Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne should have been bolder

Featured Posts

JustAnother
9 minutes ago, hurricane326 said:

The title track works in this regard, as does Diamond Heart especially, but Angel Down feels empty and too gloomy for a political statement. Come to Mama is quite achingly generic, Million Reasons is pretty good I guess. Same with Grigio Girls. I see your point, but I still thing its lacking in punch and soul. Perfect Illusion is furious but it's basically a chorus repeated four times after the first two verses. Gaga has stated herself that she likes A-YO the most out of all of them

You originally complain about how un-personal it is and now you’re complaining it lacked soul? So you actually don’t have a problem with the contents but the delivery. Might want to clear that up in the OP... 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JustAnother said:

You originally complain about how un-personal it is and now you’re complaining it lacked soul? So you actually don’t have a problem with the contents but the delivery. Might want to clear that up in the OP... 

Exactly

FfFfFfFF

Joanne is a family figure that impacted her whole life and even gave her her middle name. 

I agree as a whole ablut the album being a bit lackluster and lacking direction but you just can't say the album is not personal because it was inspired by Joanne.

monketsharona

I hate those threads in which Joanne fans say Joanne is her authentic era in which she showed talent and actually shading not directly her first 4 albums.

As if she needed Joanne to show she is talented. Seriously 

lucille-portable.gif

Only real Monsters know talent and authenticity were here since The Fame ;) 

JustAnother
4 minutes ago, Doncho said:

I think she really didnt know what to do with the album. It is "personal" but it also has songs like Perfect Illusion and Dancin in Circles (wich I love) that doesnt fit with the personal stuff. Not to mention her fashion was toned down sometimes and then she would come up with John Wayne crazy video or some look with super high heels.

Also the simple videos of the era failed to be good. They are just... there. Gaga promoting Perfect illusion video as "Im just singing the song" still hurts to this day :selena:

I actually agree than sonically and purpose wise DIC stands out from the album and shouldn’t have been featured. PI makes sense as it’s kinda useful in the album and serves as a breaking point between the first and second half of the album. Also she’s done the whole tones down to crazy with the past few eras, ARTPOP and CTC, where she tries to clean up her image and be more natural/mature but it doesn’t last long ksjsjks. 

Didymus
7 minutes ago, Doncho said:

I think she really didnt know what to do with the album. It is "personal" but it also has songs like Perfect Illusion and Dancin in Circles (wich I love) that doesnt fit with the personal stuff. Not to mention her fashion was toned down sometimes and then she would come up with John Wayne crazy video or some look with super high heels.

Also the simple videos of the era failed to be good. They are just... there. Gaga promoting Perfect illusion video as "Im just singing the song" still hurts to this day :selena:

I don't think she'll ever admit it 'cause it clashes with her public image but I think Interscope pressured her to have a few standard pop hits on there which manifested as the up tempo tracks on the album.

She, as always, made sure there is some autobiographical inspiration that she could always explain in interviews to make the song seem intellectual and original but yeah... That definitely is an afterthought. Which is kind of a letdown after her whole post-2013 "I will not let my label interfere again!!" parade.

That J

I personally think she is too young to make a completely honest full on self reflected album just like she is too young to write her autobiography. She is still in the middle of so much and I imagine one day that album will come from her. However, there is plenty of time for that.

Joanne surprised me over time in becoming one of my regular go to albums. I simply like the style of the majority of songs and find her vocals to be amazing on it. However, song selection is a tad strange. To be called Joanne and have songs like that one, Angel Down, Sinners Prayer...even Just Another Day and then plop Dancing In Circles in the middle feels misdirected. 

I think a few elements were at play here. The album she wanted to make is within the track listing, but it seems she also tried to give her bop oriented fans a couple tracks as well. 

For me, it doesnt matter. There are about 10 songs from that album I love and theres also a way to shift the track list to make the album make a little more sense. 

Give her 10 more years and we will get a "Stefani" or "Gaga" or whatnot and the things she didnt say here will be said there and then some. 

She may not have been ready to fully go into certain topics at this rate. Plus in ways I'm glad she didnt. She needs to be in a completely strong mindset to perform songs about insanely deep experiences night after night. 

For now, Joanne seems to be more of a dedication to family, to memory and to youth rather than personal therapy with a beat behind it.   

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Doncho
5 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I don't think she'll ever admit it 'cause it clashes with her public image but I think Interscope pressured her to have a few standard pop hits on there which manifested as the up tempo tracks on the album.

For sure! And maybe she also wanted to, to satisfy her "old" fans. She even did it for ASIB with Heal Me, WDYDT and Hair Body Face

Sneaky Oliver
27 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Whatever her intention, I still don't understand what songs she's talking about :air: Like, ok, you have Million Reasons and Angel Down which are sort of (not really though) inspirational and impactful from a lyrical pov but most of them... aren't :laughga: When I think of John Wayne and Dancin' in Circles I'm just like... seriously? This is progress for her discography? :madge:

Plenty of them: Diamond Heart, Grigio Girls, Million Reasons, Just Another Day, Joanne...

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Didymus
10 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

Plenty of them: Diamond Heart, Grigio Girls, Million Reasons, Just Another Day, Joanne...

I mean, sure they're inspirational in an easy-on-the-ear instantly understandable way but there are hardly any lyrical revelations or moments of genius on there :toofunny:

I get it but then I think of songs like Speechless and Dope and think: nope, she's done so much better in the past. I mean, sure, you could also argue that Demi Lovato's songs are inspirational and autobiographical but... why?

Pablo
53 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

Stream Million Reasons :vegas: 

The remix is 10000x better

Don't visit my profile

That J

"John Wayne" is one of the faster songs that actually make sense for a personal type album. She's admitting something about her taste/type that can be strong and hot to her even if that type can be dangerous and ultimately bad for her. She cant disconnect herself from this type to open her mind and heart to the good boy that would treat her like gold. 

At least that's my interpretation. I think that is all very past tense though. But when I was in my 20's I was the SAME WAY! Thank God for the Clarity of the 30s!  Hahaha

Perfect Illusion is like the aftermath of another John Wayne episode. She fell again (probably even told herself not to fall in love but it happened), then comes the typical same old same old end where he rides off and shes left in the literal dust.  It wasnt love! God, it was good (perfect) but it wasnt real (illusion). Been there! Done that!  

So John Wayne and Perfect Illusion make sense to me as songs of a personal nature.

I'm sure there are personal things in alot of her songs that's coded and only she knows what she is speaking about.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

jujubaruda
1 minute ago, That J said:

"John Wayne" is one of the faster songs that actually make sense for a personal type album. She's admitting something about her taste/type that can be strong and hot to her even if that type can be dangerous and ultimately bad for her. She cant disconnect herself from this type to open her mind and heart to the good boy that would treat her like gold. 

So is Judas.

51 minutes ago, Bloody Grammys said:

Joanne is too mild to have Gaga's name attached to it. Tracks like Million Reasons, Come To Mama, Angel Down or Dancin In Circles are good. But there are some tracks that are just too empty like Perfect Illusion or Diamond Heart.

Joanne is my least favorite album because of that. Not because of the sound. ASIB tracks got it all right however.

Edit: I'm glad it happened though. I think it was important for her.

You need to excuse yourself because Diamond Heart is top 5 Gaga songs easily.

Archived