Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Bradley Debunks Nine Myths About ASIB

LaLa

Featured Posts

ASIB-15202r1.jpg?resize=899,600

Interesting article from IndieWire, 'Oscar Contender Bradley Cooper Debunks Nine Myths About ‘A Star Is Born’. Obviously campaign material, but there is some new/fleshed out info included. Some highlights:

"Warner Bros. took some convincing. “When I proposed Lady Gaga to them,” said Cooper, “they were not so keen on the idea, or of us together. ‘We don’t see Lady Gaga and you as a couple.’ They didn’t want to screen-test her at the time. I knew she was the one and I could not make it without her.”

So he set up a meeting at Warners, hooked his iPhone to a Sonos speaker and played the video for them. “I thought it was a home run,” Cooper said, “but they said ‘that’s cool.’ It didn’t really move the needle. They were trepidatious about me directing.” So he wrote and directed a scene with 10 pages of dialogue as if it were a film and showed it to the Warners executives in a theater. “Technically, I had never directed anything. It was a fun process to do, to discover things.”

99 non-believers jumped out :huntyga:

"While “Bohemian Rhapsody” relies on the well-known globally popular music of Queen, “A Star Is Born” required 17 original song out of 19, carefully woven into the narrative fabric of the movie. This took years to accomplish–with two writing rooms in Nashville and Hollywood filled with top composers and songwriters. “There were so many different buckets,” said Gerber. “It was like making a second movie.”

“With music and singing live, you can’t hide the authenticity of what it means to be human,” said Cooper, “using your body as an instrument, creating sound that is pleasing while the body is in a relaxed state. I had all these ideas, themes, and compositions in my mind. If I ever made a movie about music, I wanted it to be subjective when on the stage, I’d never seen anything shot from there. We never shot anything from the audience.”

Yas, drag BR! :vegas:

Given what Cooper was trying to achieve, $38 million was not a massive budget. (The two stars worked for scale.)

Just thought this was interesting, a confirmation that Gaga wasn't paid a ton for the movie (scale is the minimum wage the actors union will allow). Hope she got points for the profits at least! 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sassy McSass

In the end it worked out great and they both got so much more than a stellar pay could provide. A bold move that really worked. :applause:

I’ll keep looking for Wonderland

JLoveLamar
35 minutes ago, S0436 said:

As they worked for scale, there you have another reason why Beyoncé would never have done it 

Y'all just HAVE to try to dig at Beyonce. She did Dreamgirls damn near for free. She told them they did not have to pay her. I believe she made 700k for Cadillac Records and donated her money to the sober house she did her research at. Leave Beyonce out of this.

StrawberryBlond

It took a lot to make people believe in Gaga, didn't it? Even though she was a bonafide superstar by that time who proved she could sing, write and perform, it still wasn't enough. Yet, they initially wanted Beyonce, whose talent as a writer and musician were a lot more dubious. It's amazing what PR can convince people of.

1 hour ago, S0436 said:

As they worked for scale, there you have another reason why Beyoncé would never have done it 

I've never heard of the term "working for scale" before, but I assume it means working for very little money? Its never been proven but a big rumour is that Beyonce demanded a huge paycheck to do this and that's when the producers thought she was getting a bit big for her boots and they didn't want to pay someone who wasn't even a professional actress such big bucks. Never confirmed, but I could definitely buy it.

39 minutes ago, JLoveLamar said:

Y'all just HAVE to try to dig at Beyonce. She did Dreamgirls damn near for free. She told them they did not have to pay her. I believe she made 700k for Cadillac Records and donated her money to the sober house she did her research at. Leave Beyonce out of this.

I'd take your point if those movies only came out in the last 2 years. But they came out in 2006 and 2008, that was years ago. Beyonce had only made 2 solo albums when she did Dreamgirls and she put out her third album just a week after Cadillac Records came out. At the time, she didn't have as many hits, less sales, less touring clout, she wasn't a critic darling and she hadn't risen to respected goddess status in the eyes of the public. Her ego was much smaller. But by the time 2011 rolled around, her fame had increased, she'd had more hits and a huge tour, she'd got married to Jay, she was a much bigger star and she had a much higher opinion of herself. I could totally imagine that she would have demanded more money by that point because she'd have felt after all this time that she was worth it. Beyonce's attitude really changed around this time, this is when she started telling the world she was a queen and just 2 years later, her fame was going stratospheric. In 2015, she was still in talks to star, which is just before she released Lemonade and she was the biggest she'd ever been. This was a very different woman from a few years prior so you can't really compare them. Beyonce loves making money. I highly doubt she'd work on this project for peanuts, not when she was making hundreds of millions from touring just the year before.

roomdivide
21 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Beyonce's attitude really changed around this time, this is when she started telling the world she was a queen and just 2 years later, her fame was going stratospheric. In 2015, she was still in talks to star, which is just before she released Lemonade and she was the biggest she'd ever been. This was a very different woman from a few years prior so you can't really compare them. Beyonce loves making money. I highly doubt she'd work on this project for peanuts, not when she was making hundreds of millions from touring just the year before.

Yeah she is so cheap and the narcissistic gays just ate up all of Beyonce's bullshit. 

1 hour ago, JLoveLamar said:

Plus, she dipped in 2015 which, if we are to believe Lemonade’s timeline, her family was falling apart after getting off of a tour. Makes more sense to me that that would be good reason not to immerse yourself in a very demanding multi-year project. Plus, after the movie had been fallow for a bit she was working on an album. So it just wasn’t working in terms of scheduling and priorities seems like a more reasonable answer to me.

30 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

Worked for scale huh? Gee I wonder if they even payed her more than $1m for ASIB... 

I don't know a TON about it, but I I would think she made less than 100K working for scale on a 6-week shoot :rip: Now, she could have negotiated for a cut of the profits afterword (wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, and I'm SURE Bradley would have), and I don't know if she got anything for writing the music etc but acting-wise she probably got peanuts 

SharkmanthaC
6 hours ago, LaLa said:

"Warner Bros. took some convincing. “When I proposed Lady Gaga to them,” said Cooper, “they were not so keen on the idea, or of us together. We don’t see Lady Gaga and you as a couple.’ They didn’t want to screen-test her at the time. I knew she was the one and I could not make it without her.”

Given what Cooper was trying to achieve, $38 million was not a massive budget. (The two stars worked for scale.)

Wow how wrong you were WB. Now all anyone in the world sees is them as a couple. 

I hope she's at least made some royalties! 

she/her/hers

ProdigyARTPOP
44 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

Wow how wrong you were WB. Now all anyone in America sees is them as a couple. 

I hope she's at least made some royalties! 

She’s making a TON of money on the writers side, because this her executive record, and she’s credited practically everywhere 

Economy

How much is the "scale" payments? I'm genuinely curious

Although indirectly it got her a lot more money given the popularity boost and big sales/streaming of the movie music

Archived