1. 1. Lady Gaga’s Magnum Opus?

Featured Posts

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PerfectExca
26 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

But that's is not what magnup opus is..

We call an album magnum opus when it's ther essential work, of their respective album, the record that summarizes their art/ language/ message in the best way, and the one that plays the certain role in their artistry. BTW is electro-pop with disco, rock and europop influences, talks about sex, religion/ spirituality, self-esteem. It's a better indicative than TFM of the artist that Gaga is, imho.

I disagree. Decades from now she will be remembered for TF(M) because that's who she is. Courageous, pioneer, "weird'' and most importantly, the singles (minus Telephone) are DEFINITELY more representative of Gaga than any BTW single other than Judas, and they were deservedly bigger. BTW is essentially a metal-tinged album centered around self-esteem improvement. While the message is obviously very important, Gaga will not be remembered because she tried to make everyone love themselves, though that is a respectable legacy. She will be remembered because she pushed the envelope and made pop  culture what it is today and will be decades from now, which is what TF(M) did.

The sun will rise each day. Will you?

Smother Em Eh

I love both so much, but I’m going to say TFM. It’s pop perfection and it’s flawless. BTW has a few tracks that drag in down in quality. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

FfFfFfFF
1 minute ago, EmperorExca said:

I disagree. Decades from now she will be remembered for TF(M) because that's who she is. Courageous, pioneer, "weird'' and most importantly, the singles (minus Telephone) are DEFINITELY more representative of Gaga than any BTW single other than Judas, and they were deservedly bigger. BTW is essentially a metal-tinged album centered around self-esteem improvement. While the message is obviously very important, Gaga will not be remembered because she tried to make everyone love themselves, though that is a respectable legacy. She will be remembered because she pushed the envelope and made pop  culture what it is today and will be decades from now, which is what TF(M) did.

I agree that TFM takes part in Gaga's artistry but it doesn't reach BTW's level in that regard imo (and remember we are talking mostly about the albums, not music videos/ performances/ eras etc).

1) BTW has the quality (plenty of good songs, good crafted, cohesive). But both TFM and BTW are great records so I don't think the demarcation should be made over this.

2) BTW expresses Gaga's vision and care towards social causes in the way TFM doesn't. It has a feeling of rebellion (which I think is synonym to Gaga and who she is an as artist) that is not as present in TFM. It's dark, unconventional, upbeat, inspiring, uplifting, extravagant.

3) While TFM is a rather pure pop album, BTW is a more extended body of work with influences from more genres (ranging from disco to rock and metal) and has a little bit of every icon Gaga was inspired from and that played an important role in pop culture (from Madonna and Whitney to Bon Jovi and Bonnie Tyler).

All these make me think BTW is a more accomplished work, more revealing of who is Gaga as an artist than TFM, therefore her magnum opus.

PerfectExca
15 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I agree that TFM takes part in Gaga's artistry but it doesn't reach BTW's level in that regard imo (and remember we are talking mostly about the albums, not music videos/ performances/ eras etc).

1) BTW has the quality (plenty of good songs, good crafted, cohesive). But both TFM and BTW are great records so I don't think the demarcation should be made over this.

2) BTW expresses Gaga's vision and care towards social causes in the way TFM doesn't. It has a feeling of rebellion (which I think is synonym to Gaga and who she is an as artist) that is not as present in TFM. It's dark, unconventional, upbeat, inspiring, uplifting, extravagant.

3) While TFM is a rather pure pop album, BTW is a more extended body of work with influences from more genres (ranging from disco to rock and metal) and has a little bit of every icon Gaga was inspired from and that played an important role in pop culture (from Madonna and Whitney to Bon Jovi and Bonnie Tyler).

All these make me think BTW is a more accomplished work, more revealing of who is Gaga as an artist than TFM, therefore her magnum opus.

I think the fact that TFM is pure pop and uninspired is what also makes it magnus opus. There was not an album that sounded like it prior to its release, years after many albums almost sound like replicas. The definition of pioneering. BR is the most Gaga thing that Gaga has ever done. This song is the ROOT of who she is as an artist. A pop star with extraordinary songwriting and quite distinct vocals from the common light lyric female. This song alone is a major reason I believe TFM is her MO. BTW definitely does have an atmosphere of rebellion though it is contradicted by it's quite unoriginal sound. I cannot emphasize enough how bold the record BR is. Idk whether you are aware or not, but if you go to BB100 archives or something and search the date BR peaked, you will see that there was not a song that sounded even remotely like it. TFM was a bold record. It is inherently a rebellion. Yes Gaga is a rebel and a pioneer, those are her largest characteristics as a recording artist, but I think TFM very original and bold sound make her more so a rebel than BTW did. BTW definitely has some of her more avant garde songs but definitely sacrificed quality in doing so, whereas I believe TFM incorporated some haunting and avant garde styles while still maintaining a standard of quality pop music (Alejandro, DITD). What makes TFM her MO is it is well, undebatably her signature record as of now and also has her signature song, perhaps moreso with the GP than stans (especially on this site) and the fact that she did this with a very, very, very different sound from the one back then as well as maintaining her dark and avant garde concepts are what make it her MO.

FfFfFfFF
3 minutes ago, EmperorExca said:

I think the fact that TFM is pure pop and uninspired is what also makes it magnus opus. There was not an album that sounded like it prior to its release, years after many albums almost sound like replicas. The definition of pioneering. BR is the most Gaga thing that Gaga has ever done. This song is the ROOT of who she is as an artist. A pop star with extraordinary songwriting and quite distinct vocals from the common light lyric female. This song alone is a major reason I believe TFM is her MO. BTW definitely does have an atmosphere of rebellion though it is contradicted by it's quite unoriginal sound. I cannot emphasize enough how bold the record BR is. Idk whether you are aware or not, but if you go to BB100 archives or something and search the date BR peaked, you will see that there was not a song that sounded even remotely like it. TFM was a bold record. It is inherently a rebellion. Yes Gaga is a rebel and a pioneer, those are her largest characteristics as a recording artist, but I think TFM very original and bold sound make her more so a rebel than BTW did. BTW definitely has some of her more avant garde songs but definitely sacrificed quality in doing so, whereas I believe TFM incorporated some haunting and avant garde styles while still maintaining a standard of quality pop music (Alejandro, DITD). What makes TFM her MO is it is well, undebatably her signature record as of now and also has her signature song, perhaps moreso with the GP than stans (especially on this site) and the fact that she did this with a very, very, very different sound from the one back then as well as maintaining her dark and avant garde concepts are what make it her MO.

Again both TFM and BTW are quality records, both well-crafted, both great albums

BTW is heavily-inspired, but that doesn't mean it's unoriginal. This is kinda the point of BTW and that Madonna thing. 

But yes Bad Romance is Gaga's magnum opus as a song and TFM is the archetype of late 2000s pop, I'll give you that.

2 hours ago, EmperorExca said:

It has more filler songs than any LG album to date and it was very frontloaded and hyped, hence the lack of longevity of the singles. 

Do you prefer the Standard edition or The Special edition?

Imo BTW's only fillers are FOHL & TQ. Without these tracks it would've been her magnus opus.

side note: I would've replaced Hair studio version with an acoustic one.

Antichrist
3 hours ago, Evolve said:

It will be ASIB when it's all said and done.

yes, those dialogues can crush the balls of BTW :legend:

PerfectExca
6 minutes ago, TMM90 said:

Do you prefer the Standard edition or The Special edition?

Imo BTW's only fillers are FOHL & TQ. Without these tracks it would've been her magnus opus.

side note: I would've replaced Hair studio version with an acoustic one.

Special edition. Also HU, Bad Kids, and EC are some of her weaker tracks. I'd also imagine any regular member of the GP would not fancy GH, BM, or Americano. It just seems like it lacks the same quality as TFM or Joanne. I'd go so far as to say ARTPOP has less filler. I'm definitely not saying Joanne is a better album, but you don't have to press skip as many times. Idk if the acoustic Hair would fit the album though hmm idk. Definitely a gem though. The special edition definitely makes up for the filler.

• 8 months later...

Archived