💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

ARTPOP was destined to flop. Why?

blackstar

Featured Posts

blackstar

It feels like it was destined to flop even before it's release. Gaga was rushed to finish the album after hip surgery, singles "underperformed", GP turned her back during that time, her old team left her. Let's not talk about most of her missteps happened during ARTPOP era (DWUW mess, Swine performance, etc.). It's sad how ARTPOP is one of the most underrated albums, but it feels like music never came into the light and it was in the shadow of other controversies that happened during the era. I really enjoy the era, but it's sad how the demons during that time are still haunting her to this day. 

What are your thoughts hunties? 

Dilated, falling free in a modern ecstasy

i cant ... havent we had threads like a million times already ? 

ARTPOP is a cool album, yes it had a lot of bs surrounding it, no it wasnt a "flop" etc .... 

Darkstains

Gaga really wasn't performing at her best when she was drained, exploited, and hurting. The odds were really stacked against her.

Though, in terms of the album, I'd say it's quite less inspired than her other albums-- I personally find it strange how she just got demos/heavily sampled from existing songs for Aura, Donatella, Mary Jane Holland... I don't know, I'd expect her (with her taking much pride in her songwriting process) to create all the songs from scratch. 

blackstar
2 minutes ago, Darkstains said:

Gaga really wasn't performing at her best when she was drained, exploited, and hurting. The odds were really stacked against her.

Though, in terms of the album, I'd say it's quite less inspired than her other albums-- I personally find it strange how she just got demos/heavily sampled from existing songs for Aura, Donatella, Mary Jane Holland... I don't know, I'd expect her (with her taking much pride in her songwriting process) to create all the songs from scratch. 

I don't mind when artists are sampling other songs, but I see your point. I feel like ARTPOP was more her old team's album, than hers. I know she enjoyed the album, just like us, but then again it's no surprising how she's paying dust to the album at her tours, concerts, etc 

Dilated, falling free in a modern ecstasy

Didymus

It just didn't have good enough songs tbh lmao. Part of that is simply because she bought most instrumentals in finished forms (Aura, MANiCURE, Donatella and MJH at least) and simply wrote some lines over them. Most of those songs are horribly composed and badly finished/produced :shrug: 

Like she said herself: she was under too much pressure and couldn't deliver the quality she wanted to.

GagaUnderYou
11 minutes ago, blackstar said:

I don't mind when artists are sampling other songs, but I see your point. I feel like ARTPOP was more her old team's album, than hers. I know she enjoyed the album, just like us, but then again it's no surprising how she's paying dust to the album at her tours, concerts, etc 

She played some songs at Coachella and Enigma has two. 

The album was memorable for Monsters but not the average radio fan so she only included the biggest single from the album "Applause" in most of her setlist.

Darkstains
6 minutes ago, Didymus said:

It just didn't have good enough songs tbh lmao. Part of that is simply because she bought most instrumentals in finished forms (Aura, MANiCURE, Donatella and MJH at least) and simply wrote some lines over them. Most of those songs are horribly composed and badly finished/produced :shrug: 

ï»ż Like she said herself: she was under too much pressure and couldn't deliver the quality she wanted to.

Right! This is what I meant. I know for her biggest hits, she's mentioned before that she started writing them on the piano before fleshing them out into the pop studio versions. Meanwhile, she did the opposite with the ARTPOP songs and... the difference is palpable. 

Didymus
1 minute ago, Darkstains said:

Right! This is what I meant. I know for her biggest hits, she's mentioned before that she started writing them on the piano before fleshing them out into the pop studio versions. Meanwhile, she did the opposite with the ARTPOP songs and... the difference is palpable.  ï»ż

Yas you remember that iconic Billboard Magazine interview too :laughga: Very revealing towards ARTPOP indeed, especially the "I couldn't be near that piano" line, exactly.

Regina George

I don’t understand when someone says that it’s underrated. It is hella overrated in this fan base. It’s literally the only Gaga album with no original instrumentals that she just wrote uninspiring lyrics to. Sorry but literally almost every song there already existed with different lyrics. That fact is so underwhelming to me. 

my thoughts?

stream mary jane holland on spotify

"I heard if you record Gaga snoring and play it backward it sounds like an act. 2 unreleased."

It had so many ideas but lack of a cohesive direction, the more I come back to the era, the more I understand how lost, angry and lonely she was.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Catnikko
1 hour ago, ReginaGeorge said:

I don’t understand when someone says that it’s underrated. It is hella overrated in this fan base. It’s literally the only Gaga album with no original instrumentals that she just wrote uninspiring lyrics to. Sorry but literally almost every song there already existed with different lyrics. That fact is so underwhelming to me. 

Thank you! The amount of times I've seen people insist it's her best album on here :air: it almost offends me

Actual patient

Lord Temptation

ARTPOP is like a drug. It can cripple you or it can save your life ❀

holy scheisse

When it came around, Gaga was already on her decline from her peak. Marry the night finished out the BTW campaign and "flopped" by her standards. Her first true flop, even Judas went to number 10. I remember sensing vulnerability and the impermanence of her power during that era. It was quite fitting, the video itself was about failure. But fans tried to organize buying and streaming parties to save the good sis... We were all shook by the fact that our girl wasn't effortlessly slaying the charts. Then she went dark, with the injury.... Bt the time she came back, pop had continued moving and she was playing catch-up. ARTPOP was an EDM album that came out after the initial explosion of the genre already came and was growing stale. It didn't help that Troy left her right before it started, or that the media was not ready to welcome her back yet (they paraded the Roar VS applause BS and favored Katy the whole way). This album was her darkest era ironically despite being her lightest in look and feel. Back then we complained on here for months when the DWUW video was said to be coming soon but never arrived, with literally no communication from Gaga about it. She appeared to have been totally just burnt our and done. It was really a disheartening time. And it's crazy that now this **** is happening with r kelly leaving another stain on an already low part of her career.... REGARDLESS this album is my favorite of hers tbh and it's still fresh sounding, and so cohesive as a track list . The best "flop" there ever was. 

Archived