Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Where would Judas have debuted if it had a full week?

Born To Slay

Featured Posts

Born To Slay

Question in title. With about 300k in sales and about 34m ai, where would Judas have debuted? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That J

I've talked this so many times. Lol. It's a top ten hit. It's a fan fave. It's all good. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Inferno

To me, Judas was never gonna own the charts like I was lwokey surprised they made it a single. It has vague resemblance to Bad Romance so I think thats why but as much as I personally love it and think its one of my favorite tracks of hers, it just didnt seem like a smash radio hit to me. So when it debuted at 10 then fell off like I was not surprised. To this day I wonder what their decision making is in choosing singles it never makes any sense to me, at least not since The Fame Monster.

That J

I just know the only time I ever hear of Judas and a controversy, it's in the fan base and never with the GP.  That was always a cute idea but never truly happened ...at least not as big as some seem to remember it being. 

Regardless, it didnt hurt the album really. Edge was quickly released and helped alot and then You and I became a GP fave. 

Now she is so after the fact, they rarely discuss Bad Romance. It's all the new and the now the GP is about anyway.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

2020Covid19IsOurs

Judas and also PI only charted because of the hype. Both songs are loud and a lil bad. :giggle:

Gaga x JeffHardy x BillMaher

Bradley
31 minutes ago, Inferno said:

To me, Judas was never gonna own the charts like I was lwokey surprised they made it a single. It has vague resemblance to Bad Romance so I think thats why but as much as I personally love it and think its one of my favorite tracks of hers, it just didnt seem like a smash radio hit to me. So when it debuted at 10 then fell off like I was not surprised. To this day I wonder what their decision making is in choosing singles it never makes any sense to me, at least not since The Fame Monster.

I think they picked it because that track just screams craziness, in the veins of Bad Romance and Aura.

They acknowledged the possibility of Bad Romance flopping because it's so wild and different from anything else on the radio, but it flew. I think Gaga said that Michael Jackson didn't get to where he was without taking risks, so she went on with Bad Romance, and probably did the same for Judas.

So maybe after that they knew that the public wouldn't eat up something that is too out of the ordinary and switched out Aura for Applause, which is still a pretty bold song.

Their single choices actually make a lot of sense to me. Do What U Want was selected over Venus because it was almost critically acclaimed by everyone, and the views exploded, they probably also were aiming for a Best Pop Duo/Group Grammy. And the fans ADORED G.U.Y., Zedd was also pretty huge back then (still is) and it was one of the few songs that was unexplored, and hadn't been performed live yet.

Perfect Illusion is the only odd choice because I think Diamond Heart would have better represented the album Joanne, while still being an uptempo track but maybe the repetition 'It wasn't love, it wasn't love' in the chorus was very tempting to them and seemed more like a radio-type of chorus, and hence that choice.

Inferno
8 minutes ago, Kitsch said:

I think they picked it because that track just screams craziness, in the veins of Bad Romance and Aura.

They acknowledged the possibility of Bad Romance flopping because it's so wild and different from anything else on the radio, but it flew. I think Gaga said that Michael Jackson didn't get to where he was without taking risks, so she went on with Bad Romance, and probably did the same for Judas.

So maybe after that they knew that the public wouldn't eat up something that is too out of the ordinary and switched out Aura for Applause, which is still a pretty bold song.

Their single choices actually make a lot of sense to me. Do What U Want was selected over Venus because it was almost critically acclaimed by everyone, and the views exploded, they probably also were aiming for a Best Pop Duo/Group Grammy. And the fans ADORED G.U.Y., Zedd was also pretty huge back then (still is) and it was one of the few songs that was unexplored, and hadn't been performed live yet.

Perfect Illusion is the only odd choice because I think Diamond Heart would have better represented the album Joanne, while still being an uptempo track but maybe the repetition 'It wasn't love, it wasn't love' in the chorus was very tempting to them and seemed more like a radio-type of chorus, and hence that choice.

Well let me rephrase, I understand some of the single choices from Born This Way/ARTPOP. As you said, Applause was a safer choice then Aura to a degree. But what I meant was, I don't understand why they would bother with such a mentality and in doing so, I feel there were better lead single choices than Applause if they were going to go a safer route with mild eccentricity anyway? Sexxx Dreams, GUY, even Do What U Want production wise (if we hypothetically omit RKellys involvement for a minute here) imo had more potential for popularity and longevity than Applause which Gaga has basically on multiple occasions admitted was Troy's choice and not her own. Which leads me to believe he just heard its EDM influence and in a 2013 world was like yup, that one. Idk. Perfect Illusion is a bit of a puzzle, I agree with you, the chorus and the fact that it was the closest thing to a  fast paced "banger" Joanne had made them think it had potential when it clearly did not OR they were just so far into their own work they lost sight of what could actually succeed. I feel John Wayne was Gaga enough but also Joanne enough to be a better bridge between ARTPOP and her then new album imo.

Bradley
3 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Well let me rephrase, I understand some of the single choices from Born This Way/ARTPOP. As you said, Applause was a safer choice then Aura to a degree. But what I meant was, I don't understand why they would bother with such a mentality and in doing so, I feel there were better lead single choices than Applause if they were going to go a safer route with mild eccentricity anyway? Sexxx Dreams, GUY, even Do What U Want production wise (if we hypothetically omit RKellys involvement for a minute here) imo had more potential for popularity and longevity than Applause which Gaga has basically on multiple occasions admitted was Troy's choice and not her own. Which leads me to believe he just heard its EDM influence and in a 2013 world was like yup, that one. Idk. Perfect Illusion is a bit of a puzzle, I agree with you, the chorus and the fact that it was the closest thing to a  fast paced "banger" Joanne had made them think it had potential when it clearly did not. I feel John Wayne was Gaga enough but also Joanne enough to be a better bridge between ARTPOP and her then new album imo.

I don't understand how Sexxx Dreams and G.U.Y. are better choices than Applause tbh. It's not like Troy made Applause, it's still a Gaga song after all, so she probably thought 'well I love that song anyway so I'm fine with it being a lead' and she always asserted that she and her management all agreed on the choice, it wasn't the decision of one single party. Also they probably wanted the lead to be a solo Lady Gaga song, and then introduce a collaboration (Do What U Want) as a promo/second single. The hype was huge enough for a solo song to succeed, so she saved the collaboration for later.

Between John Wayne and Perfect Illusion, I think Perfect Illusion is the more polarising song. It's either too loud or pure eargasm for the listener. I have seen fans that think Perfect Illusion is one of the best songs she's ever created, and show a lot of appreciation for the song, but admittedly it's not a very commercial song. Besides, they were touting the names of Mark Ronson and Bloodpop a lot, and they both just made huge hits like Uptown Funk and Sorry, so they probably thought 'how wrong can it be? These producers made megahits and this must work as well.'

FfFfFfFF
1 hour ago, SCHEISSEMONTRE said:

I’m not sure tbh if the GP didn’t bash it, it would be around top 10 

It WAS top 10 (#10) even without a full tracking week.

Inferno
17 minutes ago, Kitsch said:

I don't understand how Sexxx Dreams and G.U.Y. are better choices than Applause tbh. It's not like Troy made Applause, it's still a Gaga song after all, so she probably thought 'well I love that song anyway so I'm fine with it being a lead' and she always asserted that she and her management all agreed on the choice, it wasn't the decision of one single party. Also they probably wanted the lead to be a solo Lady Gaga song, and then introduce a collaboration (Do What U Want) as a promo/second single. The hype was huge enough for a solo song to succeed, so she saved the collaboration for later.

Between John Wayne and Perfect Illusion, I think Perfect Illusion is the more polarising song. It's either too loud or pure eargasm for the listener. I have seen fans that think Perfect Illusion is one of the best songs she's ever created, and show a lot of appreciation for the song, but admittedly it's not a very commercial song. Besides, they were touting the names of Mark Ronson and Bloodpop a lot, and they both just made huge hits like Uptown Funk and Sorry, so they probably thought 'how wrong can it be? These producers made megahits and this must work as well.'

I think both Sexxx Dreams and GUY are simply better pop songs that highlight Gaga being Gaga while still being commercially accessible for casual listeners. Whereas I think Applause has a bit of a lazy chorus and bridge and flatlines a bit. I like Applause, never been enamored with it in the same way I was with Sexxx Dreams slick groovy production or GUY as a sort of hard slamming dance/pop track. Applause is so middling by comparison IMO. If they were trying to go for safe Gagafied I just think Sex and GUY were more dynamic. Thats really what im trying to say I guess, they're just cooler to me and I think would've clicked more with audiences especially if they were given lead single treatment. Had GUY been given the radio attention that Applause was given? IMO that sh*t would've smashed in a way that Applause couldn't. Not saying Applause wasn't successful but imo, it hit a wall that those other songs would not have.

Still in the top 10 here in USA. Everyone was here for Gaga but not the song since it released with religious metaphors around Easter. :poot:

Archived