press

Variety: ASIB is underperforming because it didn't have a social message

Chickens in Malibu

Featured Posts

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crisTEAne

black panther and its "social message" can burn in fire. it shouldn't even be nominated, ffs. :neyde:

as for asib lacking a "social message": love is a big fat social message itself in this day and age because everything is cynical and people are ****ing afraid of their own feelings. if there's one thing asib did well is that it managed to portray emotional co-dependence and mental health issues quite well. a "social message" is not necessarily gender- or "race"-related. there's variety to that, variety. 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

LGMonster95

This movie is all about addiction and they say it doesn't have any social message? (even thought it's a really stupid thing for a movie to "underperform") and I'm pretty sure Gaga has talked about it a lot of times on her interviews. I have to laugh

freebit

I do think people brush it off because it is a love story. I remember one of the writers of Variety (I think it was Feinberg) compared it to The Notebook. I'm not surprised its not being taken as seriously as it could. A lot men trivialize things that women tend to love (like romantic dramas), even though this one deals with addiction. 

Well, yes, the movie is missing some major nominations, but what did they expect? There are actors and actresses who struggle with getting even ONE nomination in their whole life or some who are snubbed continuously. Furthermore, it's the 4th remake of a well-known story.

Anyway, we're talking about 8 nominations, which include a first-time actress being acknowledged among the 5 most impressive performances of the year by the Academy Awards (the global biggest existing recognition for an actor). It's HUGE and beyond any sort of prediction.

Archived