Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

The story behind the Ally billboard

LaLa

Featured Posts

Vulture's #1 ASIB stan Hunter Harris interviewed the graphic designer behind the Ally billboard. 

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/the-story-behind-a-star-is-born-irl-lady-gaga-ally-billboard.html

"The studio provided Burrell with three photos of Gaga in character as Ally to choose from. Burrell decided to go with the low-key, tangerine-haired option because “she wasn’t done up as far as makeup goes, and it just felt very raw,” Burrell said. “Gaga herself is so radiant with that hair color. I felt like she needed to be the center of the image without any distractions.” Burrell then designed a color palette that looked like stage lighting, so the billboard would look like it came from a shoot where the lights were reflecting off of Ally’s face. “I sent like four or five different color waves to [Murphy],” she said. “She sent it to Bradley and Gaga and they came back and they loved it. There wasn’t a lot of back and forth. It was handpicked by them.”

Burrell designed the movie’s billboard in October 2018. Exactly a year later, Warner Bros. asked her to make it real. “They were like, ‘We want to put it out there for awards season to create buzz,’” she said. “They wanted it exactly how I had designed it. Obviously the design that I had made was done in visual effects. It was a much smaller format. I widened it and added more colors.”

15-ally-billboard.w700.h467.jpg

Breakdown

Unpopular opinion: she looked her best in the movie as ginger! She looked so beautiful in that poster. :flutter:

So starry eyed on the flowery hillside, breathless and fervid amid the dandelions.

Chromatic
11 minutes ago, LaLa said:

‘We want to put it out there for awards season to create buzz,’

Gaga's team are such trolls, and we fall for it every damn time :messga:

edengowon

So wait... that one in Hollywood or Beverly Hills or wherever it was... was Gaga's team?!

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Teal Ambition
3 minutes ago, ARealWildMan said:

So wait... that one in Hollywood or Beverly Hills or wherever it was... was Gaga's team?!

Who did you think put it there? :laughga:

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌

Teal Ambition

Tyler Oakley confirmed he didn't buy the Billboard :laughga:

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌

LeJudas
5 minutes ago, Teal Ambition said:

Who did you think put it there? :laughga:

A hopelessly devoted Stan.

I already prepaid for 20 billboards to be put across the city of LA. Thanks to my great aunt's credit card. Xoxo a desperate Stan.

Monsterish

I think the billboard was pretty cool, but it needed an album/single date to look more music-ish :shrug:

freebit
27 minutes ago, ARealWildMan said:

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Gaga's team are such trolls, and we fall for it every damn time :messga:

It says in the article Warner is the one responsible.

J e s s e
58 minutes ago, LaLa said:

Gaga talked about seeing it in this interview from the GGs too (at about 3:21)

She was so happy and upbeat only a couple weeks ago :selena: and now arabella...

"They have as much in common as dinosaurs and goldfish: the cracker kind!" - Penelope Garcia

Schizophonic
1 hour ago, Yvi Monster said:

I think the billboard was pretty cool, but it needed an album/single date to look more music-ish :shrug:

the fan theories, rumours and meltdowns...

Borislshere

I love the idea behind the billboard but it just looks incomplete. Like who are they promoting, what exactly are they promoting . She still looked amazing though, I just wish there was more detail to make it feel like an actual promotional billboard. 

Archived