Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why Warner Bros did not release ASIB in China?

FullPsychotic

Featured Posts

FullPsychotic

I searched the web but I didn't find anything, just a comment to an article, stating Gaga could be on China's naughty list (she met with Dalai Lama for example but I don't think she's the only one).

Or maybe was the movie itself not considered appealing to chinese audiences? I don't think so since it was released in Hong Kong and performed well.

What do you think/know about it?

It’s going to make over $400m worldwide, which is way more than expected.  They probably won’t bother investing in a Chinese release as it’s not worth the red tape just to add maybe $10m to the gross.

FullPsychotic
1 minute ago, S0436 said:

It’s going to make over $400m worldwide, which is way more than expected.  They probably won’t bother investing in a Chinese release as it’s not worth the red tape just to add maybe $10m to the gross.

Of course it's too late and the result is impressive.

Just wondering why they didn't do it by time.

Reject False Icons

Maybe it's a little off topic but...

Why ASIB was released so late in japan? :confused:

LetsGetHigh

Warner Bros doesn't distribute movies in China, a local Chinese distributor needs to "buy" the rights to ASIB there in order to release it to cinemas and it seems that no distributor is interested.

Lord Temptation

It flopped in neighbouring South Korea and is doing only just OK in Japan so maybe the Chinese were worried it would also flop there. Even though it did extremely well in Taiwan. 

FullPsychotic
56 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

It flopped in neighbouring South Korea and is doing only just OK in Japan so maybe the Chinese were worried it would also flop there. Even though it did extremely well in Taiwan. 

This make sense now because we know how things went in those countries. But before? There was not a release date, maybe as it was said before no local distributor had interest.

I would say it underperformed in South Korea but did great/good in Taiwan, H.K., Japan.

Consider also the movie is rated R in US and a lot of other countries,

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1517451/parentalguide/certificates

It affects box office results. I don't know if it played a role about chinese market decision.

It's curious that in Norway and Sweden kids under ten years could see the movie and in Italy/France it had no restriction at all for what I see in that list.

Guillaume Hamon

Didn't China censored anything lady gaga-related after she met with the Dalai Lama?

As said earlier a local distributor needs to buy it from Warner Bros to then distribute it in China but if gaga music is censored there I guess a gaga movie would also be banned so Chinese cinema moguls surely know there's no point in buying it.

YourEvilTwin

For the billionth time, no, she's NOT banned. This is purely a business decision on WB's part. China puts a quota on the number of foreign films shown in general cinemas each year, and since the Chinese audience have historically been completely uninterested in musicals, importing ASIB would most likely be a waste of quota.

By the time ASIB was released worldwide, WB only had a couple of films left for 2018's quota. Rumor has it that WB considered both ASIB and Crazy Rich Asians for the November slot, and eventually went with the latter, which flopped miserably.

That said, there's still a slight chance that WB may decide to import ASIB later this year during the slow season, especially if it does well at the Oscars. Even if that happens though, presumably most of the people who would be interested in seeing a film like ASIB will have already seen it somehow, so I wouldn't hold my breath for amazing box office results.

Vitleysingur
2 hours ago, FullPsychotic said:

I searched the web but I didn't find anything, just a comment to an article, stating Gaga could be on China's naughty list (she met with Dalai Lama for example but I don't think she's the only one).

Or maybe was the movie itself not considered appealing to chinese audiences? I don't think so since it was released in Hong Kong and performed well.

What do you think/know about it?

The naughty list is not even true. Her songs are available everywhere all the time. You know western media always exaggerate everything about China.  :toofunny:

2 hours ago, S0436 said:

Simple as this. The movie won't make profit if it is released here. Sadly, most of Asian audience just don't resonate with the story. So you have under performance in Korea and Japan. :rip:

1 hour ago, LetsGetHigh said:

Warner Bros doesn't distribute movies in China, a local Chinese distributor needs to "buy" the rights to ASIB there in order to release it to cinemas and it seems that no distributor is interested.

WB China exists lol, sweetie. They just don't see it banking money here. :saladga:

1 hour ago, Lord Temptation said:

This basically.

38 minutes ago, Killa said:

They still think She is a fad. News travel slow in the east

Spoiler: She aint no fad. She is da fad

She's still one of most popular western artists here tho.

13 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Didn't China censored anything lady gaga-related after she met with the Dalai Lama?

As said earlier a local distributor needs to buy it from Warner Bros to then distribute it in China but if gaga music is censored there I guess a gaga movie would also be banned so Chinese cinema moguls surely know there's no point in buying it.

Not really. She is still making headlines everywhere and even in some of the biggest publications under the party. :smh:

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.

RAMROD

China will not allow that kind of film to screen in their country. By that I mean in the mainland. It is explicitly suicidal. It will definitely not gonna passed their censorship board. And I guess WB just don't wanna risk it.

Also, Mainland China got this thing called imported movies quota for western films. They only allow 34 Hollywood films a year. I am not making this up. Google it if you are skeptical. And each year, all of 34 slots would have already booked early by mostly blockbuster Summer movies. ASIB does not have the chance.

It is released in Hong Kong, however. Because they still have their own government eventhough part of China.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Archived