đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Suprise album right away? (no single before?)

Schizophonic

Featured Posts

Inferno
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

Taylor Swift has a different audience. She is not a direct competitor

Her single would be just another single that's released among others for Gaga to compete with. 

It's not Taylor that's gonna determine whether or not Gaga's single is successful

I feel like when people say such things, its moreso a lingering symptom of the whole Applause/Roar fiasco. No one wants to give the media a reason to pit her directly against another female single again.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy
Just now, Inferno said:

I feel like when people say such things, its moreso a lingering symptom of the whole Applause/Roar fiasco. No one wants to give the media a reason to pit her directly against another female single again.

Roar and Applause were literally released in the same day also Katy has a more simmilar fan base to Gaga than Taylor. Also both were the biggest female pop stars at the time

I don't think it would be the same situation now with Taylor. 

If it was in the exact same day again then maybe we'd get a bit of that situation again but if it's even 1 or 2 weeks apart we should be fine

Gaga and Katy were both queens at the time which made comparisons more likely. Right now the Queen's in music are Ariana and Cardi B so the media is paying less attention to comparing other artists especially Taylor that hasn't had a big hit in a while

Also like I said totally different fan bases. Taylor is more white girls and a few straight men while Gaga is more minorities and LGBT

Sure the GP overlaps both but ATM Gaga is bigger with the GP than Taylor anyway so if there happened to be a battle still I think Gaga would win tbh

RochestrMonstr

She'll probably get the #1 album no matter what she does though.  Her last three #1 album releases have debuted stronger than projected, even without hit singles at the time of release. Plus she's in a more powerful place now than she was during the beginning of any of those eras.

I think it's fun when we get the build-up of a single or two before the album comes out!  I don't really care so much about her strategizing to get the maximum success out of the singles as much as I just love the hype that comes with them! I hope there's at least one real single and one promo single before the album (if not a bit more than that!) 

Inferno
1 minute ago, Economy said:

Roar and Applause were literally released in the same day also Katy has a more simmilar fan base to Gaga than Taylor. Also both were the biggest female pop stars at the time

I don't think it would be the same situation now with Taylor. 

If it was in the exact same day again then maybe we'd get a bit of that situation again but if it's even 1 or 2 weeks apart we should be fine

Gaga and Katy were both queens at the time which made comparisons more likely. Right now the Queen's in music are Ariana and Cardi B so the media is paying less attention to comparing other artists especially Taylor that hasn't had a big hit in a while

Also like I said totally different fan bases. Taylor is more white girls and a few straight men while Gaga is more minorities and LGBT

Sure the GP overlaps both but ATM Gaga is bigger with the GP than Taylor anyway so if there happened to be a battle still I think Gaga would win tbh

I think Taylor and Gagas fanbases do overlap actually. I don't think the gap is quite as prominent as you're making it. They're both general contemporary pop. I mean maybe Gagas gayER but a good majority of Taylors fanbase are gay guys as well I mean. Its not just girls and quite honestly i'd be willing to argue more straight men f*ck with Gaga than most people give her credit for lol at least, depending on the album.

Stef

She’s always seemed very traditional to me in terms of her album rollouts. I wouldn’t imagine her just dropping an album out of nowhere tbh 

Signature loading… 👹🖤

Inferno
10 minutes ago, Economy said:

I don't think it would work out very well for Gaga either

I still think the standard way of releasing 1 or 2 singles before the album is best for Gaga

Surprise album releases are fine for a few artist but only the select few artists where their dynamics fits them to do so

Big fan bases and hype is one thing that's needed for a surprise release to work well that Gaga has

But another important factor is to be big with streaming which Gaga is only starting to catch up with now

Gaga still gets a lot of boost from radio singles which makes the innitial hit single to create hype important for her

Yeah totally agree, Gagas so far behind in streaming that it kind of makes a surprise release more detrimental in terms of statistical success.

Economy
Just now, Inferno said:

Yeah totally agree, Gagas so far behind in streaming that it kind of makes a surprise release more detrimental in terms of statistical success.

Yeah. Gaga's big fan base is slightly older than some of the current pop stars which may explain differences like more success on HAC radio than top 40 pop radio and even her having more sales but fewer streams

I feel like surprise releases work better with big young fan bases that will stream the content quickly

Some of Gaga's older casual fans may not stream it instantly and the newer audience needs to be exposed to Gaga so a hit lead single would help

Gaga's career dynamics don't support a sudden release in my opinion

An artist like Drake, Ariana Grande, yes Beyonce too can get away with this but for Gaga probably not the best marketing strategy

Economy
4 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I think Taylor and Gagas fanbases do overlap actually. I don't think the gap is quite as prominent as you're making it. They're both general contemporary pop. I mean maybe Gagas gayER but a good majority of Taylors fanbase are gay guys as well I mean. Its not just girls and quite honestly i'd be willing to argue more straight men f*ck with Gaga than most people give her credit for lol at least, depending on the album.

Yeah there's going to be some overlapping but I don't think it's as much as with Katy Perry's fan base

Also like I said Gaga and especially Taylor are not the Queen's of music like Katy Perry and Gaga were at the time. So for that reason alone I think big comparisons between the two is less likely or at the very least if there are comparisons it will be more lowkey

Unless like I said it's released in the exact same day. If it's released super close to eachother even in the same week than I think we still run the risk of comparisons again

But tbh like I said I think Gaga is bigger right now and would win the battle unless Gaga's content is super uncommercial

Inferno
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

Yeah. Gaga's big fan base is slightly older than some of the current pop stars which may explain differences like more success on HAC radio than top 40 pop radio and even her having more sales but fewer streams

I feel like surprise releases work better with big young fan bases that will stream the content quickly

Some of Gaga's older casual fans may not stream it instantly and the newer audience needs to be exposed to Gaga so a hit lead single would help

Gaga's career dynamics don't support a sudden release in my opinion

An artist like Drake, Ariana Grande, yes Beyonce too can get away with this but for Gaga probably not the best marketing strategy

Although to be fair, Beyonce doesn't really own streaming either compared to some of her contemporaries, especially considering Lemonade is still TIDAL exclusive. But still, she is Beyonce.

RochestrMonstr
5 minutes ago, Economy said:

Gaga's attitude about it during Applause seemed different too.  To me she seemed completely fine with making it a competition with Katy.  And then getting fans to buy multiple copies of and promote the single...I can't picture her being anything like that now (thankfully!) 

I think now, especially with Taylor, if anything they would take to their social media and tell their fans how it's wrong to pit women against each other, and they're friends, and it shouldn't be a competition, all about the music etc. 

Inferno
3 minutes ago, RochestrMonstr said:

Gaga's attitude about it during Applause seemed different too.  To me she seemed completely fine with making it a competition with Katy.  And then getting fans to buy multiple copies of and promote the single...I can't picture her being anything like that now (thankfully!) 

I think now, especially with Taylor, if anything they would take to their social media and tell their fans how it's wrong to pit women against each other, and they're friends, and it shouldn't be a competition, all about the music etc. 

Im sorry but huh? I never get this false notion some people had that claim she wanted to make it a competition when Katy Perry was the one who waited to announce her release dates after Gaga did and made sure it was all before her. If anyone was trying to be a vulture it was ultimately Katy. Even if Gaga leaked the track herself, if we're being raw about it I don't think she wasn't in the right to be annoyed with KP. And quite honestly, I don't see how Gaga at all invited or wanted there to be a "competition", it just was what it was. And it was also blatantly obvious that the media and consuming public were poising Gaga to lose before the track was even released.

I hope we get 2 singles, it builds more hype and lets her improve the rest of the album a bit more :happy:

RochestrMonstr
10 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Im sorry but huh? I never get this false notion some people had that claim she wanted to make it a competition when Katy Perry was the one who waited to announce her release dates after Gaga did and made sure it was all before her. If anyone was trying to be a vulture it was ultimately Katy. Even if Gaga leaked the track herself, if we're being raw about it I don't think she wasn't in the right to be annoyed with KP. And quite honestly, I don't see how Gaga at all invited or wanted there to be a "competition", it just was what it was. And it was also blatantly obvious that the media and consuming public were poising Gaga to lose before the track was even released.

I don't think she necessarily wanted there to be a competition. I just don't think she did as much to at least appear to try to prevent it (at least among the fanbases) as she would now.  

Gaga herself just didn't seem as full of compliments for other artists as she does now.

Nikolai Barrow

Perfect Illusion wasn't that popular and the album still went straight to number one. (Side note i still am obsessed with perfect illusions what an epic song)

I think number 1 album is pretty much on lock. So i think they're likely aiming for a big single.

Chuckles
1 hour ago, Economy said:

I don't think it would work out very well for Gaga either

I still think the standard way of releasing 1 or 2 singles before the album is best for Gaga

Surprise album releases are fine for a few artist but only the select few artists where their dynamics fits them to do so

Big fan bases and hype is one thing that's needed for a surprise release to work well that Gaga has

But another important factor is to be big with streaming which Gaga is only starting to catch up with now

Gaga still gets a lot of boost from radio singles which makes the innitial hit single to create hype important for her

Not to mention the actual forgetfulness after first week of release. I find the old strategy far more monumental to build hype around an album. not everyone can build an era as some pop girls do. 

Archived