💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Shortest waits between pop albums

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Now for my promised follow-up to yesterday's "longest time between pop albums" thread, with the opposite - shortest time. Pop albums are definitely known for being produced quickly, so let's see who really takes that concept to heart. Once again, only studio albums count and the artist needs at least 3 albums to be considered. All the same names are here as from the previous thread.

Adele - 3 years (19 - 21)

Kesha - 2 years, 10 months (Animal - Warrior)

Ed Sheeran - 2 years, 9 months (x - Divide)

Christina Aguilera - 2 years, 5 months (Bionic - Lotus) *her Spanish language album didn't contain enough new material to count as an earlier release

Whitney Houston - 2 years, 4 months (Whitney Houston - Whitney)

Beyonce - 2 years, 2 months (B'Day - I Am...Sasha Fierce)

Katy Perry - 2 years, 2 months (One Of The Boys - Teenage Dream)

Bruno Mars - 2 years, 2 months (Doo-Wops & Hooligans - Unorthodox Jukebox)

Avril Lavigne - 1 year, 11 months (Let Go - Under My Skin)

Taylor Swift -  1 year, 11 months (Fearless - Speak Now)

Shania Twain - 1 year, 10 months (Shania Twain - The Woman In Me)

Maroon 5 - 1 year, 9 months (Hands All Over - Overexposed)

Pink - 1 year, 7 months (Can't Take Me Home - Missundaztood)

Madonna - 1 year, 4 months (Madonna - Like A Virgin)

Janet Jackson - 1 year, 4 months (Dream Street - Control)

NSYNC - 1 year, 4 months (No Strings Attached - Celebrity)

Backstreet Boys - 1 year, 3 months (Backstreet Boys - Backstreet's Back)

Mariah Carey - 1 year, 2 months (Glitter - Charmbracelet) *her Christmas album didn't have enough original material to be counted

Britney Spears - 1 year, 1 month (Blackout - Circus)

Miley Cyrus - 1 year, 1 month (Meet Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed)

Lady Gaga - 1 year, 1 month (The Fame - The Fame Monster)

ABBA - 1 year (Ring Ring - Waterloo)

Spice Girls - 1 year (Spice - Spiceworld)

Little Mix - 1 year (DNA - Salute)

One Direction - 1 year (Up All Night - Take Me Home)

Kylie Minogue - 11 months (Rhythm Of Love - Let's Get To It)

Rihanna - 8 months (Music Of The Sun - A Girl Like Me)

Justin Bieber - 7 months (Under The Mistletoe - Believe) *one of the few Christmas albums with enough original songs to count as a studio release

Jennifer Lopez - 6 months, 12 days (Como Ama Una Mujer - Brave)

Cher - 5 months, ??? days (Bittersweet White Light - Half-Breed) *no info available on exact release dates

Shakira - 5 months, 25 days (Fijación Oral, Vol. 1 - Oral Fixation, Vol. 2)

Ariana Grande - 5 months, 22 days (Sweetener - Thank U, Next)

Justin Timberlake - 5 months, 11 days (The 20/20 Experience - The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2)

Michael Jackson - 5 months, 11 days (Got To Be There - Ben)

Prince - less than 24 hours (The Chocolate Invasion - The Slaughterhouse) *he released them on the same day and he'd released Musicology 1 month before that!

So, there you have it. Any you were surprised about? I know there were a few that surprised me and it's easy to forget that in the 70's, it was common to release 2 albums a year, so releases just a few months apart were frequent, so this gives the older stars a bit of an edge whereas the only reason a younger star might've done that is if they were releasing a part 2 of an album with the same concept, but it still counts. Maybe the tide's going to turn and artists will start releasing more often now?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, the longest wait between albums is by an artist named Linda Perhacs with a gap of 43 yrs and 11 months.

SCHEISSEMONTRE
8 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Ariana Grande - 5 months, 22 days (Sweetener - Thank U, Next)

Justin Timberlake - 5 months, 11 days (The 20/20 Experience - The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2)

Michael Jackson - 5 months, 11 days (Got To Be There - Ben)

Yet everyone says she’s doing something different when MJ And JT did it before her. Smh

Mychal

Nicogly

I mean look at artists like King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard (really cool band btw) who released 5 amazing albums on 2017! (they are arguably pop too btw)

Rock On and A Last One For the Road 🚬

Nuggets

Lady Gaga - 20 years (Joanne - LG6)

Us: Sydney-Gay-and-Lesbian-Mardi-Gras-2016-1

Favorite McDonald's Snack

edengowon
18 minutes ago, Born To Slay said:

What about TFM-BTW? That was only 1 year and 6 months 

I think it isn't included because the wait between TF and TFM was shorter than that, therefore TFM-BTW is not Gaga's shortest

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Gracious Gaga
1 hour ago, Sharyu said:

FYI, the longest wait between albums is by an artist named Linda Perhacs with a gap of 43 yrs and 11 months.

Im sure Gaga could beat this record!!  Come on Gags !! you've got almost 3 years down, 40 more to go!!! #LG6in2k62

♥ Kindness Police.

StrawberryBlond
16 hours ago, Sharyu said:

Wow! Any reason why she took so long? I made a longest list yesterday too, by the way, but just focusing on popstars.

16 hours ago, SCHEISSEMONTRE said:

Yet everyone says she’s doing something different when MJ And JT did it before her. Smh

I think it's easy to forget that short gaps were common among acts pre-80's. And Justin only took that short amount of time because he'd made an entire body of work but divided it into 2 parts so he could make more money off it. Normally, he takes years between albums and this was just a different idea for him. But I understand why Ariana is considered the first from this current generation to do it and do it because it was clear she wanted to move on from an album which was almost all devoted to the guy she'd just broken up with and she was no longer feeling it, hence wanted to make music that was more akin to her current mood. And instead of waiting a year or more to turn out an album all about a break up, she did it in 6 months, even if she was still technically promoting her last project and had the tour planned for it. That's a unique situation that I've never heard of before. I don't know if that's ever been done. I was inspired to start this thread because of her situation and it was only when I got into it that I realised more artists have released a lot closer to this 6 month period than you'd think!

15 hours ago, Born To Slay said:

What about TFM-BTW? That was only 1 year and 6 months 

It's about the all-time shortest wait, not the second shortest.

15 hours ago, TheFame Monster said:

Between Fearless and Speak Now was 2 years not 1

Whoops, don't know how I did that. I forgot to put "1 year" before it for some reason, fixed. And now this puts Gaga ahead of her!

15 hours ago, Red said:

Oh wow Michael Jackson just made every Ariana hater stand corrected :selena: 

It wasn't my intention to gloat at Ariana, I was just super interested to see if anyone else in pop had released sooner and lo and behold, they had. It's just intended to be fun for music geeks like myself. But it's nice to see Gaga's got one of the shortest waits!

15 hours ago, Nicogly said:

I mean look at artists like King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard (really cool band btw) who released 5 amazing albums on 2017! (they are arguably pop too btw)

It must be someone who's got the name recognition to count, I'm afraid, and I've never heard of them. Pop is also a subjective term at times. I don't consider Adele pop but many do, hence why she's on this list, same with Beyonce, who's been more RnB for years now. But all-time shortest waits? There's definitely many artists from other genres who have outdone popstars. But as this is a pop forum, I focused on pop.

15 hours ago, Twitter said:

Even though I know TF-TFM but I’m still shook Gaga made the list. :cryga:

I definitely don't consider TFM an EP, so of course it made the list. Regardless of the wait, I still would've put her on it, though, as this is a Gaga forum and she's a popstar, so of course she should be there.

StrawberryBlond
20 minutes ago, Cherubjudas said:

But kesha released Cannibal EP if you count the fame monster EP

It wasn't long enough to be considered a studio album and Kesha's never considered it an album either. Without the Animal remix counting, it's just over 27 minutes long, barely scraping EP level length, whereas Gaga's, despite also having 8 tracks, were longer songs. Gaga also promoted TFM like a proper album and added a whole extra tour to support it.

Esteban
16 hours ago, Nicogly said:

Yes! And Ty segall too but I wouldn't call that pop. The production, promotion and creative process is very different from pop, it's more like a huge work in progress imo (like some djs) and there is way lesser people behind the projects sont it's easier for them to do what they want when they want and I love that :D

Archived