💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Shallow Radio Boycott... Canada Was The Absolute Worst

Economy

Featured Posts

Economy

Someone made a thread complaining about US radio paying shallow dust while in every other Nation it gets plays so I want my turn to complain as well cuz here in Canada it was even worse and it cost us a single that could have been #1 :koons:

Shallow had monstrous sales here. Consistently selling at double the rate on iTunes as song at #2 and currently is still selling over twice as much as song #2 Source: https://kworb.net/popca/

Streams wise it always ranked higher than in the US

Shallow peaked at #3 here and has remained on top 10 on sales and streams alone...

Radio support here was even more tragic than in the US despite even better public perception and I wanna murder my radio stations :saladga:

Rant over :madge:

RAMROD

What does the radio plays there? BS like Thank, u Next like here? 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Economy
1 minute ago, RAMROD said:

What does the radio plays there? BS like Thank, u Next like here? 

We're even more Pop mainstream Obssessed than the US especially on radio

Sometimes a rap, R&B and hip-hop song can be a big hit if it comes from a big name like Drake, CardiB etc

Otherwise it's all pop. 

Katy Perry, Lady Gaga (when she was more Pop), Taylor Swift (after she became pop), Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber...

They have a blast on radio here

Well that's too bad, that song was one of the very few good songs from 2018. Oh well, on the bright side you don't have to live with that annoying repetitive rap junk as much as us Americans deal with :laughga:

Economy
9 minutes ago, DCgaga said:

Well that's too bad, that song was one of the very few good songs from 2018. Oh well, on the bright side you don't have to live with that annoying repetitive rap junk as much as us Americans deal with :laughga:

Unless it's CardiB or Drake... Those non-pop stars are huge here too. Drake in particular is massive no doubt partially cuz he's from here

But yeah it's extremely pop dominated here

That may be why everyone of Gaga's singles charted better here than in the US exept her non-pop singles...

Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons and You and I are the only 3 singles that charted lower than in the US and all 3 are less pop than usual Gaga

But it was a similar situation to shallow. Sales did even better here but radio payed them even more dust here than in the US (especially Million Reasons, #1 on iTunes for ages and hardly any radio airplay)

Shallow only charted higher than in the US cuz the sales were so strong (it's still selling at twice the rate as song #2 on iTunes) and streams solid enough to offset almost no radio points

Edit: Post Malone is another non pop artist that gets fairly high radio play here too (not as high as Cardi or Drake tho)

Let’s be real, Canadian radio supports Canadian musicians more often than not. Mariana’s Trench, Alesia Cara, Shawn Mendes, etc. Shallow has been No. 1 almost solid (on iTunes) since the end of September. That’s incredible. I regularly check the radio (play history/in SK) and it gets played every single day. Usually in the morning.

3 minutes ago, Economy said:

But it was a similar situation to shallow. Sales did even better here but radio payed them even more dust here than in the US (especially Million Reasons, #1 on iTunes for ages and hardly any radio airplay)

I know why that is, a lot of it had to do with the lyric "Lord show me the way," for some reason radios what to outlaw the existence of god :laughga:

But yeah, I'd rather have Canadian radio vs this crappy (or should I say "Trappy" :lolga:) radio broadcasts. 

Economy
1 minute ago, MsSwan said:

Let’s be real, Canadian radio supports Canadian musicians more often than not. Mariana’s Trench, Alesia Cara, Shawn Mendes, etc. Shallow has been No. 1 almost completely since the end of September. That’s incredible. I regularly check the radio (play history/in SK) and it gets played every single day. Usually in the morning.

What Station is SK?

And yes local Canadians get a good amount of airplay but big north American artists in general do too especially if they are pop that includes Gaga historically

Shallow got completely snubbed if u look at radio charts. There may be a few stations who innevitably played it a fair bit but in general support here was extremely bad.

I followed the radio charts and it consistently underperformed even US radio rankings

it went #1 for a few weeks on AC radios and top 10 if i recall on HAC radios. Could have been worse but it’s nothing compared to the success it’s showing on streaming/iTunes. Pop really paid it dust

SCHEISSEMONTRE

I heard it many times as well

1 minute ago, Nikolai Barrow said:

That's so weird. I live in Canada and i have heard it many times on the radio. :shrug:

Mychal

and i oop

I live in the US and its on the radio a lot. Around the time the movie was released, it was on almost everytime I turned on the radio

Archived