Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Imagine pop culture without Gaga

AlexanderMagno

Featured Posts

AlexanderMagno

I was wondering how different the music world would be without Gaga. How do you see it?

First, no Adele phenomenon. Yap, I'm sure megastar queen of music Adele would never happen. Despite her talent, being the anti-Lady Gaga in a world where every pop star went Gaga-style was . So, imagine a world where neither 21 or 25 were the humongous success we witnessed. I find it shocking, and a bit sad.

Katy Perry would become the Pop Queen of this generation, which means that pop would have fallen into the depths of futility. One of the things that Gaga brought to this world was pop music as a potentially powerful and significant genre. She made pop interesting, artistic, worth analysing. If Gaga didn't exist, Katy's success would cement pop as a commercial music genre, purely for the radios to eat up. No social movements or meaningful lyrics. No symbolic outfits. Just bubblegum, mainstream pop, that would never be taken seriously.

Can you imagine how different would be the careers of Katy Perry, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, and countless others? Gaga pushed them to higher, daring grounds.

Given the top charts back then, no Gaga would mean no dance-pop as the dominant genre, so that would probably remain something from the past or simply underground.No Gaga, we'd have no Born This Way. Pop artists wouldn't focus so much on LGBT issues, which means it wouldn't be a big a deal, which means less political attention. Remember that lots of LGBT rights advanced after Gaga appeared.

No Gaga, no fanbases. Sure, fans existed since forever (and Little Monsters was not the first fandom name created, but before there wasn't really any pressure about it), but it was only after the explosion of the "Little Monsters" that we started witnessing the true movement of fanbases, where everyone had a name (Lovatics, KatyCats, Swifties, Selenators, and I don't even know what else).

So, a world without Gaga would mean a world without the pop landscape we have today, both from pop stars to other vocalists, a world where LGBT rights didn't have the major social attention that prompted some advances, a world where pop was doomed to become as meaningless as a pet rock, a world where we wouldn't be here. Really, when you think about it, Gaga had a much bigger impact than people admit. Her success was a benchmark for pop culture and there aren't that many.

twitter-does-not-exist.jpg

EDIT: A world where abstract designer clothing is weird. Being gay and making friends with straights would be non existent. Without Gaga some pop girls careers would still exist. :reductive: Also every pop girl would be fighting for that slot to be different and innovative. That’s well enough proof that Gaga is an impact. 

JustAnother

In all honesty it wouldn’t be that different lol. Aside for all her fashion impacts, huge fanbases would still be a thing (Social media like Twitter is the reason for that, Gaga was just lucky enough to become big at the right time) LGBT rights would still matter and all those be yourself hits would still be a thing, Adele would still be popular, etc. Gaga is obviously an amazing talent (something that actually makes her stands out) and definitely was the face of change in the industry, but honestly if it wasn’t her it probably would’ve been someone else. 

androiduser

not much of a difference, regarding the other stars.... the world existed well before Gaga came along, and the pop scene was much stronger in the 80's and the 90's anyway

Defmix100

I've thought about this before and how different things would be if for example Redone stuck with his original thoughts that he didn't want to meet with her because she was an unsigned artist. Also when you hear about people who say they didn't commit suicide because of her, it's not hard to believe that those people would not be here now if Gaga never happened

Emigrante

The Adele thing is more than sure.   I always think about this and she surely has that massive success because of Gaga and pop landscape being weird enough after Gaga.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

sarahb

WAY too many butterfly effects from even the smallest things to think she'd have minimal impact if she wasn't a thing

Pray4FameGa

I deffo think she injected a lot of drama and theatricality to pop culture. There are pictures of pop stars before and after Gaga and you can see the difference in their fashion.

She elevated everything for sure, and yes I think she is one of the reasons EDM blew up. The world did truly go Gaga for a year or two. She had this weird, electrifying, alien presence. Everything she did, the world watched. I do think she got a bit lost in it all though and ended up repeatedly trying to out-Gaga herself and lost what made it special.

I remember when she first blew up, I hated her but I couldn't stop watching with an open mouth, and everyone was talking about her. Tbh, I think it was the last true pop moment. No one has done anything remotely similar since. My mum and I watched her whole Glastonbury set on TV just not knowing what to think but also in awe and shock.

She has done so much for pop as an art form, and no one is following in her footsteps imo. It will take a long time before someone as daring and as visionary comes along.

I know one thing for sure, Beyonce wouldn't be who she is now without Gaga's impact. She'd still be a basic af popstar with a great voice. Same can be said for many popstars, but Beyonce is someone who has imo so obviously been impacted by Gaga.

Sneaky Oliver

I can totally envision the popstars wearing pretty dresses in red carpets, tops and jeans to attend to tv shows, standing behind the mic or dancing some sexy choreo, maybe the pop-rock-ish  Avril-like sound would last a little longer like Katy’s debut album. Not so many huge live performances at the awards shows. Kesha and other dance-pop/EDM singers would remain as unknown songwriters. MDNA era would have half of the promo it actually had which’s basically nonexistent :messga:

I know Gaga was not like Jesus of pop, but you can’t deny that she had a huge impact and a lot changed after she came into the scene. 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

AJRocketMan

My life would be significantly more boring had she not been around, and I wouldn't be as brave to be my true self had it not been for her.

Pop culture would have also been far more bland than it ended up being, and avant-garde fashion, dance music, gay people, and performance art would be seen as too weird and seedy like the pre-Gaga days had it not been for her. Concerts and special performances would be far less extravagant and entertaining had it not been for her, and showmanship would be completely dead (hell, it already is, since very few people dared to do it in the first place even after she hit it big). Practicing your creativity and artistry in your everyday life would be looked down upon and seen as transgressive and would likely lead to social isolation. Electronic music wouldn't be taken as seriously as an art form like it is today.

But most of all, without her, we wouldn't have all of the beautiful, wonderful memories that she had made for us. And we would all feel a lot emptier had it not been for her.

SharkmanthaC

I don't think naming fanbases would be such a thing. Was Gaga the first to do that?

she/her/hers

Archived