💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

Variety: ASIB is underperforming because it didn't have a social message

Chickens in Malibu

Featured Posts

Chickens in Malibu

I think this is an interesting analysis. ASIB's campaign has been so weak because even during the speeches, there isn't a "social message" narrative to pitch. Gaga tried making it about addiction at the CCAs but I don't think it resonated that well. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/oscar-nominations-social-message-black-panther-1203114265/

"The gradual decline of “A Star Is Born” during awards season has been, for those of us who love the film, a somewhat depressing spectacle to watch. But now that the decline is more or less complete, I think its meaning has at last become clear. “A Star Is Born” was, and is, a rapturous knockout of a romantic melodrama (it’s not as if I’m alone in seeing it that way), but it’s a movie that’s completely and utterly bereft of a social message. In 2018, that makes it seem (dare I say it?) more trivial than the other contenders. It’s just a love story. And though it’s a very grand love story, and was an extraordinarily huge hit, these days that isn’t enough.

Just look at this year’s eight best picture contenders: “Black Panther” (a one-film revolution, and long overdue: the first epically scaled African-American superhero movie), “BlacKkKlansman” (a racial police drama of searing relevance), “The Favourite” (a costume drama of intense post-#MeToo consciousness about issues of female oppression and power), “Roma” (a drama of class consciousness and luminous empathy for a Mexican housekeeper, in an era when immigrants are being demonized), and “Vice” (a pointed political-satirical attack on the sins of a clandestine conservative demagogue)."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chickens in Malibu
Just now, Emigrante said:

Underperforming?? XDD

It is underperforming. It didn't win any non-Gaga category so far.

Sneaky Oliver

I think the fact it’s a remake is the biggest factor for the “underperformance”. It seems undeserving compared to the original movies :shrug:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

BLACKOUTbritney

Yikes

Gaga spoke about addiction because that’s a huge theme the film deals with and explores. She didn’t do it to have a speech that everyone will share on Facebook for a week and then forget about. I’m so over this “every award speech needs to have a message bs”. If anything, viewers are tired of being preached at by celebrities who themselves don’t practice what they’re preaching. 

Chickens in Malibu
Just now, BLACKOUTbritney said:

Yikes

Gaga spoke about addiction because that’s a huge theme the film deals with and explores. She didn’t do it to have a speech that everyone will share on Facebook for a week and then forget about. I’m so over this “every award speech needs to have a message bs”. If anything, viewers are tired of being preached at by celebrities who themselves don’t practice what they’re preaching. 

Unfortunately that's how Oscar Campaigns are now. It's all about Social Message. Hence why Gaga tried to tie the movie to a bigger social message in her speech. She understands that's how it works.

AlexanderMagno

I think they gave Gaga too much attention.

This movie is not perceived as "the remake of a classic". It's promoted as "the Shallow movie". It's very much about the songs and Gaga chemistry with Bradley Cooper, and the movie itself is kind of dismissed.

But I think that was the strategy they chose. At least they are making sure it makes the headlines because of Gaga and the song. Trying to promote the movie in a different could be less secure.

Ryusei

kind of stupid that that is needed nowadays and it cant just be about acting... (even though it does have a message...)

Musery

Quartz

This article is stupid. Like, it really is so stupid. The antagonist of the film was addiction. How is that not a social message. Thanks for posting the article in the OP, they don't deserve clicks in their stupid website.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

They made a point.

I always felt that some of the songs should have touched on addiction like the movie does. That was my one complaint

Archived