LG6
economy

Airline To Remove Magazines To Reduce Weight Of Plane & Fuel Consumption

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/westjet-assessing-airport-taxis-weight-of-magazines-to-battle-fuel-costs-ceo-says-1.1210097

Canadian Airline West Jet is looking at ways to reduce weight on its planes to reduce fuel consumption and it's looking even at the amount of magazines on the back seats to consider its weight and impact on fuel

-------------------

I know airlines tend to have extremely tight razor thin profit margins but if your looking at magazines to reduce weight that's some serious desperation right there :air:

Edited by Economy
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 5

FlopSlurper

Me doing an assignment and thinking of recommendations so I can include sustainability in it :fan:

• Like 2
  • LMAO 5

Andreu

good for them I guess, every little improvement still is an improvement

AviciiDaily
  • Like 2

BenG
10 minutes ago, Economy said:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/westjet-assessing-airport-taxis-weight-of-magazines-to-battle-fuel-costs-ceo-says-1.1210097

Canadian Airline West Jet is looking at ways to reduce weight on its planes to reduce fuel consumption and it's looking even at the amount of magazines on the back seats to consider its weight and impact on fuel

-------------------

I know airlines tend to have extremely tight razor thin profit margins but if your looking at magazines to reduce weight that's some serious desperation right there :air:

You'd be surprised. Those weights add up to a lot of fuel in the long run. Qantas calculated the weight in so much detail, down to the utensils so that it can do Perth to London.

Some airlines are removing duty free goods on the plane for the same reason.

Edited by BenG
  • Like 4

NightOwner

Everybody brings their own magazines, watches a movie, or sleep during flights anyway.

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

Economy
12 minutes ago, BenG said:

You'd be surprised. Those weights add up to a lot of fuel in the long run. Qantas calculated the weight in so much detail, down to the utensils so that it can do Perth to London.

Some airlines are removing duty free goods on the plane for the same reason.

I know airlines is one of the industries that struggles the most to make profit and fuel is their biggest expense so it makes sense to try to save any fuel they can I just never thought they'd look at stuff that tiny tho

But now that I think about it... Let's say each seat has 1 pound of magazines multiplied by 200 seats that's 200 pounds of paper ( the equivalent of an extra heavy person for every single flight for thousands of miles each flight)... Multiplied by every airplane an airline owns

I guess I can see how it may make a small measurable difference especially if half these companies are barely breaking even

littlepotter
32 minutes ago, misunderstood said:

RRR.gif

:poot:

major flashback to 6th grade when these were the only 3 english words i knew

• Love 1

BenG
36 minutes ago, Economy said:

I know airlines is one of the industries that struggles the most to make profit and fuel is their biggest expense so it makes sense to try to save any fuel they can I just never thought they'd look at stuff that tiny tho

But now that I think about it... Let's say each seat has 1 pound of magazines multiplied by 200 seats that's 200 pounds of paper ( the equivalent of an extra heavy person for every single flight for thousands of miles each flight)... Multiplied by every airplane an airline owns

I guess I can see how it may make a small measurable difference especially if half these companies are barely breaking even

Yup, that's why some of the major US airlines are even removing entertainment systems for short haul planes to save weight (and of course the fixed cost)

TimisaMonster

I mean do the stewardesses even need clothes? That's extra weight and can save money too...:ohwell:

• LMAO 1

Wigless
1 hour ago, Economy said:

-------------------

Girl what? Don’t nobody use those. It’s dumb they kept them on for this long. iPads have replaced them. 

• Like 1

GypsyBabe

Add all the magazines up and it would equate to the weight of one whole human :diane: 

⚯͛
  • Like 1

Economy
44 minutes ago, Wigless said:

Girl what? Don’t nobody use those. It’s dumb they kept them on for this long. iPads have replaced them. 

True they don't really need to be there... It just sounds desperate tho if u announce that as a way to cost cut fuel :emma:

scallywally

Ryan air (crap) did this years ago, it was to save cleaning time before landing and take off. Maybe it was for the fuel too but that's what we were told. The quick turn around makes for cheaper fares (Obviously they make more too).  

Try to never fly on them anyway its really basic with bad customer service. 

Wigless
9 minutes ago, Economy said:

True they don't really need to be there... It just sounds desperate tho if u announce that as a way to cost cut fuel :emma:

Okay true, they coulda just done it in silence lmao. Poor WasteJet

• LMAO 1