Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP is NOT a FLOP

gumzy3000

Featured Posts

MaryJaneHolland
50 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

I think ARTPOP sold more than Joanne and Applause did better than the Joanne's single WW. Do you consider Joanne as a flop ? No.

So ARTPOP is not a flop

Or

Spoiler

both are flops

295a46954623619b25fdcc249601a47e--makeup

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Z

Well,

Witness: 4th album

ARTPOP: 4th album

ARTPOP #1

Witness #1

Applause #4

Chained To The Rythm #4

ARTPOP: critically panned

Witness: critically panned

It's not THAT different actually

The Z
52 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

I think ARTPOP sold more than Joanne and Applause did better than the Joanne's single WW. Do you consider Joanne as a flop ? No.

So ARTPOP is not a flop

Joanne was released in 2016, so technically it sold better than ARTPOP. Plus it's not just about the numbers, it's about people's reception. Most of the people & critics hated ARTPOP

monketsharona
Just now, kevinsteve said:

Joanne was released in 2016, so technically it sold better than ARTPOP. Plus it's not just about the numbers, it's about people's reception. Most of the people & critics hated ARTPOP

ASIB has been released in 2018 and sold huge. Sales can be huge still today imo. (Don't tell me it's a OST, because that would be underestimating Gaga's power, especially after all the success she had the last few months associated to her name) 

I just think both Joanne and ARTPOP underperformed (in Gaga's standards). Don't get me wrong but Joanne tanked in some countries. In my country I'm not even sure people know it exists...

Joanne is much much more a US success (and some other regions) than a WW hit. If people recognise this for ARTPOP they need to do the same for Joanne.

Jae Eris

ARTPOP stood in the shadows of its predecessor TFM/BTW.

It just paled it in comparison to her more commercially succesful eras. Thus it's still branded as a fl*p even years after.

But who cares? Music not the bling, aye

sweet but psycho 🔪

Suspiria
13 minutes ago, kevinsteve said:

16 minutes ago, kevinsteve said:

Well,

Witness: 4th album

ARTPOP: 4th album

ARTPOP #1

Witness #1

Applause #4

Chained To The Rythm #4

ARTPOP: critically panned

Witness: critically panned

It's not THAT different actually

Actually, if you go on Metacritic there are no negative reviews. And all of the lower ratings are from "less respectable" sources.

ARTPOP wasn't a critical smash but people generally liked the album.

AnglerfishbraBENUS

The reality is that ARTPOP could have had better production and mixing etc.  Obviously the decline in the time was a little bit out of her control.

ARTPOP was a great album, but unfortunately a flop, but not in the ways that other albums like Witness / Bionic were

In all honesty Gaga bounced back relatively fast thanks to Tony for explaining to her that this was just a bump in the road.  ARTPOP brought great great things in the end.

I don't see the 'flopping' of Witness bringing great great things, but it depends on future projects that aren't just stand alone trendy singles.

ARTPOP remains my favorite Gaga album 6 years later. I feel like a lot of the reason why people don't like the album is not so much with the album and its performance, but everything that was going on outside the album at the time. If you separate the two, ARTPOP did as well as any album released by an artist going on 5 years of near-constant media attention would have done.

Diamond heart99
48 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

Joanne was a bigger flop, both commercially and artistically, and THAT is the real tea:madge:

Eye roll. 

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

Davian

It’s iconic, was iconic back then and will always be iconic in my books, no matter what anyone says:firega:

Also, it got two top 10 hits btw:ally: Dope:worship2:

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

Doncho

Yeah the problem was that the expectation was WAY TOO HIGH thanks to Born this Way. ARTPOP was not a flop by any means. It was an underperformance compared to Gaga s insane and massive success with The Fame/BTW

AJRocketMan

I agree with everything! Yes! ARTPOP truly was an incredible artistic achievement. Her Robert Wilson collaborations were her best visual work in my opinion. She truly believed in the album and she put so much effort into making the album come alive, both onstage and off-stage. There’s no way she would have done everything she did if she didn’t believe in the album or didn’t like it, especially because she gets bored easily. And her outfits were so creative, like the bubble machine dress!

However, I must say this: EDM isn’t a genre. It’s an abbreviation for Electronic Dance Music, which as you all know is a musical style. When people say EDM was popular back then, what they really mean was that Big Room House and Progressive House were super popular back then. Anybody remember Clarity, Wake Me Up!, Sweet Nothing, I Need Your Love, the Summertime Sadness remix, and Don’t You Worry Child? All of those are either Big Room or Progressive House. Notice how they all lack a snare and are just kick drums. Gaga never did that music with the exception of Gypsy. For most of ARTPOP Gaga was doing Complextro (a subset of Electro-House), Industrial, and Synthwave. No one in Top 40 Pop was doing that music and very few people outside of that were doing it either. Whatever is hot at the moment, Gaga always creates her own interpretation of it, and it was always more aggressive and subversive than her peers.

Ronk
2 hours ago, That J said:

90% of artists these days would beg for a flop like that. 

Exactly. 

I live outside the space time continuum.

2School4Cool

I think when people compare Witness to ARTPOP it’s more a comparison of the general public’s perception of it being a flop, not saying that it actually was a flop. This being said, I couldn’t agree more that ARTPOP was NOT a flop. I got so fed up with hearing the term ARTFLOP going around in 2013. The album sold much less than Born This Way, but still sold more than most other successful female albums of the time. In my opinion, an album is never a “flop” if it connects with people. For Little Monsters, ARTPOP produced some of Gaga’s best deep cuts and is full of hidden gems. It inspired people to express their artistic side. It will forever be one of my favorite albums. When I’m tired of “cookie cutter pop songs,” I can turn on ARTPOP as a breath of fresh air. It is so unique, different, and weird in the best way possible. 

See The Best In Everyone

Archived