Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How do earpieces work? (Nicki X Arichella related)

Lighter

Featured Posts

Lighter

Can artists not hear with the speakers? Or is there anything I don’t know about sorry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Rah Rah

I think it helps them stay n the correct tune, not sure?

ARTPOP, you’ll always have my heart.

Lighter
3 minutes ago, Lady Rah Rah said:

I think it helps them stay n the correct tune, not sure?

But can it just be like a karaoke?

Pablo

The speakers are hard to hear on stage, since they are meant to be projecting sound. The earpieces help them keep in time with the music and helps with pitch.

Don't visit my profile

JoanneMonster

with all the screaming + speakers facing the audience, it's hard to hear yourself, the earpieces help hearing the music and your voice.

I See You

derpmonster

As far as I can tell, Bradley didn't use an earpiece at the Oscars :ally: He did at Vegas. 

OT: Too much noise. Earpieces apparently help them hear the part they're supposed to be singing so they can stay in rhythm, tempo, and on pitch. 

I like to sing without a headset because I need to hear myself but I've also never performed at Coachella or an arena, so :emma:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

derpmonster
Just now, JoanneMonster said:

with all the screaming + speakers facing the audience, it's hard to hear yourself, the earpieces help hearing the music and your voice.

Is it just cause the earpiece cancels noise or does the mic feed into your earpiece directly as well so you can hear yourself? That would be slightly delayed and can go wrong... :emma:But how you hear yourself normally vs through a recording of you are very different

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

tomdsgn

I believe there’s a slight delay. The speakers facing the audience play the music and the vocals, so it’d be difficult to listen to yourself singing live, whilst, well, trying to sing live haha. 

As far as I understand the in ear monitors play the music minus the vocals, and I assume they also play the other persons vocals (Ari can hear Nicki, Nicki can hear Ari)

JoanneMonster
1 minute ago, derpmonster said:

Is it just cause the earpiece cancels noise or does the mic feed into your earpiece directly as well so you can hear yourself? That would be slightly delayed and can go wrong... :emma:But how you hear yourself normally vs through a recording of you are very different

they cancel a bit of noise bc they are covering the ears + the play the music so you can hear it and  it also makes your voice clearer to hear.

I See You

Bradley

Sometimes an arena or stadium or theater can be so loud with a combination of noises from everywhere, that could interfere with your singing and listening, so having an earpiece makes sure everything is presented directly into your ears I guess.

Karaoke is different because the speakers are right in front of you, and there won't be screaming fans. The instrumental is also not as loud as like 100 instruments being played together along with a pre-recorded track.

Lighter
1 minute ago, Bradley said:

Karaoke is different because the speakers are right in front of you

This is what artists need for their show in that case, near speakers for their own in case an earpiece malfunction

Helxig

I'm pretty sure (though I'm not an expert) that they:

1. Block out a lot of the volume from the audience and speakers. From their position on the stage it can be damaging to their ears, and stop them from hearing the music.

2. Play the instrumental track so they can stay on time and hear it clearly.

3. Play their own vocals back to them so they know how they sound. Have you ever not been able to hear yourself singing and don't know what pitch you're in, only to hear a recording later and realise you were way off? Hearing your own voice while singing is actually very important. 

So basically without them the singer can't hear the music properly, or their own voice while singing, and they are getting deafened at the same time. This usually just leads to pitchiness, but I think with Nicki there seemed to be a delay in her in-ear because she was off by a beat and getting confused.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Hallucinade

The earpiece also has information which we dont hear for example No tears left to cry starts with vocals before the instrumental starts so in the earpiece ari for example will hear a countdown when she needs to start singing so that shes on time when the instrumental starts, it's hard to explain

Like that, you can hear the metronome: 

dynamite
38 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Karaoke is different because the speakers are right in front of you, and there won't be screaming fans.

Speak for yourself :interestinga:

Spoiler

mic singing GIF

Archived