Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

What Went Wrong with the Award's Campaign for "A Star Is Born"

WildAmerican

Featured Posts

Diamond heart99
17 minutes ago, shane_c said:

ASIB doesn't have a liberal political issue its pushing which is something all the rest of the nominated movies have. That's a big reason why I dont think its doing well with awards and was never going to be able to win the Oscar. That's just the way it is these days, the Oscars have become politicised.

This. 

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lottie Winters

The film was nominated for oscars. OSCARS. It’s crazy how much they trash it like it isn’t a heavily-nominated film. It’s not some dumpster fire like most movies. What the heck? 

Lord Temptation

Do journalists just laze about and talk trash in the weeks before the Oscars? :laughga:

Like I don’t even know what I read :derpga:

SpadesToStart

A wise woman once said, “Music not the bling” :derpga:

I am so proud of this movie for what it is, not how its awards campaign went ❤️

YourCureness
6 hours ago, Judas Society said:

Throughout Gaga's career, stans have made it difficult for non-stans to appreciate Gaga. But I don't know why it seems like only Gaga is affected. The Hives are equally if not more annoying but Bey is revered like she's perfect by the media. 

Because Bey is not as polarizing as Gaga. Gaga is still that poster child for weird queer people

I really enjoyed the movie, but honestly it's not as great as the ridiculous levels of hype around it to begin with suggested. I think the movie caught a lot of people off-guard, because so many, including us stans, were expecting something unwatchable, so when it turned out to be good, hype was built around the film that didn't match its quality.

The movie is very much carried by Gaga's and Bradley's acting, and the songs. The script is honestly not great. The story is muddled, and hops around between different themes and ideas, without ever settling on a central strand, and the character of Ally is a paper-thin cipher.

ASIB has rejuvenated Gaga's career, given her an enormous hit song and album, earned her the respect of the industry and GP alike in a way that she has never had before. It has been a massively successful venture for her. It's not winning awards because there have been other, better films released this year.

LilyLark
7 hours ago, Gracious Gaga said:

What went wrong was that it wasn’t the best movie of the season 

As much as I love the film, I don't disagree.  IMO Can You Ever Forgive Me?, which has an insanely high metacritic score and is around 98 or 99% of RT, should have been nominated and won Best Film in addition to getting a best director nod instead of just getting a screenplay and acting nods.

But I think there was some surprise because ASIB had all the hype, and then arguably the weakest films of the nominees in terms of reviews (Vice, BoRhap, and Green Book) have won 98% of the awards with Roma getting a few Best Director/ Best Pic wins wins outside of the critics circles. And I think the more surprising thing is Bradley losing because he's arguably the strongest candidate in a fairly weak Best Actor field along with Christian Bale, but ASIB had stronger reviews than Vice so that might have "tipped" him over into winning.  Viggo's performance was seen as too broad, Rami did a great job but a fair amount of critics gave more acclaim to Bale, Dafoe, and Cooper (and Rami was in the film with the lowest reviews to have been nominated in years), and no one saw Eternity's Gate with Dafoe.

But yes, I don't think the "what happened to ASIB and the Oscars" would be a -thing- if The Favourite or Roma was sweeping all the awards along with Christian Bale over ASIB.... instead of Green Book/BoRhap and Rami. Tho this is hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened, either at the Oscars.  At the end of the day though, the film was a critical and commercial smash hit and was nominated for a ton of awards and did way better than pretty much everyone, including the stans, imagined.

LilyLark
7 hours ago, SimplyTheBest said:

If it was released that late, it maybe would have made less money than it did. Because it would be closer to BR which would have totally overshadowed it. The competition was tough around that time with all those family movies. And tbh it'd rahter it be a commercial success than an awards darling. Your movies making money, that's what will get you more offers!

Good point

3 hours ago, LilyLark said:

As much as I love the film, I don't disagree.  IMO Can You Ever Forgive Me?, which has an insanely high metacritic score and is around 98 or 99% of RT, should have been nominated and won Best Film in addition to getting a best director nod instead of just getting a screenplay and acting nods.

But I think there was some surprise because ASIB had all the hype, and then arguably the weakest films of the nominees in terms of reviews (Vice, BoRhap, and Green Book) have won 98% of the awards with Roma getting a few Best Director/ Best Pic wins wins outside of the critics circles. And I think the more surprising thing is Bradley losing because he's arguably the strongest candidate in a fairly weak Best Actor field along with Christian Bale, but ASIB had stronger reviews than Vice so that might have "tipped" him over into winning.  Viggo's performance was seen as too broad, Rami did a great job but a fair amount of critics gave more acclaim to Bale, Dafoe, and Cooper (and Rami was in the film with the lowest reviews to have been nominated in years), and no one saw Eternity's Gate with Dafoe.

But yes, I don't think the "what happened to ASIB and the Oscars" would be a -thing- if The Favourite or Roma was sweeping all the awards along with Christian Bale over ASIB.... instead of Green Book/BoRhap and Rami. Tho this is hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened, either at the Oscars.  At the end of the day though, the film was a critical and commercial smash hit and was nominated for a ton of awards and did way better than pretty much everyone, including the stans, imagined.

Of note, I LOVED Dafoe in At Eternity’s Gate and think he easily did the best work this year from the men with Bradley coming up afterwards. The rest were good but not outstanding.

Deserved much more recognition, we all thought this movie will finally get the deserved recognition from the critics after the 2 previous attempts, and it's true, the audience actually loved it and it's very successful. It's still unbelievable to me how it feels the academy mocked Bradley and payed dust to this project.

Oscar-nominated actress Lady Gaga isn't pressed to win Best Actress on her first try. It doesn't matter. She should win the oscar for original song. If she doesn't, THEN I'll be pissed. But I wasn't expecting the movie or anyone from it to win anything really. 

Gaga was never going to win Best Actress. Let's be real, why would anyone vote for her twice? That's unheard of. Even if she gave the best performance of all time, it would still be tough battle against a legend like Glen Close.

I do think Gaga's acceptance speeches may have played a role in the overall sentiment in terms of other awards though. But at the same time, Gaga's played a major role in getting the film lots of attention and acclaim in the first place. So they kind of cancel each other out.

At the end of the day, Gaga got an oscar nod for acting and may very win one for the song. She won either way.

Archived