Stefani Tee
🎤 Use code GAGAVEGAS at SeatGeek.com to get $20 off tickets 🎤
economy

6 Countries Have More Debt Than Their Economy

Featured Posts

Economy

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/households-debt-to-gdp

Total Consumer debt in these 6 Nations is higher than the entire Nations annual economic output. Debt such as mortgages, car loans, student loans, credit cards etc

Countries with exceptionally high consumer debt are at the highest risks of financial meltdowns such as what happened to the United States in 2007/2008

1. Switzerland: 128.8% of GDP

2. Australia: 121.3% of GDP

3. Denmark: 117% of GDP

4. Netherlands: 103.6% of GDP

5. Norway: 101.4% of GDP

6 Canada: 100.2% of GDP

Other major economies by comparison:

UK: 86.3% of GDP

USA: 76.6% of GDP

France: 59.1% of GDP

Japan: 57.4% of GDP

Germany: 52.5% of GDP

Italy: 41% of GDP

Edited by Economy
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 2

malazam

I wasn’t expecting that list at all.

another shot before we kiss the other side
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Economy

@Luc @Lord Temptation

Your Countries got me beat :emma:

Tho these rankings vary slightly depending on what exactly is factored in

I know for private sector debt (so including companies) Australia was the worst in the world and then Canada was second worst

But interestingly, most of these Nations with high consumer debt in turn have low government debt. Im curious on your perspective why that tends to be the case @Woolfsmck

These nations I listed at the bottom like Italy and Japan and USA with lower consumer debt have way higher government debt :huh:

Edited by Economy
  • Shook 1

Curunir

I don't know a lot about economy, so bear with me if I sound stupid :cryga:

Weren't those 6 countries basically left unscathed by the financial crisis back in 2008/2009?

Countries like Greece, Spain and Portugal are struggling to this day to recover from it, whereas the ones listed recovered from it quite quickly (if they needed any recovery at all) and are one of the richest countries in the world :huh:

EDIT: Mess, completely missed the part where we're talking about consumer debt and not government debt :smh:

Edited by Curunir

Chuckles
5 minutes ago, Economy said:

@Luc @Lord Temptation

Your Countries got me beat :emma:

Tho these rankings vary slightly depending on what exactly is factored in

I know for private sector debt (so including companies) Australia was the worst in the world and then Canada was second worst

But interestingly, most of these Nations with high consumer debt in turn have low government debt

These nations I listed at the bottom line Italy and Japan and USA with lower cost sumer debt have way higher government debt :huh:

I was just about to ask what are the factors considered for this :huntyga:

LabCoatDude

I'm expecting low income countries to get here. :udidnt: I guess many people in wealthy nations spend too much, like in the US last decade.

I hope they fix this quickly because a financial meltdown from these nations will greatly affect other countries as well.

Economy
Just now, malazam said:

I wasn’t expecting that list at all.

These countries mostly avoided the severe downturn of 2008 and so banks kept lending and people kept borrowing in Nations like these

Because banks kept lending and interest rates were lowered to fight any effect of recession some of these Countries that escaped most of the recession ended up with surging real-estate prices and exploding consumer debt

Canada, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Australia, Netherlands on this list all have had real estate prices go way up and also consumers binge on debt

Some other Countries like Finland and Sweden had similar issues although I guess not quite bad enough to be above 100% of their GDP

Countries that did poorly in recession like USA, Italy for example actually had debt levels fall because real-estate prices fell and also banks reduced lending meant consumers were paying off more debt than they were borrowing

Interestingly tho, most of these Nations with high consumer debt have low Government debt (Canada & Australia in particular have very low government debt).... But countries with low consumer debt on this list have a lot of government debt

It's like they work in reverse to one another

• Like 2

Economy
Just now, Curunir said:

I don't know a lot about economy, so bear with me if I sound stupid :cryga:

Weren't those 6 countries basically left unscathed by the financial crisis back in 2008/2009?

Countries like Greece, Spain and Portugal are struggling to this day to recover from it, whereas the ones listed recovered from it quite quickly (if they needed any recovery at all) and are one of the richest countries in the world :huh:

Yes. Finland and Sweden also mostly unscathed and they have high consumer debt as well

What happened is in these countries banks didn't stop lending and real-estate didn't get the kind of correction most of the world got and prices kept going up

While in most Nations consumers were forced to focus on repaying loans or put off buying houses etc because credit was tight...

In Nations that avoided the worse of the financial crisis the spending sprees continued and there was no correction... And because rates have stayed low the debt has continued to pile on the last few years to gigantic proportions

Here's something to put it into perspective how bad it's gotten in some of these countries

In USA in 2007 before the crash consumer debt averaged 134% of disposable income. In Canada right now and in much of northern Europe by comparison consumer debt is over 170% of disposable income way worse than it ever got in the US

• Thanks 1

Economy
2 minutes ago, LabCoatDude said:

I'm expecting low income countries to get here. :udidnt: I guess many people in wealthy nations spend too much, like in the US last decade.

I hope they fix this quickly because a financial meltdown from these nations will greatly affect other countries as well.

Nations that do well ironically tend to also have a more leveraged economy with it

Countries that are doing poorly tend to have less lending and credit available also people tend to be more cautious as well due to bad economy even if credit is available to them

Sometimes there's exceptions but this is how it tends to go

Economy
5 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

I was just about to ask what are the factors considered for this :huntyga:

This is household debt. So mortgages, car loans, student debt, credit card debt etc

I saw a list recently for private sector debt so it included all of this but also debt from Companies as well and on that list Australia was the worst and then Canada was #2 but the other 6 more or less were also the worst on that list as well only the order was slightly different

• Thanks 1

Dream Rider

So I don't know much about economy but I'm glad to be learning in ggd. I have a question indeed  

These numbers and some others could indicate that some countries are a time bomb that will inevitably explode or it's uncertain to know that precisely

Economy
4 minutes ago, Dream Rider said:

So I don't know much about economy but I'm glad to be learning in ggd. I have a question indeed  

These numbers and some others could indicate that some countries are a time bomb that will inevitably explode or it's uncertain to know that precisely

Time will tell. Not all bubbles burst some can deflate

If conditions are just right sometimes big imbalances can gradually correct rather than cause a sudden crash

But it's hard to know what will happen before it happens

• Thanks 1

RAMROD

That typical "all Switzerland peoples are wealthy af" notion are now crushed :diane:

Edited by RAMROD
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ I ♥ Am ♥ The ♥ Clown ♥ Hiding ♥ Under ♥ Your ♥ Bed ♥
  • LMAO 1

JustinTrudeau

Dang, I didn't expect this list. But Canadians do spend a lot of money and drive themselves into debt.

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.