Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Interview: Grimes wants to change name & new album information

tomsches

Featured Posts

tomsches

Despite only releasing one song, 2018 might have been one of Grimes’ biggest years on record.

Her relationship with technocrat Elon Musk catapulted her from indie-royalty to mainstream celebrity, and that was before her recording session-gone-wrong with Azealia Banks inadvertently inspired a government investigation into Musk’s potential stock-market tampering. 

Now that she’s gearing up to release her fifth album Miss_Anthropocene, Grimes — aka Claire Boucher, aka c, the symbol for the speed of light — has given a rare interview to The Wall Street Journal Magazine. In it, she dives into the concept behind the new music, her relationship with Musk, and why she’s planning to “kill off Grimes”.

#1. Grimes Will Die Soon

In the feature, Boucher says she feels restricted by ‘Grimes’ as a brand, and is planning to “kill ‘Grimes’ soon” via “public execution”. This is why she announced last year, via Twitter, that she would legally change her name to ‘c‘, italicized and lowercase.

“I’m super bound by the limits I’ve set for myself [with Grimes],” she says. “It would be easier for me if I wasn’t stuck with the branding I made in 2009, you know?”

Throughout, Bradley paints a portrait of an artist undergoing a change, where their own brand and creative output is working against their intentions.

2014’s ‘Go’, an unashamed (and therefore maligned) pop single originally written for Rihanna, is given as an example of a moment where ‘Grimes’ as an idea limited c, and she explains that she wants to create a massive “lore” for herself as an artist.

She explains that ‘c’ is merely an “intermediate name”, and she plans to write a book which features her new name at the centre — and music too.

“Like J.R.R. Or George R.R,” she says. “Only, the songs will come first. It’ll be like Sailor Moon and Game of Thrones, and yeah, it’s super, super pretentious….”

Elaborating on this, she says she wants to create a “lore” around herself, comparing it to the work of Prince or Rihanna.

“I call branding that is art, lore,” she says. “Prince has lore. Rihanna has great lore. It’s essentially world building. It’s my favourite art form.”

She plans to do so largely via high-production, elaborate music videos, saying she “will regret” the self-directed 2015 video for ‘Flesh Without Blood’ “until the day” she dies. “I f—ed with my lore, you know?,” she says. “Lore is sacred.”

#3 Her New Album Will Make Climate Change ‘Fun’

Grimes pre-emptively announced Miss_Antropocene on social media yesterday ahead of this profile’s release, which the feature elaborates on.

In her statement, she explains it’s a concept album “about the anthropomorphic Goddess of climate change” who is “composed of ivory and oil”. Each song will “be a different embodiment of human extinction as depicted through a pop star demonology”.

She describes the album’s sound as “etherial nu-mutal (ish)”, which is bang on with what we’ve heard so far with ‘We Appreciate Power’.

On that topic, we learn a bit more about the concept behind that song and where it fits into the album. According to Grimes, it ‘”introduced the pro-AI-propoganda girl group who embody our potential enslavement/destruction at the hands of Artificial General Intelligence”.

Through the WSJ Magazine piece, Grimes elaborates to explain that ‘We Appreciate Power’ was inspired by North Korea’s answer to K-pop, Moranbong. She also says that song ‘represses her spirit’.

We also learn that Miss_Antropocene aims to change perception of climate change as a depressing topic.

“It’s fun. I want to make climate change fun,” she says. “People don’t care about it, because we’re being guilted. I see the polar bear and want to kill myself. No one wants to look at it, you know? I want to make a reason to look at it. I want to make it beautiful.”

That includes plans for big visuals, such as “apocalyptic PSAs” for TV that would see her eat an elephant head.

Bradley describes one song we haven’t heard, ‘So Heavy I Fell Through The Earth’, as a “revelatory” step forward for Grimes. According to him, it centres her voice, something which she has never really done before.

FULL ARTICLE:

https://junkee.com/grimes-wall-street-journal/198778

weed
3 minutes ago, tomsches said:

she would legally change her name to ‘c‘, italicized and lowercase

this made me cackle lmao

FATCAT

As long as she doesn't get rid of Grime's music from Services, I could care less what name she uses moving forward haha

Purr more, hiss less.

SHALLOW
2 hours ago, tomsches said:

She plans to do so largely via high-production, elaborate music videos

I’m here for that but i don’t want her to change name :messga:

Azor Ahai

She's completely changed and became a sell out, changing her name makes sense.

At least then I can say I enjoy Grimes without being problematic

200.gif

DelusionalGaga

Whenever she speaks I feel like I'm listening to an alien. Her ideas are all over the place and this interview is a mess. Anyway, I'm still here for her music. 

Poker

Everytime I read something she said she sounds like a spoiled little child. 

And comparing herself to George r.r. Martin, girl lmao

Kindness rules all.

Linus Gaga

Changing name always not a good move for singers or actors in my opinion, unless you change it from Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta to Lady Gaga lady gaga GIF

Hit me a message and say hi !

Kimmo

Miley, Azealia Banks and now Grimes are always changing their mind and opinions about their previous work. Like girl I love you so much but your inauthenticity is showing!

giphy.gif

Hottie Detector

RAMROD

Why not change it into  a symbol that nobody can spell instead? :poot:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Archived