💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Madonna fading?

MrDarkGa

Featured Posts

Queen Bitch
1 hour ago, jaXXXon said:

As I mentioned, it's not only on YouTube. It's also on Spotify. They measure which songs are remembered today. There are more young people who know Girls Just Wanna Have Fun than the biggest Madonna song. If you seriously deny that then you're DELULULU. 

I'm not saying she doesn't have hits but Cyndi's biggest hit is bigger and more remembered than Madonna's biggest hit. 

Also, don't act like that. Not a good look on ya. 

But Madonna is still way bigger and more influential than Cyndi. So why does it matter if GJWHF is bigger than any Madonna song? 

GJWHF has more views on YouTube than any Michael Jackson song. So by your logic it's more remembered than any Michael Jackson song, right? Does that mean Cyndi Lauper is better than Michael Jackson? 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
androiduser

definitely not fading, she's THE only 80's superstar to still be active and relatively successful , and one of the few veteran acts still around (U2, Bruce Springsteen etc).

I do however agree that the quality of her work is not that great anymore because  she keeps chasing a hit by doing what young new stars are doing.

67f7c0f4c73e6b322c5cc42224d036be.jpg

3 hours ago, The13thNote said:

Madonna as a chart topper? Yes. 

Madonna as an icon? No. 

Madonna as an artist? Perhaps. 

Madonna as a touring threat? No. 

Madonna as a vocalist? Yes. 

Madonna as ahead of her time? Yes.

Madonna as a dancer? Amazing for her age. 

Let's be honest: it's very unlikely Madonna will ever deliver a massive hit again. I'll never say never, but she has lost touch with pop culture. It's not clever or surprising or interesting anymore. But she will always be the biggest and first true female pop icon. There are only three or four artists that even came close to touching her pinnacle. And they only held onto it for a few years. 

Madonna masterfully managed to stay chart relevant for well over two decades. No other female artist has really done that except for Beyonce, Cher, and Jennifer Lopez. Not even Janet or Mariah or Whitney or Britney have successfully been 25 years in and still scoring top tens. 

Madonna's first hit was in 1982 and 30 years later in 2012 she managed to score a Top Ten. Regardless of how, she managed it. 

This is a great post. Factual, evidence-based and realistic.

jaXXXon
2 hours ago, Musicisfreedom said:

Imagine judging success of older artists on streams and youtube views... :lmao: i can't. What about cultural impact? Legacy? To judge off of something that hasn't even been around for 20 years makes you look.... Well, Shallow :ally::reductive:

That’s not impact this is about though. It’s about Cyndi’s song being more remembered than Madonna’s. If that flew over your head then that’s not my fault. 

Cyndi’s song is also being downloaded more often than Madonna’s. I mean the whole point of catalogue sales is to see which old songs are still selling. Cyndi’s song is more famous, nothing to do with impact. 

NightStar

The funny thing about Madonna is that it's almost common for the artists that reach her age to quit recording new stuff and just stick to touring and perform their biggest hits. She is not ready to settle for it, she doesn't stop challenging herself to put out new music and that's something I'll always applaud. She could've comfortably locked herself in some Vegas residency and kept singing remixes of la Isla bonita for five years, but she is brave enough to record new music and share it with the audience. So I don't think her artistic spirit is fading. 

Her style is definitely changing, though, and I guess many people take these changes as the marks of her "fading", but I think that's not justified. She is getting less impactful in terms of her sonic legacy, yes, but other aspects of her artistry mature and become no less intriguing. 

jaXXXon
2 hours ago, August3 said:

But Madonna is still way bigger and more influential than Cyndi. So why does it matter if GJWHF is bigger than any Madonna song? 

GJWHF has more views on YouTube than any Michael Jackson song. So by your logic it's more remembered than any Michael Jackson song, right? Does that mean Cyndi Lauper is better than Michael Jackson? 

My goodness, some of you guys don’t get it :saladga:

Yes, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is listened to more by the younger generation. Why? Don’t know. Of course Madonna is still bigger but Cyndi’s song is bigger. This isn’t only about streams, Cyndi’s song is probably having better catalogue sales. You act like it’s a 20 million difference, it’s a couple of hundreds. Just play any young person those two songs and both will be recognized, but Cyndi’s will have more people going “ooh, I know that song!” 

Thats the only thing. 

Queen Bitch
2 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

My goodness, some of you guys don’t get it :saladga:

Yes, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is listened to more by the younger generation. Why? Don’t know. Of course Madonna is still bigger but Cyndi’s song is bigger. This isn’t only about streams, Cyndi’s song is probably having better catalogue sales. You act like it’s a 20 million difference, it’s a couple of hundreds. Just play any young person those two songs and both will be recognized, but Cyndi’s will have more people going “ooh, I know that song!” 

Thats the only thing. 

But so what if her song is bigger, what does that prove? Nothing. 

jaXXXon
2 hours ago, MyQueen said:

That gamgam style has billions views but he is  no  MJ

M and MJ have more hits and massive inpact 

That’s like comparing the sales of a hit album in 1985 to a hit album in 2019. GS is a modern song released in the streaming era, so of course it’ll have more views. 

Cyndi and Madonna songs are old songs and there’s a 400 million views difference because more people choose to watch/listen to Cyndi’s song. Note that it’s the same on Spotify, so it’s no coincidence. 

Cyndi did not have more impact than Madonna but her song is more famous. She isn’t more famous than Madonna but her song is more known to the young streaming generation than Madonna’s. 

The only minus is that when the older generation stops breathing the younger will have given their music to their children and so on resulting in Cyndi’s song still being more famous. It’s just the way it is. 

River

She's not fading, she's just not delivering the quality music that she used to deliver.

Also the age is a factor, but actually she's against herself, she can't battle ageism but at the same time doing the best to appeal the young generation but it's just not working, she's doing it wrong.. it's like she herself is not accepting her age and the age of her listeners, she can't be a sex icon of 12 years old, this generation will never see her that way and she needs to accept it.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Neroneau
14 hours ago, August3 said:

All musicians her age fade away. When was the last time Cher, Paul McCartney, Cindy Lauper, Janet Jackson or Elton John had a big hit? 

I think the OP meant quality

LordEnigma
1 hour ago, jaXXXon said:

That’s not impact this is about though. It’s about Cyndi’s song being more remembered than Madonna’s. If that flew over your head then that’s not my fault. 

Cyndi’s song is also being downloaded more often than Madonna’s. I mean the whole point of catalogue sales is to see which old songs are still selling. Cyndi’s song is more famous, nothing to do with impact. 

Well I’d say Madonna is more well known than Cyndi. Yeah Cyndi has a song that might be more recognizable but does everyone remember Cyndi herself - not so much.

If you say Madonna to anyone, they know who she is.

jaXXXon
4 minutes ago, Alexander Levi said:

Well I’d say Madonna is more well known than Cyndi. Yeah Cyndi has a song that might be more recognizable but does everyone remember Cyndi herself - not so much.

If you say Madonna to anyone, they know who she is.

Yes but it's still quite ironic that Cyndi won in this regard considering she only lasted a couple of years. Madonna is way more famous, of course, but Cyndi at least has that one little song over Madonna, which is more than others can say. 

Hexxx
14 hours ago, LateToCult said:

I’m not.  :triggered:

Sorry for you

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Hexxx

Madonna will never fade. She's the queen of pop for a reason. You don't evwn have to like her. Her work will always be referenced and talked about.

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Archived