It's darker and less cheesy and the production is really subtle but powerful :pray:

dope sounds less mainstream tbh

crisTEAne
19 minutes ago, Curunir said:

The rebel jumped out :diane:

imagine all those "original," "rebellious" LG5 bops :diane: 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Reginald

Honestly, I think that both IWBWY and Dope are Gaga's weakest ballads. Dope is the only song on ARTPOP that I skip

BlackSwan Cat & Mouse

LaLa
23 minutes ago, Curunir said:

It was a Howard Stern interview, she talked about it before she performed it on the show

Schwerk
36 minutes ago, Curunir said:

This. They kept referring to IWBWY as 'the balad' and as it seemed they didn't bother to remember the name let alone the lyrics of the song, she decided to change them last minute.

Dope is very, very raw. At that time she really needed that outlet for her pain.

When she played the album for us in Berlin for the first time, she got very emotional. During Dope she sat down, gazed in the distance and after a short while she started crying, more like bawling. She suddenly burst into tears, like her heart broke, it was the saddest thing. I wanted to go hug her so bad. Luckily Lacey and Tara ran to her and they sat hugging her tightly for the rest of the song.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

Seeka

I honestly believe ARTPOP was going to be BTW 2.0. If Posh Life is any indication. 

She probably changed it so it wouldn't be this cheesy afterbirth ballad of Born This Way. 

Honestly I Wanna Be with You belongs on born this way. Not ARTPOP. 

Archived