Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

"GAGA": an album entirely about the music?

Babel

Featured Posts

Babel

So if the "G A G A" picture is related to LG6, it would make sense that she's hinting of an album to be entirely about the music and letting the music speak for itself with no extra decoration: no videos, no promotion, no visuals, nothing else.

Here's why I think this theory could make sense:

- She hasn't said a word about the profile picture change or LG6, besides being "pregnant" with it.

- You can say she's spelling her name on the picture but, at the same time the only thing that appears on the image is 4 musical notes.

- I feel that she has hinted to this in the past that she wanted people to be present in the moment to enjoy the music, just as it is and nothing else.

- even though the expectations about visuals has reached an all-time low after the Joanne era, she hasn't had a true era about just the music, with no additional flavors (the hat and jeehaw imagery still was present, as much as the ghost of aunty Joanne).

Here's why I think this concept could be awesome:

- Ever since "Beyonce" and "Lemonade", ambitious visual projects is what everyone expects from artists these days. Beyonce's latest ambitious visual project failed miserably. "Apeshit" video did barely nothing despite release hype, being filmed inside the most famous museum in the world and having top-notch production. As Gaga always likes to do, she would be doing the opposite of what people are doing at the moment.

- The mystery surrounding herself will grow.

- She always tell she wants her work to be open for interpretation, and prefers people own perception on it than explanations on radio interviews and talk shows. That to certain extent, would rather will be a relief to me, since we wouldn't have to witness another "Botticelli's Venus De Milo" or "Perfect Illusion is about Instagram" messy explanations.

- Even if there was indeed a decline on the use of visuals during the Joanne era (compared to the Gagaisms she did during all of her previous solo 4 efforts), everyone is expecting Gaga to "do Gaga". So, as she always like to brag about, she will be doing the unexpected, once again.

- With the rise in popularity of the drag community, instagram, and social media in general, over the top clothing, wigs, high heels, heavy make up, professional photoshoots etc. has become a norm, (and quite a bore to me). Again, Gaga will be doing the opposite of everybody.

- Giving a spin to Marina Abramovic's infamous performance "the artist is present", she would be making the opposite  with "The artist is not present". A true ARTPOP statement and another item to be added on the list of "Things that Gaga did that were more ARTPOP than ARTPOP".

Here's why I think this concept could be a mess:

- It could be perceived by fans and critics as "lazy", "dull" and "unimaginative".

- Music could not stand on its on.

- Hype around it could get dry really fast and age really badly.

- People may not understand she's not present, and therefore the concept of the album could be mislabeled, misinterpreted and overall gone downhill like what happened to ARTPOP.

wjuQC8s1_400x400.jpg

Thoughts?

weed

if those b&w eli rennitz pics from august were LG6 related no thank you :flower: I think that's an interesting concept, but I'm ready for sickening visualsssss esp after the V magazine cover too

NotMyFlop

Theoretically, I vibe with a myesterious, more reclusive era. It would build intrigue.  

But, management wise, this would never happen. No music video = no streams = no money. 

I also think every negative listed would exactly happen. 

jprince99x

The notes literally spell out 

G A G A

you don’t need the letters under them??

Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan

i like it, i see potential in the idea

but i see it as somehow the fame era, when the candy warhol persona was "more plasticized" and everybody was like " who is lady gaga?"  So she has done that

also, Sia

But still, i think there's lots of room to work with this concept, maybe she'd incorporate the ambient and the people instead of herself...?  

but if that's so, i hope the album is not called Gaga because it's the exact opposite idea...

ice heard one side from above

isMonster

i see where u r coming from but like.. she's a business woman 

for the theme or not, if there is a song that reaches as big as bad romance or shallow, she gotta make a video for advertisement reasons 

jprince99x

albums & visuals are just part of the music process at this point. The only reason anyone ever made an album in the first place was when a band recorded enough singles for them to fill A record. Once they had enough songs their record label would sell a vinyl so fans could hear the songs in a collection. Albums didn’t start with a visual, or with a cohesive set of songs. Now they do. An album is really the only medium to release a set of songs today. Imagine Gaga releasing every song from Joanne one by one, then putting them on a record

monketsharona

I don't think Gaga could make the hype lasts long by just releasing an album. Promo always boost her campaigns

And Lady Gaga always loved making videos and performances 

Babel
10 minutes ago, neptugne said:

if those b&w eli rennitz pics from august were LG6 related no thank you :flower: I think that's an interesting concept, but I'm ready for sickening visualsssss esp after the V magazine cover too

Yeah, I feel you too. We haven't had a proper visual era from Gaga ever since Born This Way but, specially with the rise in popularity of instagram, I think it could be a bold move for her to do. 

Babel
10 minutes ago, NotMyFlop said:

Theoretically, I vibe with a myesterious, more reclusive era. It would build intrigue.  

But, management wise, this would never happen. No music video = no streams = no money. 

I also think every negative listed would exactly happen. 

Rihanna latest solo single, Love on the Brain, made it to the top 10 with no video and performances (yes, she performed it once, but way too early to make that performance responsible of the song gaining traction). 

Babel
9 minutes ago, jprince99x said:

The notes literally spell out 

G A G A

you don’t need the letters under them??

Her tattoo doesn't have the letters neither, maybe is just an introduction into the full project.

4 minutes ago, jprince99x said:

albums & visuals are just part of the music process at this point. The only reason anyone ever made an album in the first place was when a band recorded enough singles for them to fill A record. Once they had enough songs their record label would sell a vinyl so fans could hear their songs in a collection. Albums didn’t start with a visual, or with a cohesive set of songs. Now they do. An album is really the only medium to release a set of songs today. Imagine Gaga releasing everyone song from Joanne one by one.

Are you telling me Gaga could be incapable  of breaking the norm, once again? She put music videos on the map, why couldn't she do the opposite?

jprince99x
1 minute ago, Vegas said:

Her tattoo doesn't have the letters neither, maybe is just an introduction into the full project.

Are you telling me Gaga could be incapable  of breaking the norm, once again? She put music videos on the map, why couldn't she do the opposite?

Music videos were popular WAY before The Fame came around. I wouldn’t call releasing music without a video “breaking the norm”

TimisaMonster

For everything Gaga has tried to rebuild after ARTPOP to get to this "return" to pop...I doubt she wouldnt have CAREFULLY planned out this next era to go exactly as she intends and I'm sure after the ASIB success her label also wants to capitalize on it and use her image and promo to everyone's advantage. 

Plus, if the whole video game/dark experimental edm/GAGA theme is gonna work, she has to deliver crazy visuals for it...

Overall, I'm sure this era will be better than previous ones and she will give us and the GP what we have been patiently waiting for 6 years for...

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

jprince99x
4 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

For everything Gaga has tried to rebuild after ARTPOP to get to this "return" to pop...I doubt she wouldnt have CAREFULLY planned out this next era to go exactly as she intends and I'm sure after the ASIB success her label also wants to capitalize on it and use her image and promo to everyone's advantage. 

Plus, if the whole video game/dark experimental edm/GAGA theme is gonna work, she has to deliver crazy visuals for it...

Overall, I'm sure this era will be better than previous ones and she will give us and the GP what we have been patiently waiting for 6 years for...

I agree. If she goes back to her pop schtick from 2009 the music won’t be enough to speak for itself IMO. Gaga has said that her music from then doesn’t exceed her talent threshold 

Archived