đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Worst Grammy winners/snubs?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Seeing as the Grammys were very recent, I thought now would be the time to talk about some of the biggest snubs for us, not just for our faves, but in general. I also revert back to the old but still totally relevant article from Cracked that's a 11 years old now that talked about the 7 worst snubs of all time, so I've included those ones here even though most happened before I was born or wasn't observing music awards. But there's some totally recent ones too. Then there's the inclusion of ones that didn't even get a nomination. Here's, in my opinion, some of the worst:

Worst winners

1967 Best Contemporary (Rock n Roll) Recording: The New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral (despite The Beatles, The Monkees, The Beach Boys, etc. being nominated)

1979 Best New Artist: A Taste Of Honey (despite Elvis Costello being nominated)

1981 Album Of The Year: Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross (despite Frank Sinatra, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd and Barbra Streisand being nominated)

1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance: Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave (despite Metallica being nominated, arguably being the reason this award was born)

1992 Best Rock Song: Eric Clapton - Layla (unplugged (despite Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit being nominated and Layla being an old song that was now slower)

2000 - Album of the Year: Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (despite Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP and Radiohead's Kid A being nominated)

2003 - Best Pop Vocal Album: Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (despite Avril Lavigne's Let Go and Pink's Misundazztood being nominated)

2003 - Album of the Year: Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (despite Eminem's The Eminem Show being nominated)

2004 - Best Pop Vocal Album: Justin Timberlake - Justified (despite Christina Aguilera's Stripped being nominated)

2010 - Album of the Year: Taylor Swift - Fearless (despite Gaga's The Fame, Beyonce's I Am...Sasha Fierce being nominated)

2011 - Album of the Year: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (despite Gaga's The Fame Monster, Eminem's Recovery and Katy Perry's Teenage Dream being nominated)

2012 - Album of the Year: Adele - 21 (despite Gaga's Born This Way being nominated)

2013 - Best Pop Vocal Album: Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (despite Florence + The Machine's Ceremonials being nominated)

2014 - Best Pop Vocal Album: Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox (despite Lana Del Rey's Paradise being nominated)

2017 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele - Hello (despite Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman being nominated)

2018 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (despite Gaga's Million Reasons and Kesha's Praying being nominated)

2018 - Best Pop Vocal Album - Ed Sheeran - Divide (despite Gaga's Joanne, Lana Del Rey's Lust For Life and Kesha's Rainbow being nominated)

2018 - Album of the Year - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic (despite Lorde's Melodrama being nominated)

2019 - Album of the Year - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (despite Cardi B's Invasion Of Privacy being nominated)

Worst nomination snubs (didn't even get a nomination)

1990 - no nominations for Madonna's Like A Prayer (the song)

1999 - no nominations for Madonna's Frozen (the song)

2013 - no nominations for Lana Del Rey's Born To Die era

2013 - no nominations for Carly Rae Jepsen's Kiss era

2014 - no nominations for Gaga's ARTPOP era

2015 - no nominations for Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence era

2015 - no nominations for Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion era

2016 - no nominations for Melanie Martinez's Cry Baby era

2016 - no nominations for Lana Del Rey's Honeymoon era

Worst outright snubs (never even been nominated)

The Pretty Reckless

Melanie Martinez

Natalia Kills

Marina and The Diamonds

Any artist/band who's never been nominated being they aren't American and therefore are deemed unimportant and overlooked.

So, what are some of your worst snubs? Or have I already listed them all? (I know I basically listed so many ones GGD loves!) I know not everyone might agree, but that's why you can make your own list.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arcanum

Mariah's 1996  Grammys snub was the most iconic IMHO.

6 noms to a critically acclaimed and commercially successful album (Daydream) and some massive no.1s (Fantasy, Always be my baby & One sweet day) and she returned home empty handed.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

KatieJudasGaga4

2019 - Album of the Year - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (despite Cardi B's Invasion Of Privacy being nominated) :what:

Antichrist

im surprised the pretty reckless was never nominated, all of their albums are pretty much... solid ****ing rock material. especially their debut :nooo:

15 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Well, I think we all know why Like a Prayer didn't get squat! ;) Dancing in front of burning Crucifixes on the 6 O'clock news is not exactly a good way to promote anything, even if we're talking about a Music Video here.

There was obviously no Internet back in those days and people were literally glued to their squared TV sets! Just saying....she got a lot of Heat for that stunt!

rumours
16 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

1992 Best Rock Song: Eric Clapton - Layla (unplugged (despite Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit being nominated and Layla being an old song that was now slower)

2012 - Album of the Year: Adele - 21 (despite Gaga's Born This Way being nominated)

2017 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele - Hello (despite Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman being nominated)

2019 - Album of the Year - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (despite Cardi B's Invasion Of Privacy being nominated)

2003 - Best Pop Vocal Album: Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (despite Avril Lavigne's Let Go and Pink's Misundazztood being nominated)

^^^ I disagree that these are the "worst winners".

11 minutes ago, Arcanum said:

Mariah' 1996  Grammys snub was the most iconic IMHO.

I don't think she should have won a lot of those categories though. In my opinion, Alanis and Joni both deserved to beat Daydream in the Album of the Year and Best Pop Vocal album categories. The real travesty regarding Mariah (imo) is that her Butterfly album wasn't nominated for any Grammy whatsoever.

Monsieur D
7 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

The real travesty regarding Mariah (imo) is that her Butterfly album wasn't nominated for any Grammy whatsoever.

Noliesdetected.gif

Butterfly was critically acclaimed and it was commercially successful, it deserve to win at least "Best R&B Album". 

FfFfFfFF

I agree with you on pretty much everything except your opinion on the 2019 Ceremony. I believe Kacey deserved her win.

Monsieur D
Just now, FfFfFfFF said:

I agree with you on pretty much everything except your opinion on the 2019 Ceremony. I believe Kacey deserved her win.

I agree. Golden Hour is amazingly beautiful and well produced. Solid lyrics and good vocals. 

Ryusei
19 minutes ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

2019 - Album of the Year - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (despite Cardi B's Invasion Of Privacy being nominated) :what:

Agreed. Golden Hour >>> Songs about flexing (not that I dont listen to Cardi occasionally or anything but... yeah...) 

Musery

Chickens in Malibu

"2012 - Album of the Year: Adele - 21 (despite Gaga's Born This Way being nominated)"

What are you smoking? 21 is far superior to BTW, even though I love BTW!

"2017 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele - Hello (despite Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman being nominated)"

Just ew...

Davian
54 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

2004 - Best Pop Vocal Album: Justin Timberlake - Justified (despite Christina Aguilera's Stripped being nominated)

2010 - Album of the Year: Taylor Swift - Fearless (despite Gaga's The Fame, Beyonce's I Am...Sasha Fierce being nominated)

2011 - Album of the Year: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (despite Gaga's The Fame Monster, Eminem's Recovery and Katy Perry's Teenage Dream being nominated)

2018 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (despite Gaga's Million Reasons and Kesha's Praying being nominated)

2018 - Best Pop Vocal Album - Ed Sheeran - Divide (despite Gaga's Joanne, Lana Del Rey's Lust For Life and Kesha's Rainbow being nominated)

2018 - Album of the Year - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic (despite Lorde's Melodrama being nominated)

1999 - no nominations for Madonna's Frozen (the song)

2014 - no nominations for Gaga's ARTPOP era

2015 - no nominations for Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion era

2016 - no nominations for Melanie Martinez's Cry Baby era

Worst outright snubs (never even been nominated)

Marina and The Diamonds

All of these:madge:

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

Anderson123

Melodrama - Album of the Year

Also not including Melodrama in Pop Vocal Album which could’ve made it win easily but they went for Ed Sheeran’s Divide. 

androiduser

Madonna not even being nominated for her biggest pop masterpieces is one of the biggest snubs ever.... she was nominated for mostly some minor awards until Ray of Light.

freakumdress
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

imagine to prefer Invasion Of Privacy over THE ACTUAL album of the year Golden Hour

Archived