Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What kind of accent does Gaga speak with?

shame

Featured Posts

GypsyBabe

She has an rich NYC accent. A Manhattan accent. A well educated girl accent. 

⚯͛

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YourWhiskyMouth

Her voice gets much more tough/urban New Yorker when she talks with black people :ladyhaha:

there’s a few instances of this but I’m forgetting where.

shame
9 minutes ago, mauvais said:

She over enunciates compared to the Standard American speaker because she is from New York, elitely educated and a trained performer. Like Glamourpuss said, she's very serious about her Ts. Her dialect shift is both because she dropped the pretense of early career and, I think, because she lives in California. 

A linguist just published a long post about her dialect  in her music but not a lot about her speaking voice 

https://www.acelinguist.com/2018/12/dialect-dissection-lady-gaga.html

This is so neat! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely give it a read. 

angels forever, forever angels

FfFfFfFF
51 minutes ago, mauvais said:

She over enunciates compared to the Standard American speaker because she is from New York, elitely educated and a trained performer. Like Glamourpuss said, she's very serious about her Ts. Her dialect shift is both because she dropped the pretense of early career and, I think, because she lives in California. 

A linguist just published a long post about her dialect  in her music but not a lot about her speaking voice 

That article is so interesting! Especially for a fan that listened to every one of her song so many times, it's fun to see all these subtle things in her pronunciation.

AshIey

Her voice being nasally isn’t an accent lol. She has a standard American accent with slight NYC influences.

Smother Em Eh

Idk that’s a good question. 

She also had a weird accent in some German interviews from the AP Era and I could never find out what it was. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

calmar
13 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

@calmar is the expert.  Shed some light! 

Basically what everyone else has said and what mauvais posted (although I find some of that article writer's transcriptions faulty.)

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

SharkmanthaC
5 minutes ago, calmar said:

Basically what everyone else has said and what mauvais posted (although I find some of that article writer's transcriptions faulty.)

4 hours ago, mauvais said:

IA! I study linguistic anthropology  but acelinguist's format is really helpful because  I grew up in a bidialectical household and my ear doesn't notice these differences (others find the double awareness helpful, I just don't). I love that Gaga's a marry-merry non-merged unicorn! 

I totally missed this @mauvais! I'm sorry.  I will remember that you also study linguistics next time.

she/her/hers

Helxig

In her earlier years I think it was more high pitched/nasally/girly as a sort of automatic defense mechanism because she felt shy. A lot of girls snap into that voice when they're shy.

You can often hear her New York accent coming through too, moreso when she's living/staying there. And it comes flying out when she spends time with Tony lol.

During the ARTPOP/perfume era I think her accent got mixed up because:

1. she was travelling a lot and doing a lot of pr. Which can make people's accents get confused as they have to enunciate differently and adapt their speaking style to be understood (also see Madonna).

2. she was very high all the time... and probably thought that pronouncing her T's and and P's strongly made her sound sophisticated :laughga:  also I've heard some singers practise doing this because it makes their singing better (so they don't sound unintelligible when singing like Ariana)

Also I think living in LA she's taken on a bit of that accent too.

I've noticed it changes all the time. And it seems to be influenced by who she's been around, where she's living, how she's feeling, what she's doing with her career, if she's travelling a lot and talking to foreigners.

Also this is so true :laughga: ...

5 hours ago, YourWhiskyMouth said:

Her voice gets much more tough/urban New Yorker when she talks with black people :ladyhaha:

there’s a few instances of this but I’m forgetting where.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

SharkmanthaC
1 minute ago, mauvais said:

Not a problem :hug: Linguistic anthropology is a little different, though, so @calmar is definitely more informed if they're studying linguistics. I am interested in how people use language to construct their identities, not particularly the structure of language, etc.  

This has to be super interesting.

she/her/hers

Helxig

I just found this super interesting article about her accents in her songs with vocal clips added in:

I knew I wasn't crazy to think she has 'Gaga'isms'. The way she adds and 'aah' to the end of words, stresses the wrong parts of words, her nasality etc.

They even mention how she stopped doing that so much after ARTPOP. Which makes sense as to why a lot of people said Joanne didn't sound like her. Remove the Gaga'isms and add in some Southern inflections and it's a whole different voice.

And funnily enough the songs referenced for her overarticulating her T's and P's were all from ARTPOP :laughga:   the same era where she was overarticulating in her speaking voice in interviews. I knew it was all relative.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

2School4Cool

It’s so funny to me how her accent changes depending on the city or country she’s in. Her accent at American shows is different from European shows :ladyhaha:

See The Best In Everyone

• 11 months later...
Delaney Elias
On 3/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, JustAnother said:

The accent/voice she puts on when she talks to her pets :laughga:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the cutest thing! She sounds so different and even more adorable (even though that's not really possible. 

Delaney

BlackCrown
9 minutes ago, Delaney Elias said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the cutest thing! She sounds so different and even more adorable (even though that's not really possible. 

Didn't expect to step into a one year old thread by clicking in the "Trending Now" category :laughga:

My crown is black, like the soul of fame

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived