Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne should have been bolder

Featured Posts

joannesrats

I've been thinking about making a thread about Joanne and how it wasn't really a personal album for her but a PR move to reshape her image to make sure that the transition to actress didn't seem like she was faking it. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doncho
2 hours ago, Sanne Godijn said:

ASIB was a soundtrack for the movie not a gaga album

Yes but she still included some bops to her fans I believe. It may not be a "Gaga album" but she still wrote every one of her songs

Schwerk
36 minutes ago, Ktaylor99 said:

Nope. Again, it’s an Italian thing. Her Grandma is closed off about the loss. Her dad walked out of the room when she played the song.

This is something you have to experience to understand but I bet everything I own that it’s 100% genuine. 

My Nonna lost her older sister when she as 19 and I to this day feel like it is my loss and obviously I didn’t know know her. But she won’t talk about to in a healthy way. Same with every loss my family has experienced since.

Watching that part of FF2 was surreal for me. 

Exactly.

I also think the death of Joanne has such a big impact on Gaga because it had such a huge impact on her father. The loss of his sister made Joe a different person, influenced him as a father. I believe Gaga once said he had struggled with (alcohol) addiction. She grew up daddy's little girl, wanting to see him happy, even when she was rebelling against him. Her grandma just grieves differently then Joe did, it formed his youth and later his adulthood and therefor his own children. 

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

A Hybrid
5 hours ago, Bloody Grammys said:

Joanne is too mild to have Gaga's name attached to it. Tracks like Million Reasons, Come To Mama, Angel Down or Dancin In Circles are good. But there are some tracks that are just too empty like Perfect Illusion or Diamond Heart.

Joanne is my least favorite album because of that. Not because of the sound. ASIB tracks got it all right however.

Edit: I'm glad it happened though. I think it was important for her.

I have to laugh. Here comes a rant.

Diamond Heart has great lyrics and amazing bold vocals, it sounds old school and fresh at the same time. Perfect Illusion is far away from the mainstream pop sound, which must be why you disliked it judging by the tracks you liked, but it’s a lively and moody pop-rock anthem to blast in your car that has meaningful lyrics. Neither of these tracks are “empty”, they’re two of the least empty tracks on Joanne.

Million Reasons has the blandest and the most repetitive lyrics, the most overused 4 chords of the music history, easy (but still good) vocals and a mainstream ballad sound with little to no melody in instrumental. That song is the definition of playing it easy and empty. Come To Mama has cringey lyrics like a 5 year old wrote it and falls off too childish to give a political message. Dancin’ In Circles and Angel Down are good and creative songs though.

As for A Star Is Born soundtrack, it has the devil trio of Heal Me, Why Did You Do That and Hair Body Face... That’s not even Gaga. That’s really not Gaga. You can’t possibly say Gaga found her true self there, these songs are literally made for someone else’s story...

No family’s safe when I sashay

AshIey

How is it not personal when pretty much every song is about her life?

What does it matter if she didn’t have a song about her rape? She has to discuss that openly in her music to be deemed personal to you? :wtf:

Diamond heart99
2 hours ago, Marjol said:

Exactly.

I also think the death of Joanne has such a big impact on Gaga because it had such a huge impact on her father. The loss of his sister made Joe a different person, influenced him as a father. I believe Gaga once said he had struggled with (alcohol) addiction. She grew up daddy's little girl, wanting to see him happy, even when she was rebelling against him. Her grandma just grieves differently then Joe did, it formed his youth and later his adulthood and therefor his own children. 

Spot on. That’s probably 75% of why she wants to make her dad happy, because of his loss. I know that’s how I feel about my Nonna. The loss of my great Aunt changed how my Nonna raised her kids and then how my mother raised me. 

Remember in that CBS Sunday morning appearance she did, how she said making her dad happy meant everything to her.

You can be the bad rebellious kid and still feel the urge to heal your parents pain; through making them proud of you.

I’ve been there. I’m still there. 

Perhaps that’s why I related to Joanne so much and lose my mind when people sh!t on the album. 

Or I need to embrace my Irish side more 😏

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

Diamond heart99
30 minutes ago, PhillipBagshaw said:

I've been thinking about making a thread about Joanne and how it wasn't really a personal album for her but a PR move to reshape her image to make sure that the transition to actress didn't seem like she was faking it. 

No need. 

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

Sanne Godijn
52 minutes ago, Doncho said:

Yes but she still included some bops to her fans I believe. It may not be a "Gaga album" but she still wrote every one of her songs

I know but asib is a soundtrack the songs are made to fit in the story not too please her fans

Ziggy

I think a big thing is that it doesn’t go far enough down the rabbit hole of where she’d clearly like to have gone. She infused pop with so much of it that it stripped away the authenticity. Pop can be authentic, but Gaga’s brand is distinctly *not* (by her own admission, I might add) so when she was going back and forth with Bobby to make Joanne as an era, she tried to elevate it to appease the label but that wasn’t where her heart was. She wanted to dive deeper, clearly.

crisTEAne
2 hours ago, Marjol said:

I love Joanne as a whole and it feels very personal to me. Maybe not as dark as The Fame Monster.

Diamond Heart is basically her bio, it's about her struggle to get to the top and how that journey and it's consequences is still part of her.

Joanne is about the impact of her aunts death on her and her family. She was a main motivator behind Gaga wanting to be an artist and her father Joe supporting her in every way.

Grigio Girls is about Sonja and her other friends that stick by one another through it all and put her crazy world into perspective

John Wayne is about her falling for the wrong men, a re-accuring theme but that doesnt make in less personal.

Perfect Illusion must be about Taylor, even if she denies it. The fire inside her when she performed it really makes it feel personal.

Million Reasons also about Taylor

Sinners Prayer literally about her break-up with Taylor (verse 1) and Luc (verse 2, her old self is the 'baby sister') This is one of my favourite songs on the album. Love the melody, the deep guitar sound and her dark vocals. 

Angel Down is personal in the sense that Gaga really feels the pain of what is wrong with society, the lack of kindness, the injustice. It really gets to her and she needs an outlet in the form of a song like this.

The album feels a bit rushed to me but maybe because of that also very balanced. They all had a few songs done which they drew inspiration from to create the rest. In the future I would love to see her do a musically innovative album with orchestra's and unexpected use of instruments and sounds combined with compelling lyrics with her famous double entendre sprinkled throughout. 

1 hour ago, Enzo said:

So sorry to see that people can't interpret an album :poot:

If you can't relate to the songs it doesn't mean that it isn't personal

Grigio Girls about Sonja, Joanne about her aunt, Sinner's Prayer and Perfect Illusion about Taylor, Diamond Heart about her, Million Reasons, etc, if those are not personal then I don't know what you interpret by "personal"

also: JAD is about her mental health struggles (simplicity, presence, self, etc.), DIC is literally about her vagina (how much more "personal" can you get, really? :poot:), and C2M is kinda a social-themed anthem (similarly to AD).

i don't really know what a-yo is about; it's kinda the only song i don't really care about. :lolly:

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Galactastica

It's weird to see some of you say "Joanne is not a 'Gaga' album" when the reason I got into Gaga in the first place is seeing her play Poker Face at the piano, Viva La Vida at a radio station, and seeing that rawness in her from the beginning, the same rawness I clearly see in Joanne. 

Nobody's everybody's favorite
So you might as well just make it how you please

bloody g
1 hour ago, A Hybrid said:

I have to laugh. Here comes a rant.

Diamond Heart has great lyrics and amazing bold vocals, it sounds old school and fresh at the same time. Perfect Illusion is far away from the mainstream pop sound, which must be why you disliked it judging by the tracks you liked, but it’s a lively and moody pop-rock anthem to blast in your car that has meaningful lyrics. Neither of these tracks are “empty”, they’re two of the least empty tracks on Joanne.

Million Reasons has the blandest and the most repetitive lyrics, the most overused 4 chords of the music history, easy (but still good) vocals and a mainstream ballad sound with little to no melody in instrumental. That song is the definition of playing it easy and empty. Come To Mama has cringey lyrics like a 5 year old wrote it and falls off too childish to give a political message. Dancin’ In Circles and Angel Down are good and creative songs though.

As for A Star Is Born soundtrack, it has the devil trio of Heal Me, Why Did You Do That and Hair Body Face... That’s not even Gaga. That’s really not Gaga. You can’t possibly say Gaga found her true self there, these songs are literally made for someone else’s story...

I have to laugh too.

No one cares about pop tracks on ASIB that's first.

And second, MR is bold because it is unsafe. It is surprising and unprecedented for a pop girl. DH and PI are just there, no one will remember them when she is gone. No one even remembers them now :fan:

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

YeehawKylie

I hate that the entire post by the OP relies on comparisons to other “stripped down” female albums. While Rainbow, Joanne, and Younger Now obviously share a similar genre (one that both Kesha and Miley had worked in prior unlike Gaga), treating them all as the same genre is such an insult to how broad music can be. 

The bars of Nashville that inspire Kesha and the dive bars of NYC that inspire Gaga are very different and diverse. Kesha wrote an album very much about her personal crises at the time, but chose to not weigh down the entire album with such heavy themes. Gaga did the same?

Anyways, I hate that I’m indulging in such comparisons. Joanne is very much a personal album and it’s my personal favorite of hers. I am totally willing to hear criticism, as I readily understand it was not for everyone. However, I think this “opinion” is far too shrouded in unworthy comparisons. 

Critique the album itself and then we can talk. 

2School4Cool
7 hours ago, hurricane326 said:

Rainbow by Kesha. Her years of abuse and torment are channeled into a masterpiece album of regret, anger, and redemption, that is what Joanne should have been

Before I state my opinion I want to make it clear that I respect yours. We can agree to disagree. You say that this is what Joanne should have been, but I don’t think this is what she wanted Joanne to be. Joanne wasn’t about channeling regret, anger, or redemption, it was about sharing a lesser known side of herself, which I feel she did. Her prior albums suited where she was in her life at that moment. The Fame had to deal with her idea of celebrity and her striving to make it in the industry. Born This Way was her using this new platform she has to spread a message of love and compassion, while also finding ways to relate to and connect with her fans. ARTPOP was her healing process after the pain of the prior era, wanting to escape into a world of electronic music. Joanne comes along and represents Stefani Joanne Angelina Germonatta. Instead of her reflecting on who Lady Gaga was in that moment, she reflected on the more personal inspirations the world was less familiar with. She sings about Joanne, Sonja, failed relationships, desires for future relationships, etc. It’s as if she went back to the mindset of a 16 year old girl who isn’t famous and isn’t a household name, and wrote about what matters to her, while still managing to include some fun songs in the mix. Songs like Applause could have never been written if she was not a famous performer. The songs on Joanne don’t stem from fame or celebrity, but rather her as a daughter, a sister, and a friend. I believe the album met its goal perfectly. Again, this is all my opinion, and you are entitled to your own opinion. 

See The Best In Everyone

I think this thread should have been titled "Joanne was not what I wanted it to be" or "I wanted Joanne to be bolder"

Archived