opinion

ARTPOP is NOT a FLOP

gumzy3000

Featured Posts

Ronk
1 hour ago, SOON said:

My fave album from her :vegas:

And this is what's important, really. 

Too often we measure success in sales and charts.  But when something brings happiness to others, that's a goal worthy of Gaga's philosophy in life.

I live outside the space time continuum.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Ronk said:

And this is what's important, really. 

Too often we measure success in sales and charts.  But when something brings happiness to others, that's a goal worthy of Gaga's philosophy in life.

So true :applause:

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua

Ally Campana

Just wanted to drop this. Interesting read.

Does it matter? Damage is done

Matangi
9 hours ago, Suspiria said:

Actually, if you go on Metacritic there are no negative reviews. And all of the lower ratings are from "less respectable" sources.

ARTPOP wasn't a critical smash but people generally liked the album.

Liza Minelli 

Matangi

honestly I hate ARTPOP, I still find it as corny today as it was when she first released it. The lyrics weren't particularly strong, she had this aesthetic that was supposed to be deeply conceptual, but none of the content actually dug into the meaning of art or of pop culture as much as the "reverse-Warholian expedition" claimed to. I think it aged badly and was Gaga's biggest creative rut. That being said who gives a **** if it's called a flop or not. Like what you like.

Gracious Gaga

aura

venus

guy

sex dreams

dwuw

swine

donatella

fashion

Mary Jane holland

are good songs.  swine has aged a bit tho however and Venus can get a little campy.  but overall, the album was good 

♥ Kindness Police.

gumzy3000
8 hours ago, AJRocketMan said:

I agree with everything! Yes! ARTPOP truly was an incredible artistic achievement. Her Robert Wilson collaborations were her best visual work in my opinion. She truly believed in the album and she put so much effort into making the album come alive, both onstage and off-stage. There’s no way she would have done everything she did if she didn’t believe in the album or didn’t like it, especially because she gets bored easily. And her outfits were so creative, like the bubble machine dress!

However, I must say this: EDM isn’t a genre. It’s an abbreviation for Electronic Dance Music, which as you all know is a musical style. When people say EDM was popular back then, what they really mean was that Big Room House and Progressive House were super popular back then. Anybody remember Clarity, Wake Me Up!, Sweet Nothing, I Need Your Love, the Summertime Sadness remix, and Don’t You Worry Child? All of those are either Big Room or Progressive House. Notice how they all lack a snare and are just kick drums. Gaga never did that music with the exception of Gypsy. For most of ARTPOP Gaga was doing Complextro (a subset of Electro-House), Industrial, and Synthwave. No one in Top 40 Pop was doing that music and very few people outside of that were doing it either. Whatever is hot at the moment, Gaga always creates her own interpretation of it, and it was always more aggressive and subversive than her peers.

Thank you for explaining that bit about the genres in ARTPOP! Really cool to know and learn about it. I’ll probably Google some compelxtro, synthwave and industrial tunes now :music:

trolly troll troll

AJRocketMan
22 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

Thank you for explaining that bit about the genres in ARTPOP! Really cool to know and learn about it. I’ll probably Google some compelxtro, synthwave and industrial tunes now :music:

There’s lots! I’ll give you a list!

Complextro

Spoiler

Madeon - The City, Icarus, Finale, Cut the Kid, Technicolor, Shuriken

Zedd - Slam the Door, Shotgun, Stache, Addicted to a Memory, Push Play, Autonomy, Stars Come Out, Shave It, Spectrum, Codec, The Anthem, Dovregubben, The Legend of Zelda, Breakn’ a Sweat (Zedd remix of a Skrillex song), Stay the Night (Zedd and Kevin Drew Remix), Born This Way (Zedd Remix), Marry the Night (Zedd Remix)

Wolfgang Gartner - Illmerica, Shrunken Heads, Ménage a Trois, Ching Ching

Porter Robinson - Hello, The Wildcat, Unison

Seven Lions - Tyven (this song is super amazing!!!), Polarized

The M Machine - Data Palace, Superflat, Moon Song

Synthwave

Spoiler

The M Machine - Faces, Tiny Anthem, Glow

CHVRCHES - Do I Wanna Know?

Tove Lo - True Disaster

Pretty much any Dance with the Dead song

Industrial (not as familiar with this genre)

Spoiler

Boys Noize - XTC, Mayday, Midnight

The M Machine - Black

Guest Blue Madonna
13 hours ago, TheSlash said:

Katy on the other hand did not much since the release of Witness ( that I know of :poot: ) and her non-album releases (365, this Christmas thing) were not really the definition of success :awkney: . So now it depends on how she will continue :lana: .

don't forget that brilliantly forgettable video game song :poot:

Pink Tape

flop or not it was an epic era for me. watching applause mv for the first time??? listening to aura and sex dreams demos??? guy video?? 2013 was A MOMENT. :vegas:

shoful
1 hour ago, Blue Madonna said:

don't forget that brilliantly forgettable video game song :poot:

Video game somg?

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Archived