Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Old vs new Gaga lyrics

Regina George

Featured Posts

Regina George

Okay so I was listening to old pre fame Gaga demos and some of The Fame / The Fame Monster tracks and I noticed something. A lot of you probably won’t agree with me but Gaga’s old lyrics are much “smarter” and more “mature” than the newer ones. I know her new songs for Joanne and ASIB OS are more mature because of their context but they are not lyrically as smart and as imaginative as old Gaga lyrics. I don’t know why she (IMO) kinda downgraded when it comes to lyrics. And the fact that she used to write those lyrics alone and now she has like 5 people helping her is beyond crazy to me. 

I’m interested to see what y’all think and do you agree/disagree with me? 

I’ve been saying this for a while now. 

Paparazzi is an excellent example. I remember when she first debuted, she had a knack of having lyrics you literally had to Google just to understand what the hell she was talking about. They were extremely off the cuff and complex. 

Her lyrics now dont compare. At all. 

Regina George
Just now, thwip said:

I’ve been saying this for a while now. 

Paparazzi is an excellent example. I remember when she first debuted, she had a knack of having lyrics you literally had to Google just to understand what the hell she was talking about. They were extremely off the cuff and complex. 

Her lyrics now dont compare. At all. 

OMG yes yes and yes! I totally agree. I wonder why she downgraded so much...

I feel like Gaga lyrics used to sound more complex but because she couldn’t express her feelings in an easy way. It reflects in her interviews as well, watch her The Fame era interviews, most of the time you couldn’t reaaaally understand her point.

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

bloody g

I think ASIB doesn't count bc she was writing for someone else, but I have to agree that Joanne had a lazy writing (besides Dancin In Circles).

Those fun smart lyrics are present even in ARTPOP, I miss them.

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

Regina George
Just now, Red said:

I feel like Gaga lyrics used to sound more complex but because she couldn’t express her feelings in an easy way. It reflects in her interviews as well, watch her The Fame era interviews, most of the time you couldn’t reaaaally understand her point.

Hmm this is an interesting take on the situation. Definitely can see this as the reason why she doesn’t have as complex lyrics as she used to. 

Quartz

I agree to an extent. The Fame tracks' lyrics were really something else. But I don't see the direction she's heading a downgrade. It's just different. I'm certain we'll get to wittier lyrics when the narrative she wants to share dictates it.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

2 minutes ago, Red said:

Lol probably why she has to come up with a script before press junkets now and repeats the same thing over and over and over. 

Regina George
1 minute ago, hellothing said:

I agree to an extent. The Fame tracks' lyrics were really something else. But I don't see the direction she's heading a downgrade. It's just different. I'm certain we'll get to wittier lyrics when the narrative she wants to share dictates it.

I’m just so impressed that she was like 17 when she wrote some of the songs that leaked last year and they sound so mature and so smart. And I said downgrade because I feel like it should be the other way around - when you’re older you are smarter and you can write more complex lyrics. In Gaga’s case it’s kinda different. 

bloody g
3 minutes ago, hellothing said:

I agree, it's not a downgrade. Joanne had simplier lyrics bc it was it's purpose.

ASIB too bc it wasn't a Gaga album.

We just hadn't had a true Lady Gaga experience since 2013.

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

I totally agree with you, and this is my theory:

A) When you are younger and you make art, you make it totally for yourself and never in your craziest dreams you think that it will end up being appreciated by everybody in the world. That gives you much more freedom and less pressure during the process.

B) When you are younger, you are WAY more pretentious and you use all kinds of resources to impact or beautify your poems, songs, etc.

C) Drugs are bad for you, but boy they can inspire great pieces of art.

D) All the above options.

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch, just drink my ****ing coffee and watch 90's cartoons and hush

Regina George
16 minutes ago, Ashtosh said:

Don't do drugs kids 

Edit: nvm got it 

Phoebe Buffay

i totally get and agree with everything you said. the fame monster, born this way and ARTPOP have some of her most complex and artistic lyrics, with bloody mary, so happy i could die, aura, ARTPOP, sexxx dreams, marry the night, the edge of glory being a few examples.

Archived