V Magazine Hardcover Edition
question

Is Just Dance A Filler Song?

Featured Posts

Alexander Levi
2 hours ago, Twitter said:

It may be one of her top selling singles. However, Gaga has plenty of singles that overshadowed Just Dance in popularity. :sweat:

Do you have any proof of that?

How can you even gauge that :laughga: 

MmmDani
On 4/16/2019 at 11:59 PM, AJRocketMan said:

It was added because Gaga wanted a rap song on the album. She worked with Azealia Banks, and when those got scrapped (“She’s got a bad attitude”), she reached out to Too $hort, T.I., and Twista for collaboration. She worked with Kendrick Lamar on Good Kid, Maad City for “Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe” and a reworking of her song “Partynauseous” for his album, neither of which got an official release and only saw the light of day after getting leaked. So ARTPOP was going to get a rap song either way whether we liked it or not.

Just because she testing out rap, doesn’t automatically mean it fits with the rest of the album. None of which connects to the vibe of the track, it’s a sore thumb

On 4/16/2019 at 10:13 PM, lovedillon said:

Well each song on ARTPOP is pop mixed with another genre. There’s rock/pop, r&b/pop, rap/pop, experimental/pop, etc so it fits the album in that context. Either way it’s not our place to say whether or not it fits because we aren’t the artist? So not only are you not seeing the strategy there but you’re also not seeing the point I’ve already made lmao it doesn’t matter if you see the strategy, it’s her strategy lol oh well anyways

The concept was “Art and Pop”. Just because it’s a blend of two genres doesn’t earn that it flows with the rest of the album. And, sis, if you can’t criticise a decision because “it’s not our place”, then you’re completely missing the point of Art discussion. There is no explanation for the addition of such an out of place track (aside from it being the worst on the album), it isn’t in line with any of the other tracks. It’s the literal definition of filler

Edited by MmmDani
Misspelling

lovedillon
11 hours ago, MmmDani said:

Just because she testing out rap, doesn’t automatically mean it fits with the rest of the album. None of which connects to the vibe of the track, it’s a sore thumb

The concept was “Art and Pop”. Just because it’s a blend of two genres doesn’t earn that it flows with the rest of the album. And, sis, if you can’t criticise a decision because “it’s not our place”, then you’re completely missing the point of Art discussion. There is no explanation for the addition of such an out of place track (aside from it being the worst on the album), it isn’t in line with any of the other tracks. It’s the literal definition of filler

I never said it “wasn’t our place” to criticize but rather it doesn’t matter what we say is “filler” because we didn't make the album. You can call a song a filler all you want cause you don’t like it but it won’t change the fact that it’s there for a reason & to serve a purpose & whether you understand that purpose or not is your issue. Not to mention, there’s waaay more than just one theme on ARTPOP. Yes art & pop is the main theme but when you look at the music on its own without the concept you can clearly see the theme of pop & other genres coming together on each song. You also don’t have the authority to label one of her songs as “filler” & pass it off as fact just because you don’t like it. It’s not your work, it’s your opinion. Sorry, but really not sorry 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by lovedillon

MmmDani
1 hour ago, lovedillon said:I never said it “wasn’t our place” to criticize but rather it doesn’t matter what we say is “filler” because we didn't make the album. You can call a song a filler all you want cause you don’t like it but it won’t change the fact that it’s there for a reason & to serve a purpose & whether you understand that purpose or not is your issue. Not to mention, there’s waaay more than just one theme on ARTPOP. Yes art & pop is the main theme but when you look at the music on its own without the concept you can clearly see the theme of pop & other genres coming together on each song. You also don’t have the authority to label one of her songs as “filler” & pass it off as fact just because you don’t like it. It’s not your work, it’s your opinion. Sorry, but really not sorry 🤷🏻‍♂️

Okay, so because we didn’t personally write the entire episode of *insert inconceivably popular tv series name here* in which nothing happened, we can’t possibky recognise that it’s purpose is to fill the season out. A quick scan over my post suggests that you failed to pick up on the point, so I’ll repeat myself: filler is the word used to describe media that is seemingly in place only to bulk out the tracklist/season. Naturally it’s subjective (as is the intention of the artist), the “purpose” of a track can only be speculated on. The track in question does not fit (even as a pair) with any of the other album tracks, it seemingly has no place in the album, therefore it can be extrapolated that it’s a filler track.

Artistic intent should hold no sway on the opinions of consumers, “oh, don’t worry, the artist didn’t mean for it to not fit, so it must fit. Accept it.” Execution is what should define a piece of art, and the final product (ARTPOP) feels totally disconnected from Jewels ‘N Drugs, therefore it’s within the realms of plausibility that it’s purpose is to act as a filler track. You can’t state that “because Gaga put it there, it must have a purpose”. I hate to break it to you, but sometimes artists do things without purpose.

I have actually never expressed particular hatred towards JnD, it just doesn’t fit into the concept of the album. So I can call it filler. Thank you for reminding us that art is subjective 

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1

lovedillon
12 minutes ago, MmmDani said:

Okay, so because we didn’t personally write the entire episode of *insert inconceivably popular tv series name here* in which nothing happened, we can’t possibky recognise that it’s purpose is to fill the season out. A quick scan over my post suggests that you failed to pick up on the point, so I’ll repeat myself: filler is the word used to describe media that is seemingly in place only to bulk out the tracklist/season. Naturally it’s subjective (as is the intention of the artist), the “purpose” of a track can only be speculated on. The track in question does not fit (even as a pair) with any of the other album tracks, it seemingly has no place in the album, therefore it can be extrapolated that it’s a filler track.

Artistic intent should hold no sway on the opinions of consumers, “oh, don’t worry, the artist didn’t mean for it to not fit, so it must fit. Accept it.” Execution is what should define a piece of art, and the final product (ARTPOP) feels totally disconnected from Jewels ‘N Drugs, therefore it’s within the realms of plausibility that it’s purpose is to act as a filler track. You can’t state that “because Gaga put it there, it must have a purpose”. I hate to break it to you, but sometimes artists do things without purpose.

I have actually never expressed particular hatred towards JnD, it just doesn’t fit into the concept of the album. So I can call it filler. Thank you for reminding us that art is subjective 

Omg dude chill out I don’t caaare it ain’t that serious go pester someone else with the chip on your shoulder lmao jk but seriously chill out

Edited by lovedillon

MmmDani
11 hours ago, lovedillon said:

Omg dude chill out I don’t caaare it ain’t that serious go pester someone else with the chip on your shoulder lmao jk but seriously chill out

*makes joke about J’nD*

*is responded to with shade*

(see “sorry, but not really sorry”)

*responds with equally shady counterpoint*

*is told to chill out by the person that shaded a harmless joke*

• LMAO 1

FfFfFfFF
On 4/17/2019 at 3:13 AM, Twitter said:

Let’s not be foolish here. default_WGnMVG8.png

Gaga’s top 5 songs everyone knows rn are:

1. Shallow

2. Poker Face

3. Bad Romance

4. Born This Way

5. Million Reasons

Sis I like you and enjoy reading your posts but in what world Million Reasons is bigger than Just Dance? :lmao:

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1

FentyGa

did she write it just to fill the tracklist? no.

gaga has no fillers besides maybe grigio girls and just another day. she doesn't need fillers because her albums are usually a lot of tracks.

a filler is a song written just for the sake of having a full album.

britney has fillers. ariana's had fillers up until DW.

fillers can be amazing bops, but quality isn't what makes a song a filler

• Thanks 1

FentyGa
On 4/17/2019 at 2:13 AM, Twitter said:

Let’s not be foolish here. default_WGnMVG8.png

Gaga’s top 5 songs everyone knows rn are:

1. Poker Face

2. Bad Romance

3. Shallow

4. Paparazzi

5. The Edge Of Glory

fixedt.

in the us it would probably be

1.bad romance

2.shallow

3.poker face

4.paparazzi

5.million reasons

but around the world it's as i said:ohwell:

• Like 1

Widows Kiss
13 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

fixedt.

in the us it would probably be

1.bad romance

2.shallow

3.poker face

4.paparazzi

5.million reasons

but around the world it's as i said:ohwell:

I like that you included Paparazzi but TEOG/MR is definitely a reach. I'd say BTW should be for sure on this list.

FentyGa
7 hours ago, Widows Kiss said:

I like that you included Paparazzi but TEOG/MR is definitely a reach. I'd say BTW should be for sure on this list.

i guess so, but TEOG gets more radio play and stuff nowadays, which means that it's more strongly remembered

MR is prolly a reach tbh yeah lol i guess it would be born this way or applause, even