Ariana is today's Rihanna

sipthistea

Featured Posts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jaXXXon
12 hours ago, LateToCult said:

I’m only comparing Rihanna’s first 5/6 years  to Ariana’s career to be fair. Her chart run is far more impressive because like I said, she pretty much stayed at the top. And as for the 2015 period in Rihanna’s career it’s hardly relevant to this conversation. She had one period of fumbles 9 years into her career and came back harder than ever with Anti. 

Came back harder than ever? ANTI lost to Lemonade and isn't even Rihanna's best performing album. Work only went #1 thanks to Drake who's twice as big as Rihanna now. Want proof? She hasn't had a #1 since working with Drake while Drake has had three #1s since working with Rihanna :trollga: RIhanna also didn't score big hits internationally after working with him. The excuse that Love On The Brain would've smashed WW if it had a video is probably true but so could The Cure, DWUW and ARUTW could've smashed if it got sent to radio :huntyga:

JohnnyVersace
20 hours ago, nicolasrumet said:

More like a Rihanna copycat

In what way sis? :bye:

Taide
59 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

Came back harder than ever? ANTI lost to Lemonade and isn't even Rihanna's best performing album. Work only went #1 thanks to Drake who's twice as big as Rihanna now. Want proof? She hasn't had a #1 since working with Drake while Drake has had three #1s since working with Rihanna :trollga: RIhanna also didn't score big hits internationally after working with him. The excuse that Love On The Brain would've smashed WW if it had a video is probably true but so could The Cure, DWUW and ARUTW could've smashed if it got sent to radio :huntyga:

Denying Anti's impact to today's music industry is beyond me. Anti helped push simple and layered song structures to the mainstream and it set up new highs for a streaming numbers.  Rihanna has never known to be an album seller. Lemonade had bigger first week sales but in the long run Anti has outsold Lemonade in terms of WW SPS (as of Nov 3 2017 Anti was at 5.2M sps and Lemonade as of May 2018 at 4.3M). 

Saying Work went #1 because of Drake is straight bullshit. Did Too Good go #1? No. Work had a shock factor thanks to the video and her accent, and let's not deny that the song is a real ear worm which GP love. 

Sayin Rihanna hasn't had #1 single since Work.. no words. Did she release anything else after Work? Well yes, she released Needed Me (has the record for most weeks spent at top 10 with a low peak there), LOTB which went number 5 without a video!! and several small features such as Wild Thoughts and TIWYCM (both songs peaked in top 3) but nothing significant that was attached to her next solo project. Also keep in mind that she hasn't released anything since Anti (a very short album with a very short era) while Drake has released since then... 2? 3? albums.

Lastly, everyone knows that if DWUW had a video it would've been possibly her 4th (5) number one single as it spent significant amount of time in the top 20 and GP was bopping but it didn't had big push from radio / streams. The Cure would have had higher peak with radio and video push and ARUTW is screaming hit, but lacks in radio department. 

Antichrist
13 hours ago, Angelina Jolie said:

a privileged white woman replacing one of the biggest black women in music this century? sounds about white.  

this isn't about the colour of their skin though, it's about music. don't be so racist, angie.

Bizcochito
24 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

this isn't about the colour of their skin though, it's about music. don't be so racist, angie.

:lmao: 

jaXXXon
53 minutes ago, Taide said:

Denying Anti's impact to today's music industry is beyond me. Anti helped push simple and layered song structures to the mainstream and it set up new highs for a streaming numbers.  Rihanna has never known to be an album seller. Lemonade had bigger first week sales but in the long run Anti has outsold Lemonade in terms of WW SPS (as of Nov 3 2017 Anti was at 5.2M sps and Lemonade as of May 2018 at 4.3M). 

Saying Work went #1 because of Drake is straight bullshit. Did Too Good go #1? No. Work had a shock factor thanks to the video and her accent, and let's not deny that the song is a real ear worm which GP love. 

Sayin Rihanna hasn't had #1 single since Work.. no words. Did she release anything else after Work? Well yes, she released Needed Me (has the record for most weeks spent at top 10 with a low peak there), LOTB which went number 5 without a video!! and several small features such as Wild Thoughts and TIWYCM (both songs peaked in top 3) but nothing significant that was attached to her next solo project. Also keep in mind that she hasn't released anything since Anti (a very short album with a very short era) while Drake has released since then... 2? 3? albums.

Lastly, everyone knows that if DWUW had a video it would've been possibly her 4th (5) number one single as it spent significant amount of time in the top 20 and GP was bopping but it didn't had big push from radio / streams. The Cure would have had higher peak with radio and video push and ARUTW is screaming hit, but lacks in radio department. 

Lemonade sold less in the end because it's not available on Spotify or Apple Music :trollga: We both know that Lemonade would've outsold ANTI if it had been released to those platforms, but its pure sales are bigger than ANTI's no doubt. Beyoncé is a hard nut to crack in comparison because she doesn't promote her singles and her songs lack real single treatment. Formation was released to iTunes months after being available for free on Soundcloud and almost two months after the Super Bowl and the video was unlisted on YouTube, yet it still reached the top 10 on the Hot 100. 

Back to Rihanna - I meant not scoring a hit after Work WW though. The simple and layered argument isn't true  - I don't know what you mean. Single Ladies is simple and layered as well and so is Macarena. So no. And new highs for streams? Drake did that. And I'm pretty sure Ariana's My Everything is the most streamed female album ever, so there goes that argument.

Leblanc

This thread is funny cos we all know Rihanna >>>>> Ariana

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention at all is their huge difference in demographic. 

No one can deny that Rihanna is loved or at least appreciated by all or most. This is significant and relevent in the huge straight male demographic. You would be hard pressed to find some straight guy liking Ariana whereas there isn't social stigma to appreciating Rihanna compared to Ariana. 

I always let the good ones go

LateToCult
7 hours ago, jaXXXon said:

Work spent 9 weeks at #1. That’s the same number of weeks Ariana has spent in the top position her entire career. Her solo singles went top 10 and Needed Me is eligible for a 7Xs platinum certification. Love on the Brain is eligible for a 3Xs platinum certification. 

And as for “losing” to Lemonade...so what? Beyoncé has consistently been a bigger album seller than Rihanna. Ariana would have lost to her too if the album was released this year. And btw I want to note that the same thing is about to happen to Ariana because Taylor Swift is releasing this year. Are you going to discredit TUN success just because a bigger act is going to sell better?

jaXXXon
7 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Work spent 9 weeks at #1. That’s the same number of weeks Ariana has spent in the top position her entire career. Her solo singles went top 10 and Needed Me is eligible for a 7Xs platinum certification. Love on the Brain is eligible for a 3Xs platinum certification. 

And as for “losing” to Lemonade...so what? Beyoncé has consistently been a bigger album seller than Rihanna. Ariana would have lost to her too if the album was released this year. And btw I want to note that the same thing is about to happen to Ariana because Taylor Swift is releasing this year. Are you going to discredit TUN success just because a bigger act is going to sell better?

How is 7 weeks at #1 with Thank U, Next + 5 weeks at #1 with 7 Rings = 9 weeks? Explain :huntyga:

Regarding the last thing, not what I meant. I'm just clarifying that ANTI wasn't her biggest era yet, which is what you implied by saying "came back harder than ever"  

LateToCult
24 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

How is 7 weeks at #1 with Thank U, Next + 5 weeks at #1 with 7 Rings = 9 weeks? Explain :huntyga:

Regarding the last thing, not what I meant. I'm just clarifying that ANTI wasn't her biggest era yet, which is what you implied by saying "came back harder than ever"  

That’s my bad. However it still doesn’t change the fact that 10/11 years into her career Rihanna had a song that spent 9 weeks at top which is just 3 weeks less than the the new her’s entire career. Ariana performs well but to be compared to Rihanna is ridiculous. Rihanna missed the top spot with Pon de Replay but once she got it with SOS she was able to replicate that chart-topping success again and again. Ariana in the meantime has had underwhelming chart performances as well as peaks. Rihanna stayed on top for some 9 years, had one moment of fumbling, then came back with a big #1 and another top 10 that went on to sell as well as Work. 

And if we get more picky we can say that Ariana’s first attempt to break out into the music scene in 2011 makes her career 8 years old and even less impressive than Rihanna’s because Rihanna was able to get the world’s attention at 17, on her first album, and without the help of the exposure Nickelodeon gave Ari.

Archived