Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne should have been bolder

Featured Posts

crisTEAne

on a semi-related note, my most relatable song is just another day right now. such a vibey mental health anthem. :diane:

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anisko
1 hour ago, monketsharona said:

I hate those threads in which Joanne fans say Joanne is her authentic era in which she showed talent and actually shading not directly her first 4 albums.

As if she needed Joanne to show she is talented. Seriously 

lucille-portable.gif

Only real Monsters know talent and authenticity were here since The Fame ;) 

I couldn't agree more..  I mean i adore joanne but it's not the album that showed me how much gaga is talented..  I knew she's talented since the day one .

Pray4FameGa
2 hours ago, hurricane326 said:

We all know Joanne was Gaga's attempt at creating a "personal" album, and the reason I say 'attempt' is because I think it's not personal. Gaga used Joanne Germ as an inspiration, not herself, and this is where all the 6/10 reviews came from. Of course the NYTimes review was bull, but Pitchfork and Fantano rightfully pointed out its flaws. To further my point, we can take a look at some other (albeit worse) "personal albums"

Britney Jean is the obvious catastrophe - will.i.am ruined its production and its so generic and uninspired, and Britney has won much more acclaim with bangers than personal tracks

Younger Now - a painfully obvious PR move that would never have been without Joanne

Man of the Woods - another ripoff 

But there's one good one that actually built off personal struggle

Rainbow by Kesha. Her years of abuse and torment are channeled into a masterpiece album of regret, anger, and redemption, that is what Joanne should have been, but also could not have been. That's my point! Gaga simply did not have the material, and she has preferred to keep mostly quiet about her rape at 19, possibly she can't artistically channel it for various reason, or is uncomfortable. 

Joanne was a good move to earn a wider audience, but for long time fans like myself and critics, it is lacking. Rant over. Thoughts?

I’ve never understood so called critics who judge an album based on what they think it should be rather than what it is. 

LOL SHES TRYING TO DO COUNTRY BUT ITS NOT COUNTRY ENOUGH TOO MUCH POP 4/10 INAUTHENTIC.

Like, you think she hasn’t considered the sound when making it and wanted it to be a pop rock/ country fusion.

misunderstood

Stopped reading at “Fantano” :messga:

Absolutely garbage and I don’t even care for Joanne.

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

gumzy3000

Joanne is not my favorite album for her but she really needed a detox after ARTPOP. Her image was being overtaken by her antics and people were not taking her seriously (I LOVE ARTPOP by the way but the GP was super against her due to it). Joanne was a great palette cleanser for her overall career and a step in the right direction. Nothing more or less. It definitely could have been sharper but I do not think Gaga was even trying to get to be a big hit rather, she was trying to take a breather and going with what her gut told her to make. 

EDIT: Also want to add that the biggest flaw of Joanne was that Gaga was trying too hard to make it seem like her authentic, true self. I get it, it really was Gaga being personal but the critics, fans and even GP saw this as almost laughable. So when she was singing bold, pop and dance tracks she wasn't being personal? Does singing lyrics over a smooth country sound make the music more personal? It was too cliche and gimmicky in my opinion, like way too calculated. That fact in itself makes Joanne seem nowhere near as authentic to me as ARTPOP was. Sounds weird but just think about it for a second and you will see what I mean. 

trolly troll troll

Sanne Godijn
2 hours ago, Doncho said:

For sure! And maybe she also wanted to, to satisfy her "old" fans. She even did it for ASIB with Heal Me, WDYDT and Hair Body Face

ASIB was a soundtrack for the movie not a gaga album

matteonster

I think some people here pointed out well that it wasn’t meant to be “the personal album” in a usual pop girl career that they pull out and then return to the same type of music they usually do.

Without all the comparison, I think it is indeed personal as the issues discussed on this record are seen through the eyes of her. She was also in a totally different state of mind when she wrote this album compared to the previous one and that shows growth.

I guess at the end of the day it is a really personal album to her and also a chance for the fans and general public to have a peek at her life and see what’s made her the woman she is today.

“Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are.”

Diamond heart99

Joanne is personal.

Often times in Italian Catholic families (especially my own experience) they don’t deal with loss in a healthy way. 

The loss of Joanne affected Gaga because of how it affected her grandma and dad. It’s like a domino affect.

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

RochestrMonstr

I've been a fan since 2009, and I think Joanne is one of her strongest albums, very personal, and was a nice change of pace.   

I've always felt that a couple of the upbeat songs on the album were somewhat of a compromise to try to make some of the fans who wanted an electronic album happy (Mainly DIC), but she definitely made them fit the vibe she was going for.  

I wouldn't want Gaga to permanently "switch" to Joanne's sound or anything like that, but I like that she did it.  She's always changing her sound and Joanne was just another avenue for her to explore.  I wouldn't expect LG6 to sound like Joanne, or any of her other albums either.  

TimisaMonster

Well the try hard attempt at Country/Americana vibe was very try hard to me...especially since Perfect Illusion was not an indication to how the rest of the album sounded 

The concept was a bit exaggerated...even Gaga crying about Joanne in the documentary and her grandma kinda calling her out like... "Stefani you didnt even know her why are you balling in front of these film cameras?" :awkney:

The music was also not very catchy...and felt hollow and rushed...especially since she scrapped her original LG5 concept which was all Intel and RedOne and a return to dark pop....

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Schwerk

I love Joanne as a whole and it feels very personal to me. Maybe not as dark as The Fame Monster.

Diamond Heart is basically her bio, it's about her struggle to get to the top and how that journey and it's consequences is still part of her.

Joanne is about the impact of her aunts death on her and her family. She was a main motivator behind Gaga wanting to be an artist and her father Joe supporting her in every way.

Grigio Girls is about Sonja and her other friends that stick by one another through it all and put her crazy world into perspective

John Wayne is about her falling for the wrong men, a re-accuring theme but that doesnt make in less personal.

Perfect Illusion must be about Taylor, even if she denies it. The fire inside her when she performed it really makes it feel personal.

Million Reasons also about Taylor

Sinners Prayer literally about her break-up with Taylor (verse 1) and Luc (verse 2, her old self is the 'baby sister') This is one of my favourite songs on the album. Love the melody, the deep guitar sound and her dark vocals. 

Angel Down is personal in the sense that Gaga really feels the pain of what is wrong with society, the lack of kindness, the injustice. It really gets to her and she needs an outlet in the form of a song like this.

The album feels a bit rushed to me but maybe because of that also very balanced. They all had a few songs done which they drew inspiration from to create the rest. In the future I would love to see her do a musically innovative album with orchestra's and unexpected use of instruments and sounds combined with compelling lyrics with her famous double entendre sprinkled throughout. 

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

giskardsb
2 hours ago, T E A said:

on a semi-related note, my most relatable song is just another day right now. such a vibey mental health anthem. :diane:

great song and such a throwback to some of her early Beatles influenced demos.

Diamond heart99
2 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

Well the try hard attempt at Country/Americana vibe was very try hard to me...especially since Perfect Illusion was not an indication to how the rest of the album sounded 

The concept was a bit exaggerated...even Gaga crying about Joanne in the documentary and her grandma kinda calling her out like... "Stefani you didnt even know her why are you balling in front of these film cameras?:awkney:

The music was also not very catchy...and felt hollow and rushed...especially since she scrapped her original LG5 concept which was all Intel and RedOne and a return to dark pop....

Nope. Again, it’s an Italian thing. Her Grandma is closed off about the loss. Her dad walked out of the room when she played the song.

This is something you have to experience to understand but I bet everything I own that it’s 100% genuine. 

My Nonna lost her older sister when she as 19, to this day I feel like it is my loss and obviously I didn’t know her. But she won’t talk about to in a healthy way. Same with every loss my family has experienced since.

Watching that part of FF2 was surreal for me. 

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

Enzo

So sorry to see that people can't interpret an album :poot:

If you can't relate to the songs it doesn't mean that it isn't personal

Grigio Girls about Sonja, Joanne about her aunt, Sinner's Prayer and Perfect Illusion about Taylor, Diamond Heart about her, Million Reasons, etc, if those are not personal then I don't know what you interpret by "personal"

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

WORLDofGAGA

I like Joanne, it has some of my favourite Gaga songs on it, although for me I see BTW more of a personal album to Gaga, in terms of her feeling an outsider, being bullied, identity, songs like hair, btw especially the beginning lyrics, marry the night and video. I’m not saying that Joanne isn’t. I’m glad she made Joanne as it showed a different side to her and let people see how talented she was, although it’s sad that they only realised it when she stripped down visually.  You can tell from million reasons for instance how she relates and feels that song just how she sings it alone! 

@W0RLDofGAGA

Archived