đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

Is RuPaul's Drag Race over?

Featured Posts

MrDarkGa

As much as I love its mainstream acceptance and the increased visibility for drag its created, I do feel that the success has doomed it. The queens since season 6 are all largely on the younger side and theres been an increase in the Insta-Queens which has wiped a lot of diversity out.

I also feel that the success its had is always viewed as short-lived by Ru. I mean, AS3, Season 10, AS4 and now season 11 all within an 18 month period, as well as a UK version to start this year? That's just overexposure and its feeling more of a "shut it off its on too much" type show. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MrDarkGa said:

As much as I love its mainstream acceptance and the increased visibility for drag its created, I do feel that the success has doomed it. The queens since season 6 are all largely on the younger side and theres been an increase in the Insta-Queens which has wiped a lot of diversity out.

I also feel that the success its had is always viewed as short-lived by Ru. I mean, AS3, Season 10, AS4 and now season 11 all within an 18 month period, as well as a UK version to start this year? That's just overexposure and its feeling more of a "shut it off its on too much" type show. 

Apparently AS5 is coming in December as well, overhype has killed the shows magic. I feel they keep and bring queens in for the drama (Eureka, Silky and The Vixen)

MonsterPaws
30 minutes ago, gagzus said:

Sure it’s not as good or half as camp as it was before it attained mainstream success and VH1 (which is known for produced drama in it’s reality TV), but tbh season 10 and 11 have kinda delivered- especially 11, it’s been the best since season 6, but let’s hope they don’t rob Yvie 

I'm really enjoying Season 11. I'm living for Yvie and Plastique Tiara.

aaron l

Not at all. I have been watching since season 6 and still get excited for more. It will forever have its problematic moments, but honestly it's a mess that I love. I also disagree with fan favorites winning. Kim Chi was fan favorite season 8, Sasha Velour was not majority choice for season 9, & Aquaria deserved her season 10 win. Season 11 has been really great so far.

Babel

I’ll be ok with the storyline plot decisions they made through the season if it’d make more sense. But everything now is all over the place and some decisions look plain stupid. 

For example, pushing Latrice on AS4 until the very end and making her “safe” in weeks when she was painfully unfunny (not even the extremely biased edit could save her) and delivered one or two of the worst looks Drag Race have ever seen. Seeing the superstars Manila and Valentina go before Latrice was a disgrace.

Shangela-gate was terrible too. They made people believe it was the queens that made the decision, but Rupaul and the producers know in advance which queen they’re gonna pick, they have control in everything that is shown. They had the opportunity to save that season but let it go cause controversy is what sells. 

Ryusei

All stars is ridiculous and at this point mot worth watching but the regular seasons are alright. I do hate that they recycle the same challenges every season with a different „twist“ aka they switch the celebrity name in the rusical

Musery

Stephen
9 minutes ago, aaron l said:

Not at all. I have been watching since season 6 and still get excited for more. It will forever have its problematic moments, but honestly it's a mess that I love. I also disagree with fan favorites winning. Kim Chi was fan favorite season 8, Sasha Velour was not majority choice for season 9, & Aquaria deserved her season 10 win. Season 11 has been really great so far.

Sasha actually was a majority choice, I remember on the drag race twitter account the  "RT if you're team Sasha" was way more than Shea.

aaron l
Just now, Steve Nasty said:

Sasha actually was a majority choice, I remember on the drag race twitter account the  "RT if you're team Sasha" was way more than Shea.

Oh thanks! I actually didn't know that. So there's just a lot of opposing fans per usual, lmao. I was team Trinity then, but I was down for Sasha or Shea to win from the start. 

Stephen
Just now, aaron l said:

Oh thanks! I actually didn't know that. So there's just a lot of opposing fans per usual, lmao. I was team Trinity then, but I was down for Sasha or Shea to win from the start. 

I was team Trinity too! :vegas: Of course I expected Shea to win bc she did the best in the competition. It's pretty crazy how one lip sync lost her the crown :gum:

Sepsami

I stopped watching because finding the episodes every week is a nightmare for anyone that isn't American. For a show with such global appeal it's ridiculous that there still isn't a way for non-Americans to reliably watch the show. :madge: 

aaron l
5 minutes ago, Steve Nasty said:

I was team Trinity too! :vegas: Of course I expected Shea to win bc she did the best in the competition. It's pretty crazy how one lip sync lost her the crown :gum:

Oof seriously. It was rough seeing Trinity lose to Peppermint. I didn't care for the shake and go wig to the pussycat wig reveal, and the awful dress just had me :koons:

but at least that loss gave us more Trinity and eventually more Shea :vegas:

Ok but what reality show doesn't follow a formula? People don't care, in fact if they innovated people would complain, lol

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Benji

It’s far from over, it’s been peaking off the back of All Stars 2 for a while a now in popularity.

In terms of quality peak however, the normal show peaked series 4 - 6, All Stars 2 was the absolute peak of the entire franchise.

Great queens have come from seasons before and after but the show isn’t what it was before.

cacaca

I thought Season 10 was the worst there's ever been, and I'm really enjoying 11.

I think All Stars has created a sense of fatigue - there has been too much Drag Race in the past couple years and people are getting bored. They need to slow down a bit.

cacaca
32 minutes ago, Sepsami said:

I stopped watching because finding the episodes every week is a nightmare for anyone that isn't American. For a show with such global appeal it's ridiculous that there still isn't a way for non-Americans to reliably watch the show. :madge: 

I thought it was a Netflix show now? In the UK they call it Netflix Original, even though it's not, so I assumed it was available to steam worldwide?

Archived