đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

ASIB original ending and Shallow meaning

Florian

Featured Posts

Florian

Lynette Howell Taylor who is one of ASIB producer gave a very interesting interview to The Hollywood Reporter where she revealed some details on the original script and music.

This part especially :

Bradley has said that he changed the ending of the film halfway through the shoot. What was the ending and why was it changed?

Oh, I don't think I can say what the original ending was. (Laughs.) Look, the movie was always going to end with a suicide. It was more about the way that he would go about it. Obviously, in the previous versions, Kris Kristofferson gets into a car crash, although it's ambiguous whether that was a suicide or not. In the Judy version, he walks into the ocean. All of those had been contemplated. But this felt like the truest version to Bradley, and he discovered it partway through filming. He felt like this was the most honest way to represent in today's world what struggling addicts often end up doing. It felt very relevant to him.

"Shallow" went through different incarnations of where it would be featured in the film — during the end credits song or a scene where a character was drowning. How did those changes come about?

Yes, that's one of the versions in an early draft of the screenplay, that Jackson would drown, much like in the Judy version. That was the ending that was in the script around the time that Lady Gaga and Mark Ronson were writing "Shallow." It was written a little bit with that in mind. But then they reworked it. What's so wonderful about the process of making this movie was its collaborative nature. You have Bradley as a screenwriter working closely with Lady Gaga and Mark Ronson and all the other musicians. They would send the song with certain lyrics. Then, that would inspire Bradley to change the script in a certain way to motivate the story. At one point there was a more "pop" version of "Shallow." Once Bradley worked out that scene in the parking lot, it became clear that that was what the journey for this song was going to be, "How does somebody create a song? How does somebody come up with an idea for lyrics? How does somebody come up with a melody? How do artists work together?"

And boom! Suddenly Shallow lyrics take a complete new sense : 

I'm off the deep end, watch as I dive in
I'll never meet the ground
Crash through the surface, where they can't hurt us
We're far from the shallow now

giphy.gif

And as an echo to @hellothing's thread. I think this interview that Shallow was THE song or that movie. They literally used that song as a character and built a story around it throughout the whole movie

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a-star-is-born-producer-films-original-ending-evolution-shallow-1185438

DiegoMonster

I love how even though it’s a remake that has been done several times, it still remains as Cooper’s vision and the way he wanted people to see it :) 

nerdfacekillah

im surprised by the fact that they were sure that shallow was THAT song and it would become such a hige hit and it actually did

If you don’t have any shadows, you’re not standing in the light.

That J

I feel while the first idea perhaps could have had a more dramatic visual, it's almost too much because there could be the option of changing the mind. The final result is SO FINAL which gives it a more dramatic touch without becoming as ....melodramatic. Plus I found the fact you didnt see everything to be powerful where the water idea would have maybe pushed it.  It's a fine line. 

The song works better to me without that literal feeling it would have held. The way it ended up was much better.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Florian
9 minutes ago, DiegoMonster said:

I love how even though it’s a remake that has been done several times, it still remains as Cooper’s vision and the way he wanted people to see it :) 

I completely agree :O

He managed to do something completely fresh and not recooked. From plot to cinematography :golfclap:

RichAssPiss

I was sure going in as a fan of all the films he would drown at the end, giving "Shallow'" a dark and tragic turn.

rumours
13 minutes ago, That J said:

Plus I found the fact you didnt see everything to be powerful where the water idea would have maybe pushed it.  It's a fine line. 

I agree. If the lyrics of Shallow ("I'm off the deep end/ watch as I dive in") would have been playing as Bradley drowned, it would have verged on being comedic.... which the movie did not need.

I'm glad it was changed.

2 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

I agree. If the lyrics of Shallow ("I'm off the deep end/ watch as I dive in") would have been playing as Bradley drowned, it would have verged on being comedic.... which the movie did not need.

I'm glad it was changed.

Placed where it was made the songs vwry strongly thematic. Like, that first performance was the point where he started fading and she started becoming a star. It’s the perfect spot for it as the metaphor holds dual meaning for them both.

1 hour ago, Florian said:

At one point there was a more "pop" version of "Shallow."

I see it, I like it, I want it, I didn't get it 

tumblr_plf1h2rTWP1u4kolmo3_500.gif

❗️ IG: thebumblebee__ ❗️

bluemonkey
On 2/15/2019 at 3:13 PM, nerdfacekillah said:

im surprised by the fact that they were sure that shallow was THAT song and it would become such a hige hit and it actually did

Because...anigif_sub-buzz-18581-1540572231-4.gif?d

Quartz

That's super interesting. Thanks for mentioning my impact boo :vegas:

Inside, we are really made the same. đź•Š

GypsyBabe
On 2/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, Rifek said:

I see it, I like it, I want it, I didn't get it 

tumblr_plf1h2rTWP1u4kolmo3_500.gif

No but we got this version. 

pn0VhmP2g

Blessed. 

⚯͛