don't forget that brilliantly forgettable video game song :poot:

tenor.gif?itemid=3564197

I forgot about it :poot: 

Ew, David!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
slojinPA

Flop or not, it doesn't matter to me. I adore ARTPOP, the electronic production is so sharp and exact. It exists, and I'm grateful because it has some of my favorite of Gaga's songs on it. Same with Witness actually.

MrDarkGa

Except it totally tarnished her image, her personality at the time was insufferable as she was trying way too hard, and it literally almost killed her music career. It represents the lowest point in her career since 2008. I always see it as her sell-out album as she rushed it to stay relevant, but completely missed the sound by a year or so. Had it not been for C2C (which everyone here seems to hate bc ARTPOP seems to be the "trendy" album to love bc its so problematic) and Tony Bennett, she would have quit and wouldnt be sitting where she is today. It maybe wasnt a flop in terms of sales, but even Gaga herself was over it as it was being released because so much was wrong with it before and during. It was and still is a very dated sound because it was rushed and has the most disjointed and unnecessary collabs ive seen her do. I guarantee that if it wasnt Gaga's album, it would be forgotten or ignored.

Millions upon millions of musicians around the world dream of having even 1% of the sales ARTPOP had

PhyllisDietrichson

I use someone’s ARTPOP era to describe a “weirder” album in their discography, ARTPOP is NOT a flop tho, i love it

Catnikko

Are these exact same threads still gonna be made in like 2034? :air: It wasn't a flop but i think (imo) slightly underwhelming, especially because we heard pretty much all of it before it even came out

Actual patient

lgaga1fan

Yall still trying it with these threads :triggered:

It was a flop for Lady Gagas old standards

It wouldnt be a flop if it was anybody else BUT Gaga was riding off the coattail of Born This Way

JustAnother
21 hours ago, imnotyourbabe10 said:

It was her most radical, sticking it to the man, era imho.  (Though all of the eras are inventive in their own right).

The SXSW performance is what really sold me on her describing the era on twitter as, "when pop sucks the tits of art" and the whole "**** you pop music, this is ARTPOP!"  :diane:

And now she talks about how much of a mess it was and how she wasn’t in her right mind set :laughga:

• 8 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, Suspiria said:

Actually, if you go on Metacritic there are no negative reviews. And all of the lower ratings are from "less respectable" sources.

ARTPOP wasn't a critical smash but people generally liked the album.

Like 1% of the professional critiques appear on Metacritic though

It's  funny that Gaga haters cling to ARTPOP "flopping" like they don't know what was going on behind the scenes being used and then dumped by her management. Even with all that the album and first single did well but once her management went down so did the era. The fact that haters still bring it up tells us they can't come up with something else. :enigma:

not Chromatica
On 3/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, ARTGOD said:

The problem with ARTPOP was how it tarnished her image. It made people tired of the Gaga brand.

Wasn't that the point tho? Wasn't she tired of having to maintain it in the first place?

Archived