💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Ariana is today's Rihanna

sipthistea

Featured Posts

I don't see it tbh, i feel like they are both very different. Rihanna had lots and lots of hits, Ariana has a fair few hits now but i dont see the correlation really.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlexanderMagno

I can see it, but Ariana is still a very early version of Rihanna. First , she needs to prove she can be as influential and successful as she is now in her 30s. Second, she needs to prove that  prove her name is powerful enough to create a hit wherever she's in. And that still doesn't happen.

jaXXXon
4 hours ago, LateToCult said:

Ariana is not the new Rihanna. It took her years to break out into the mainstream while Ri hit the ground running.  :triggered:

Took her years?! Gurl, what planet are you living on? 

- Ariana released her debut album in 2013 and scored one top 10 hit and so-so album sales. Rihanna released her debut album in 2005 with one top 10 single and so-so album sales

- Ariana's second album My Everything became a smash and spun hit-after-hit (Problem, Break Free, Love Me Harder, Bang Bang, One Last Time). RIhanna's second album had two big hits (SOS, Unfaithful) and okay album sales.

- Ariana's third studio LP Dangerous Woman spun a couple of moderate singles but only one huge smash (Side to Side). It ended up being seen as a hit though as the album was a streaming hit. Rihanna released her biggest hit yet with Umbrella and a huge third album (not The Fame-huge, but big nonetheless). She had another huge hit with Don't Stop the Music.

- Ariana becomes a much talked about celeb before releasing her fourth album Sweetener, which breaks streaming records and has a huge hit in the form of its lead single No Tears Left to Cry. This is the era where she starts being a huge radio favorite as well. Rihanna released an underperforming fourth album titled Rated R. but manages to score a #1 hit (Rude Boy). No huge WW smash though. 

- Ariana releases her biggest album yet with Thank U, Next and two consecutive #1 singles and breaks streaming records all the while spending three weeks at #1 on the album chart both in the US and globally. RIhanna releases Loud which has three consecutive #1 singles - a feat she hasn't replicated since. The album sells very very well and the era overall could be called her biggest ever. 

So it took Ariana one year after releasing her debut album to become a serious hit-maker and household name. It took Rihanna two years. And both their fifth albums (TUN and Loud) are probably their biggest eras, at least with more than one #1 single on the Hot 100. 

Add to that, both artists are/were releasing back-to-back albums but their album sales weren't as impressive as their peers (Ariana's pure sales are abysmal, Rihanna's biggest first week couldn't even beat ARTPOP's and that album is considered Gaga's flop :trollga:)

So to disagree that they have similar careers is... well... ignorant? 

jaXXXon
4 hours ago, kevinsteve said:

Rihanna commercially DESTROYS Ariana

Not really. Rihanna's album sales aren't as impressive as Gaga's, Beyoncé's or Adele's. ARTPOP sold more in its first week than any Rihanna album ever :ladyhaha: and she has never enjoyed the streaming success that Ariana's having. 

And if you're talking about her #1s (many of which benefit from featurings), then Mariah is bigger than Madonna and Katy is bigger than Gaga  :smh:

ItWasntLaauv

Rihanna is today’s Rihanna, Ariana is today’s Ariana and that’s that on that. :classy:

Gracious Gaga

Rihanna is today’s Rihanna 

♄ Kindness Police.

31 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

Not really. Rihanna's album sales aren't as impressive as Gaga's, Beyoncé's or Adele's. ARTPOP sold more in its first week than any Rihanna album ever :ladyhaha: and she has never enjoyed the streaming success that Ariana's having. 

And if you're talking about her #1s (many of which benefit from featurings), then Mariah is bigger than Madonna and Katy is bigger than Gaga  :smh:

he said destroys ari, not adele or beyoncé:triggered:
and rih is literally the second most streamed female and no album out in 3 years while ari pumped out 2 in the last year. 

LateToCult
1 hour ago, jaXXXon said:

Took her years?! Gurl, what planet are you living on? 

- Ariana released her debut album in 2013 and scored one top 10 hit and so-so album sales. Rihanna released her debut album in 2005 with one top 10 single and so-so album sales

- Ariana's second album My Everything became a smash and spun hit-after-hit (Problem, Break Free, Love Me Harder, Bang Bang, One Last Time). RIhanna's second album had two big hits (SOS, Unfaithful) and okay album sales.

- Ariana's third studio LP Dangerous Woman spun a couple of moderate singles but only one huge smash (Side to Side). It ended up being seen as a hit though as the album was a streaming hit. Rihanna released her biggest hit yet with Umbrella and a huge third album (not The Fame-huge, but big nonetheless). She had another huge hit with Don't Stop the Music.

- Ariana becomes a much talked about celeb before releasing her fourth album Sweetener, which breaks streaming records and has a huge hit in the form of its lead single No Tears Left to Cry. This is the era where she starts being a huge radio favorite as well. Rihanna released an underperforming fourth album titled Rated R. but manages to score a #1 hit (Rude Boy). No huge WW smash though. 

- Ariana releases her biggest album yet with Thank U, Next and two consecutive #1 singles and breaks streaming records all the while spending three weeks at #1 on the album chart both in the US and globally. RIhanna releases Loud which has three consecutive #1 singles - a feat she hasn't replicated since. The album sells very very well and the era overall could be called her biggest ever. 

So it took Ariana one year after releasing her debut album to become a serious hit-maker and household name. It took Rihanna two years. And both their fifth albums (TUN and Loud) are probably their biggest eras, at least with more than one #1 single on the Hot 100. 

Add to that, both artists are/were releasing back-to-back albums but their album sales weren't as impressive as their peers (Ariana's pure sales are abysmal, Rihanna's biggest first week couldn't even beat ARTPOP's and that album is considered Gaga's flop :trollga:)

So to disagree that they have similar careers is... well... ignorant? 

Ariana is literally nowhere near Rihanna’s level. Reciting her resume doesn’t change the fact that it took her 5/6 years to produce #1 smashes. Rihanna already had 5 #1s with only 17 singles released while Ariana already has 30 out as a lead. At the same point in her career Rihanna only had 5 songs that didn’t enter the top 10. People were listening to just about everything she put out. That’s a very important distinction.

Ella Chalcedony

:what:

Hunny, Rihanna has sold over 250 Million records! Ariana is nowhere near that (18.5 Million records) 

And nowhere near as ICONIC :ohwell:

Bradley

They're both distinctive artists with their own image and sound, I don't see the need to say one artist is just like the other, when that is certainly not the case.

I personally prefer Rihanna's music and attitude and everything she does imo, I do enjoy Ariana's work, she has a great voice but Rihanna has a certain quality about her that makes her so sexy, attractive and badass that I cannot find in anyone else, not even Gaga.

Rihanna seems like she can be serious and not serious at the same time, I dk how she pulls that off and she never appeared to me as generic. Sure she has some EDM hits like We Found Love and Where Have You Been, but the majority of her discography has never been to emulate the successful hits of anyone else. She's always trying to make music in her own way, giving directions to producers and such. She does write a handful of her songs though, albeit not every single one of them. One thing about Rihanna and Gaga is that, you could give them any song, even a generic one, and they would still be able to sing them in a way that makes them gold.

I think Rihanna is quite involved with her artistry contrary to what many people here claim.

Fingerella

I love them both and you’re reaching sis. 

Plus they both live for each other. Stop pitting them with one another.

jaXXXon
1 hour ago, LateToCult said:

Ariana is literally nowhere near Rihanna’s level. Reciting her resume doesn’t change the fact that it took her 5/6 years to produce #1 smashes. Rihanna already had 5 #1s with only 17 singles released while Ariana already has 30 out as a lead. At the same point in her career Rihanna only had 5 songs that didn’t enter the top 10. People were listening to just about everything she put out. That’s a very important distinction.

Rihanna had more #1s in 2009-11 than Gaga but we can both agree Gaga was clearly the bigger star. So even though Rihanna had more #1s than Ariana, it doesn't mean she can destroy her by any means. 

The important factor is that Ariana is HUGE right now and is scoring #1 hits. No one ever has the exact same career, so to count Ariana out is not right. I don't believe Rihanna could get bigger streams than Ariana in 2019. The only way that would happen is if she worked with Drake.

Archived