Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is The Favourite getting so much hype?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

After seeing the massive hype that this movie is getting at awards season and Olivia Colman won the Golden Globe for her performance, I looked up the story behind it and what the deal was. I was shocked to discover that this film, which has been praised enormously by critics and getting pegged as the frontrunner at BAFTAs and Oscars...looks completely, utterly terrible!

This is unbelievably being categorised as a comedy. Comedy is amazingly hard to do especially when you're not a professional comedian and this film is a prime example of that. This is black comedy, surreal comedy, which is a very subjective taste as it is but it's not even done well. It just relies on lazy upper class English stereotypes as if these things, by their very existence, are funny. Try-hard, pretentious, crude, exploitative (using lesbianism to draw in an audience) and historically inaccurate (see the contents of the last bracket). Now, I haven't seen it, so I can't judge it completely but judging by the early reviews I've seen from cinema goers (as opposed to critics with agendas), it's everything like this trailer and worse. I've been hearing that the score is terrible and hurts the ears, it was super strange, Olivia Colman spends most of her time screaming and there were many people walking out. I saw a great line that summed up everything I'm concluded based on the trailer: "not funny enough to be comedy, not witty enough to be satire, not realistic enough to be drama and not informative enough to be history."

So, why is such a movie being so praised? This director is known for his unusual, off the wall ideas (his most famous works before this are The Lobster and The Killing Of A Sacred Deer) that have never won huge praise before and the subject matter is about one of the more minor royals, so is it all down to the fame and acting chops of the cast? Olivia has just started gaining traction as a good actress, Rachel has won quite a few awards in her time and Emma is at the peak of her career and just won an Oscar, so I guess the world can easily be blinded by big names. But if the gross so far is anything to go by, this style of movie is for a very small demographic with very subjective taste.

Realistically, I can totally see Olivia taking this upcoming BAFTA and probably an Oscar into the bargain. She's won 16 awards for this role so far, above and beyond what any other actress has won coming up to awards season. Yet, out of all the names that have been submitted for consideration, hers is one inclusion I cannot get my head around. Not only is her acting cringey, she can't seem to have much expression other than that down-turned mouth look that she does in literally everything she's in. Surely the movies released last year can't have been so terrible that this is a front-runner in multiple categories?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DiscoHeaven23

Historical movies always receive more praise from critics

...especially at award season 

River

It's hmm The Favorite :trollga:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

TropicOfCANCER

This movie was phenomenal and absolutely deserves its categorization as comedy. 

Antichrist

i don't want to upset anyone, i've seen it but... it's trash.. like... what even :lmao:

but as a solid citizen of the planet earth, i shall respect anyone who dares to like this piece of... yes :emma:

Spoiler

EDIT: don't get me wrong, this was just NOT MY THING AT ALL, whoever likes it, glad you do :kara:

elijahfan
18 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Now, I haven't seen it

Was looking for this, now /thread

elijahfan

Yorgos Lanthimos isn't the easiest director to get into, you either love him or hate him. But at least he has a vision, which is more than could be said of many people working in the industry.

Bolkins

I saw it and I thought it was great. It’s a bit mixed up in terms of what genre it wants to be, but I think without the comedy (which is genuinely funny) the whole thing would be pretty bleak. I really didn’t know what to expect going in but I was surprised at how engaging the story was. The love triangle is totally about power than it is romance, it’s really a story about savagely backstabbing to get where you want in life and how that can bite you in the arse. 

OneFiveTen
1 hour ago, WildAmerican said:

You haven't seen it. 

Thread over. 

Thank you!

This movie is amazing. This kind of negativity surrounding any and all nominees that aren’t Gaga related by this fanbase isn’t cute. 

A Star is Born isn’t the only good movie this awards season and we all need to understand that.

Archived