💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Too much spontaneity can ...

Guest Anisko

Featured Posts

First of all i want u to know that i really enjoyed last night performance and i'm extremely proud of being a gaga fan .. But there's something turning in my head that I wanted to really talk about with u for so long now..  Just after born this way era i noticed that gaga become much more spontaneous with her work..  I noticed this with almost every performance in the end of ARTPOP era and in the Joanne era ..also With her music..  And even with her outfit choices sometimes (golden globes outfit/critic choice outfit...)

Don't get me wrong cause i really like spontaneity especially when it comes from an artist like gaga, David Bowie, lords etc.. but i think too much spontaneity can really destroy anything good  .. Look at the grammy performance of last night gaga did great vocally but most of the people focused more on her unchoreographed/weird movements (on her spontaneity) at that's what makes some people hate the performance .. And we all knew what happened with enigma .

What u think guys ? 

derpmonster

It's part of being a Gaga fan. 

Yeah it can be dizzying but I'd rather have someone very spontaneous and unpredictable than boring and repetitive. :ohwell:

Even if a performance causes me to stop and think "wait, what" - she has actually succeeded. Sometimes you don't like a performance immediately but develop an appreciation for it later. Which is good sometimes because Gaga is an active artist - she wants to make you think. And that, she did. :)

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

JustAnother

I’m happy she decided to mix it up. Was kinda tired of the piano performances, especially since she did that last year. Also, you can’t really choreograph a song like Shallow.

6 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

Yeah it can be dizzying but I'd rather have someone very spontaneous and unpredictable than boring and repetitive. :ohwell:

Perfectly put

You're definitely right!

I feel like she relies too much on spontaneity nowadays, especially in performances. There is no really thought on fitting movements, costumes, stage lights and camera angles anymore. In my opinion, she's the best when she knows what she's doing and she knows exactly what note she needs to hit and when.

So I do miss that. But at the same time, a pop star as big as her being spontaneous does feel authentic and real which is something I really appreciate. You don't really see that in pop music that much.

I'd love a mix of both. But now, it just seems a little too messy.

22 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

The thing is that Gaga used to surprise us and be unpredictable through her well rehearsed, clean, camera appealing performances.

I admit that now in her performances, I'm usually worried she'll not hit a note or look a lil quirky on stage. And it's not that she didn't look weird on stage before but it used to add to the performance.

3 minutes ago, Ronlop said:

You're definitely right!

I feel like she relies too much on spontaneity nowadays, especially in performances. There is no really thought on fitting movements, costumes, stage lights and camera angles anymore. In my opinion, she's the best when she knows what she's doing and she knows exactly what note she needs to hit and when.

So I do miss that. But at the same time, a pop star as big as her being spontaneous does feel authentic and real which is something I really appreciate. You don't really see that in pop music that much.

I'd love a mix of both. But now, it just seems a little too messy.

That's what exactly wanted to say..  I'm here for mix of both and i really missed when she takes her performances more seriously 

24 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

Why we can't have both.. She can't be spontaneous with everything 

19 minutes ago, JustAnother said:

I’m happy she decided to mix it up. Was kinda tired of the piano performances, especially since she did that last year. Also, you can’t really choreograph a song like Shallow.

Everything can be choreographed..  And by "choreographed" I don't mean a choreography...  I'm talking about stage presence and movements ...

13 minutes ago, Anisko said:

That's what exactly wanted to say..  I'm here for mix of both and i really missed when she takes her performances more seriously 

Yup.

I honestly feel like she needs a creative team with her that will be in charge of TV performances. Gaga is talented but it shouldn't be overestimated. Last night at the Grammys, other artists, some new, completely killed it aethetically and vocal wise. It made Gaga look like a noob and not the A-list performer that she is :/

But then again, maybe that's what she wants. For things to be more spontaneous. If that was her intention, she should stick to it. But if she thinks her performance last night was on par or better than the rest, she should know that it wasn't.

I do have to say though that the performance did have some good moments like the dramatic classic Gaga ending and the energy thru out the performance. So that's something that didn't exist in other performances. And I do prefer this performance over last year's one. 

So yeah, basically we need just a mix of both.

She's just living in the moment and it's so refreshing to see, I agree it can be a little bit messy at times but I think it's her way of letting go and enjoying herself. All of the best artists do the same thing.

latina twilight

1. She rehearsed and delievered. It was both planned and spontaneous at equal parts.

2. She's being praised for the performance, only GGDers are meltdowning.

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

derpmonster
22 minutes ago, Ronlop said:

The thing is that Gaga used to surprise us and be unpredictable through her well rehearsed, clean, camera appealing performances.

I admit that now in her performances, I'm usually worried she'll not hit a note or look a lil quirky on stage. And it's not that she didn't look weird on stage before but it used to add to the performance.

I see what you're saying but I think you're misremembering the past. She used to sing wrong notes a lot more in the past than now. Some of her performances were extremely polished like the VMAs 2009.

However, she has always been an improvisation based artist and changes parts of songs. It's the jazz artist in her. In fact, one time she was compared to Madonna and she said (paraphrasing), "We're different artists. Everything in her shows is rehearsed and polished. I improvise. I don't have a fixed script. I change what I do and how I do it. I don't want the polish and rehearsed quality." This was 2012 I believe.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

giskardsb
2 hours ago, Ronlop said:

You're definitely right!

I feel like she relies too much on spontaneity nowadays, especially in performances. There is no really thought on fitting movements, costumes, stage lights and camera angles anymore. 

this is the woman who told people before the show she had to practice with the correct mic stand because otherwise it wouldn't be the same.  And insisted on the exact jacket linings needed when practicing for the Super Bowl. Do you really think that last look into the camera last night that caused the meme that she didn't know exactly where the camera was going to be?    

Just because people don't like some aspect of a performance doesn't mean that it was unplanned, spontaneous and messy.   Yes everything gets planned but she also leaves a little room to be herself.   It's always interesting how many Gaga fans are somewhat embarrassed by her and don''t really want her to be her quirky self.   

Archived