Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne should have been bolder

Featured Posts

MessyTop

Bottom line, Joanne’s music sucks. It wasn’t a good album. Nobody is dying to hear the “hits” from Joanne. So that’s that. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MessyTop
14 hours ago, Bradley said:

Here are my two cents.

I just think this fanbase, or rather music fans in general, are so largely influenced by a pop album's chart status and award recognition. I'm not even sure why this thread was made, is it because it sold only (this is obviously sarcasm) 1 million copies?

If the album sold 3 million copies worldwide, would this thread even be made? Gaga could change absolutely nothing about the music, but with a hypothetical fact that Million Reasons sold 2 million copies, people would say something like 'Sis the GP clearly loved it.' It just shows how we are speaking about an album's numbers, not sounds.

I really think to objectively judge music, we should take note of what we feel when we listen to the song and album themselves. I just don't think music fans in general exercise this caution sufficiently.

Every single song in Joanne sounds absolutely fine to me, the vocals and musicianship displayed were the most polished among her discography, and the album is diverse, emotional and yes, personal.

Even my father who knew nothing about Gaga thought Joanne (song) was strikingly moving. And I remember a lot of fans, including myself, were bawling at first listens to Joanne, Million Reasons and Angel Down. But at this point we've probably heard the songs for more than 200 times, which obviously explains why the emotional resonance may pale if compared to two years before.

I'm not saying it's the greatest album ever made, but it was the right move, it was personal, it was moving to a lot of people, and how do you reckon it gained so many new fans in previously untouched demographies if it had no substance of its own?

Nobody is going to say 'I like Lady Gaga now after Joanne.' if the album was lackluster (See Younger Now, Britney Jean and Man of the Woods).

And there were days after ARTPOP when I thought the Grammys wouldn't recognise her again, but it was nominated for three Grammys and won one. Something can't be said about Witness, Younger Now, Man of the Woods, Britney Jean and whatever forgotten pop stars out there.

Gurl. The album sucks. Nobody wants to hear those songs. Is not rocket   Science

Bradley
1 minute ago, GagainsiderNYC said:

Gurl. The album sucks. Nobody wants to hear those songs. Is not rocket   Science

Is that your best attempt at convincing someone of an opinion?

MessyTop
Just now, Bradley said:

Is that your best attempt at convincing someone of an opinion?

Delusion, convince yourself. Joannne has no hits. Gurl it’s ok. You can love the album, but it had no impact in pop culture or in Gaga’s discography 

Bradley
5 minutes ago, GagainsiderNYC said:

Delusion, convince yourself. Joannne has no hits. Gurl it’s ok. You can love the album, but it had no impact in pop culture or in Gaga’s discography 

Not trying to be rude but your responses are disastrously weak and unconvincing.

Besides, if you say something like 'it has no hit' to justify why an album is bad, rather than commenting on the melodies, lyrics and musicianship of the songs, then maybe you ought to talk to someone else who calibrates quality by certifications and sales performance, something I, and presumably a lot of other rational people, do not believe in.

It's funny Joanne is the only Gaga album which has a 'Recognition and Impact' segment in its Wikipedia page, something I can't say about Born This Way and ARTPOP.

MessyTop
5 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Not trying to be rude but your responses are disastrously weak and unconvincing.

Besides, if you say something like 'it has no hit' to justify why an album is bad, rather than commenting on the melodies, lyrics and musicianship of the songs, then maybe you ought to talk to someone else who calibrates quality by certifications and sales performance, something I, and presumably a lot of other rational people, do not believe in.

It's funny Joanne is the only Gaga album which has a 'Recognition and Impact' segment in its Wikipedia page, something I can't say about Born This Way and ARTPOP.

Ok Werk. Grab a random person on the street and ask them Joannne and seee what they say. Listen , is ok for you to love Joanne, all good. 

Also wikipedia page means nothing honey! Sorry. 

giskardsb
9 minutes ago, GagainsiderNYC said:

Ok Werk. Grab a random person on the street and ask them Joannne and seee what they say. Listen , is ok for you to love Joanne, all good. 

Also wikipedia page means nothing honey! Sorry. 

However if you ask them about Million Reasons they'll know it. 

MessyTop
Just now, giskardsb said:

Meh! 

RochestrMonstr
52 minutes ago, GagainsiderNYC said:

43 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

I actually just came to say this! At least in the United States, you may even have an easier time finding someone (a non-fan) who likes Million Reasons than you would finding someone who likes Applause, at least after Shallow's recent success.  MR did reenter the US top 100 on iTunes last week, which isn't anything huge but it means people do like that song.  

funkmedowntown
On 3/11/2019 at 10:42 AM, Bradley said:

Gaga actually made a conscious effort in categorising her songs into albums with distinctive themes, I mean there are artists like Zayn, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Rihanna whose songs could easily be shifted in between their discographies without being noticed.

A song like A-YO, Come to Mama and Hey Girl would clearly not fit ARTPOP or Born This Way. At least we know Gaga does radical changes in the way other artists wouldn't dare attempt.

Hey Girl would totally fit on ARTPOP, Come to Mama on Born This Way. I appreciate what your saying, I am just responding to monsters who think some songs on Joanne don’t belong there. I think those songs fit with the idea of operating in herself as a cadaver. 

Little Mons✟er

Bradley
8 minutes ago, funkmedowntown said:

Hey Girl would totally fit on ARTPOP, Come to Mama on Born This Way. I appreciate what your saying, I am just responding to monsters who think some songs on Joanne don’t belong there. I think those songs fit with the idea of operating in herself as a cadaver. 

Lyrically maybe, but musically they couldn't be any more different.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:16 PM, giskardsb said:

First, Gaga's concepts are never that tight.

Maybe that's the problem. I think she should become cohesive for once. For me, TFM is much more cohesive in sound and in theme than Joanne. I think the fact that it's a much shorter album contributes to the cohesion.

I am not trying to discredit DIC-- I think it's a cute song. OR maybe it's a song thrown in to please pop fans, who knows? :giggle: It just doesn't belong on the album, same as John Wayne (at least for my taste) :shrug: 

Though this may just be an unpopular opinion (I see a lot of DIC lovers out there lol).

giskardsb
2 hours ago, Wolf said:

Maybe that's the problem. I think she should become cohesive for once. For me, TFM is much more cohesive in sound and in theme than Joanne. I think the fact that it's a much shorter album contributes to the cohesion.

I am not trying to discredit DIC-- I think it's a cute song. OR maybe it's a song thrown in to please pop fans, who knows? :giggle: It just doesn't belong on the album, same as John Wayne (at least for my taste) :shrug: 

Though this may just be an unpopular opinion (I see a lot of DIC lovers out there lol).

Well given Jw is one of my fav songs off Joanne I’m glad it’s there.   And DIC is a fan favorite.  I think Joanne is plenty cohesive but with enough variety to make it interesting.  Critiquing Joanne for lack of cohesiveness just rings hollow for me. 

GABEL

Why her own fans act like Joanne is a bad album when it actually helped her career?:toofunny:

It's not a pop masterpiece but it's coherent and interesting, there are stories related to her personal life behind all the songs and the melodies are good.

She probably could produce a better album if she was bolder but don't forget she's a mainstream pop singer whose last album was a big flop, Joanne is a very smart move for her career and clearly regained her popularity, it's   the best result we can get:vegas:

MonsterOfSpain
25 minutes ago, GABEL said:

Why her own fans act like Joanne is a bad album when it actually helped her career?:toofunny:

It's not a pop masterpiece but it's coherent and interesting, there are stories related to her personal life behind all the songs and the melodies are good.

She probably could produce a better album if she was bolder but don't forget she's a mainstream pop singer whose last album was a big flop, Joanne is a very smart move for her career and clearly regained her popularity, it's   the best result we can get:vegas:

So ARTPOP was a "big flop" and Joanne was a "very smart move" which clearly regained her popularity when it was much less successful literally everywhere in the world... I ... have to laugh

Archived