press

USA Today: Gaga was off the deep end

Featured Posts

VenusHooker

16. Lady Gaga, “Shallow”

2643db7a-8053-482c-a25b-070dfe0eadb8-Lad

Lady Gaga performs "Shallow" at the Grammys. (Photo: ROBERT HANASHIRO/USA TODAY)

How she did: Off the deep end

Let’s start with the positives, which are Gaga’s knack for showmanship and her desire to transform “Shallow” for the Grammys stage and perform it not as her Ally character from “A Star Is Born,” but in a style that’s closer to her own live shows. And for Gaga fans hoping for a high-drama set, that’s exactly what she delivered. Gaga starting her performance at maximum intensity, though, meant there was nowhere for her to build, and by the time the song got to its famously wordless climax, all there was left to do for Gaga was to over-sing. Gaga didn’t need to sing “Shallow” stripped-down and Ally-style, but perhaps she could’ve found a happy medium between the “Shallow” recording and the blown-out version she performed on the Grammys stage.

Full list: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2019/02/10/grammys-2019-brutally-honest-reviews-every-performance-ranked/2833572002/

💥 GARZILAZO 👽 HOT LIKE MEXICO, REJOICE 🇲🇽
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 5

hausofcy

Tell that to the other outlets that praised the performance. It was a rock version so she didn’t oversing. But everyone can have an opinion of their own

• Like 5

VenusBlackStar

They make some good points tho (by the way I LOVE the performance but still have some opinions about it). She started off at such a high level of intensity. She maintained that level of intensity through the whole thing tho. It didn't dip

• Like 3

djBuffoon

I have to agree with this. It would’ve been  more effective if she started off more restrained, and left herself with somewhere to go.

• Like 11

martiniglistens
10 minutes ago, djBuffoon said:

I have to agree with this. It would’ve been  more effective if she started off more restrained, and left herself with somewhere to go.

A fair assessment I can agree with, and I overall liked the performance 

• Like 1

mamo

sorry but that performance was f*cking incredible. 

vocals, fashion, lighting, drama, intensity - SHE KILLED IT. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Economy

Also if her head bopping and hair wipping wasn't done in such an awkard way :sweat:

Sorry but that really bothered me big time :triggered:

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista
  • Like 1

LilyLark

Eh, Vox loved it and called her a glittery spider or something random like it and I saw several other good reviews. It was kind of polarizing, but even the "critical" responses didn't full out drag her and seemed to be more going at the style not matching the song.

Edited by LilyLark

Gonzi

if you listen to the performance without watching it literally feels like a performance scene off the movie what are they talking about lmao

• Like 1

Curunir

The only thing wrong with that performance was that god-awful camera work that missed the biggest/best shots to instead focus on the damn drummer or get awkwardly close to Gaga while ignoring everyone else on stage. The only shot that was executed well was the rotation around her during her flawless wail.