Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Brexit: UK and EU agree delay to 31 October

Featured Posts

Gimme More

European Union leaders have granted the UK a six-month extension to Brexit, after late-night talks in Brussels.

The new deadline - 31 October - averts the prospect of the UK having to leave the EU without a deal on Friday, as MPs are still deadlocked over a deal.

European Council President Donald Tusk said his "message to British friends" was "please do not waste this time".

Theresa May, who had wanted a shorter delay, said the UK would still aim to leave the EU as soon as possible.

The UK must now hold European elections in May, or leave on 1 June without a deal.

The prime minister will later make a statement on the Brussels summit to the House of Commons, while talks with the Labour Party, aimed at reaching consensus on how to handle Brexit, are set to continue.

Mrs May tweeted: "The choices we now face are stark and the timetable is clear. So we must now press on at pace with our efforts to reach a consensus on a deal that is in the national interest."

So far, MPs have rejected the withdrawal agreement Mrs May reached with other European leaders last year and they have voted against leaving the EU without a deal. 

The EU has ruled out any renegotiation of the withdrawal agreement.

Before the summit, Mrs May had told leaders she wanted to move the UK's exit date from this Friday to 30 June, with the option of leaving earlier if Parliament ratified her agreement.

Mr Tusk said the UK could also rethink its strategy or choose to "cancel Brexit altogether".

He added: "Let me finish with a message to our British friends: This extension is as flexible as I expected, and a little bit shorter than I expected, but it's still enough to find the best possible solution. Please do not waste this time."

What was agreed?

A Brexit extension "only as long as necessary" and "no longer than 31 October" to allow for the ratification of the withdrawal agreement

The UK "must hold the elections to the European Parliament" and if it fails to do this, the UK will leave on 1 June

The European Council reiterates there can be no reopening of the withdrawal agreement negotiations

Edited by Gimme More
  • LMAO 1

iAstroLeo

On October 31st:

Brexit has been delayed til March 31st 2020 :sis: 

• LMAO 1

THATFoxyFeeling

It's a mess, money talks. It's obvious big corporations and banks don't want UK leaving the EU otherwise it would have happened by now. I voted to stay but I can completely understand why those that voted to leave are pissed off. 

• Like 2

Ivannn

i am s strong EU supporter but at this point I just want UK to leave, deal or no deal,,,, UK has disturbed EU work for far to long now... they do not deserve any more favours

WarriorPhoenix

Just leave or stay, make your fking mind up

“And his unkindness may defeat my life, But never taint my love”

WarriorPhoenix
14 minutes ago, Ivannn said:

i am s strong EU supporter but at this point I just want UK to leave, deal or no deal,,,, UK has disturbed EU work for far to long now... they do not deserve any more favours

Leaving with no deal would affect both the EU and the UK equally, nobody wants it since it would have such an effect. And trust me, most British people want exactly the same as you

Edited by WarriorPhoenix
“And his unkindness may defeat my life, But never taint my love”

Sistren

UK should do a new referendum about Brexit imo and end this mess

I think they want to stay now :madge:

Benji

Pointless, I was hoping Macron would veto it.

I voted remain, think it’s better for the U.K. and the EU for the U.K. to remain but an extension in hopes of getting a soft Brexit is a pointless exercise.  The people who voted to leave won’t accept a soft Brexit and will vote for the Brexit party or another party leaning on the right which will be worse for the EU and the U.K. than a no deal :shrug: