Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why are most producers male?

shame

Featured Posts

shame

Just wondering this because it seems like the credits of every pop album, especially by female pop stars, consist of a majority of male producers such as Dr. Luke, Max Martin, Ryan Tedder, Bloodpop, Greg Wells, Justin Tranter, Diplo, Mark Ronson, Greg Kurstin... etc. Why is it that there seems to be a lack of well known female producers, even on female albums?

angels forever, forever angels

FameMonster01

Stefani Germanotta is such an underrated producer, when she's older she should absolutely dive into producing for others 

Catnikko

Probably because more males find it interesting enough to get into,  no specific reason

like how most teachers are female

I think music production was historically inaccessible to women because top producers don't study music production the same way musicians might study musicology, performance, etc and university networking is very important for women and non-white men in all career fields, but particularly the entertainment industry. I think bedroom production is, very slowly, changing that. Men will always be in charge behind the scenes because it's simply a matter of control. Female popstars also don't have female managers, music video directors, A&R, etc. 

Not The Real Gaga
25 minutes ago, FameMonster01 said:

Stefani Germanotta is such an underrated producer, when she's older she should absolutely dive into producing for others 

Inb4 Leedie GehGeh is a male!1!1!111!!!

LaLa

The music industry is incredibly sexist, wbk. 

Here is a recent article from Refinery29 talking about it.

"Analyzing the most popular songs from 2012 to 2018, the study found that women are still statistically insignificant in many areas. Women make up only 2.1 % of producers — women of color were only 4 out of 871 producers on those tracks, rendering them nearly invisible —, a mere 12.3% of songwriters, and a pathetic 17.1% of artists on the charts."

Gaga in many of her speeches for Shallow mentioned being taken seriously as a female songwriter, and she's one of the biggest names out there. Imagine someone just starting out. 

Glamourpuss

I'm guessing because it's one of those industries that don't open the door for women. It's always the impression I got anyway. I'm glad things are changing. 

Defmix100

I don't know if it's sexism or a matter of interest. I was just thinking yesterday all receptionists I've seen are women and all bin men and window cleaners are men

1 hour ago, Unbeweavable said:

Probably because more males find it interesting enough to get into,  no specific reason

like how most teachers are female

This exactly.

ShayCristoforo

Most positions of authority are occupied by males. We're still gradually trying grow out of a history where men have made the decisions when it comes to business and products. It's been thousands of years in the making. I also think that many women don't push for producing, because they don't see themselves represented in leadership. The examples are minimal. The opportunities aren't demonstrated. So the interest isn't high.    

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Archived