💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Lady Gaga & other celebs declined to be interviewed for R. Kelly's doc

Teal Ambition

Featured Posts

Guillaume Hamon
8 hours ago, ILoveAGypsyLife said:

I just want to point out that Gaga herself is an outspoken victim of sexual assault, so in my heart I do not believe she would work with him if she felt he was guilty of his accusations, at least at the time of the song being recorded and released.

Yeah I don't even know how so many people can still stan her while thinking she was working with a dude knowing well he was probably a pedo. I can't believe she knew well how fishy he was and still liked him. If I believed that I wouldn't stan her anymore.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MJHolland
19 hours ago, Didymus said:

Well, that's sad. Remember this?

"He’s a very talented person and I feel connected to him because he’s also plagued by other people’s projections of what he is. And that’s what’s really exciting to me about this album. In a way, it’s showing my fans how to have a more detailed and critical eye with music and what they’re looking at."

— Gaga, 2013

I wonder if she just didn't know enough about his controversial past. Or maybe it was just a PR stunt, who knows. But if I were Kelly, I would feel betrayed ngl :rip:

She knew (or should have known) how awful it was go collaborate with a crediblely accused rapist in 2013.

Especially given that she claims to be an abuse survivor herself and sung TIHTY just a short while after. 

Gaga, please do not pretend like your mistakes don’t exist; face them head on. 

monketsharona
2 hours ago, NewYorkCity said:

"Everyone in the industry knew it!", Sure, because that being the case Interscope would have let her work with him.

It is not that important, She made a song with him. Two live performances, and she stopped, she hasn't even performed the song again even tho it is one of her biggest hits. 

This.

I can't understand why Interscope let that **** happen if they knew it... It's not like R. Kelly was the most popular artist of that time... Let's not forget Interscope asked Lady Gaga to rework ARTPOP few weeks before releasing it (MESS) and they didn't ask her to remove R. Kelly ? 

I just feeling like they knew about the mistake when they actually launched the single and already made the video

I mean I can't believe Gaga knew and didn't remove him, especially she cancelled Azealia Banks after she knew about her horrible personality

not asher613
6 hours ago, VOLANTIS said:

If she wanted the collab strictly for controversy and attention.. Julian Assange was the perfect opportunity. 

I never said that. 

A collab is not the same as an endorsement. I think she wanted something exactly that kind of ugly on her stage. 

It wouldn't be the first time she did something ugly. It's part of what she does. 

VenusBlackStar

I love how we all just so happen to be able to know exactly what she knew about a person during a certain time period. 

In 2023 when the 10th anniversary of the album comes out I do hope she'll replace the original duet with the Xtina one 

MelbHawker

I'll never understand why Gaga is still being criticised after what she did to the collaboration when the accusations/stories surfaced about him during that time. 

I don't think putting a statement out re: this issue would benefit anybody. R. Kelly did what he did, & that's on him. It's great that artists are calling him out on his crimes - it's adding to the years-long discourse on social media re: this behaviour. 

On 1/3/2019 at 5:47 PM, Didymus said:

Well, that's sad. Remember this?

"He’s a very talented person and I feel connected to him because he’s also plagued by other people’s projections of what he is. And that’s what’s really exciting to me about this album. In a way, it’s showing my fans how to have a more detailed and critical eye with music and what they’re looking at."

— Gaga, 2013

I wonder if she just didn't know enough about his controversial past. Or maybe it was just a PR stunt, who knows. But if I were Kelly, I would feel betrayed ngl :rip:

She probably didn’t know anything at all.

freebit

I am closer to Gaga's age than most of you (I think)- I was born in 1988, and so can only provide what I imagine her mindset and the cultural impact of R. Kelly for people around our age. I remember back when the Ignition remix was poppin (that ish was being played at our school dances, so this was our culture AT LARGE, so think about that) and being like "I guess we're all going to ignore what he's done," and I was really young at time then and I had heard the news reports. I remember Dave Chappelle joking about it on The Dave Chappelle Show and people at school laughing about the R. Kelly parody on The Chapelle Show and yet still bopping to his music.  I think her collaborating with him was a result of her BFF (at the time) loving him, and the media and culture at large at the time just kind of ignoring what he had done - he even had nostalgic indie cred with P4K loving that Phoenix collab with him. It was like people just glossed over what he did and only used his music. It's not an excuse for her, but I can imagine why she would go ahead with the collab at the time.

That said, I hope someday she publicly addresses this and disowns it. It's only right. At the same I really HATE that women are always targeted for working with trash men, and are expected to own up and apologize for the men they worked with, when the entertainment industry is infested with men like that. It's like, ok, I get that women working with these types are dragged for giving these guys a platform, at the same time it's like they're held to a bigger standard to the men who actually committed the crime.  Much like Greta Gerwig, Cate Blanchett. etc. While I do think people shouldn't be let off so easily, I do think people are doing a big disservice when they ask so much of women in the industry for working with these men when the men themselves should always first and foremost be held accountable. 

I think at some point she should probably apologize to clear the air, but I also think if she did that now it would just draw attention to an old ass collab from when she was at a different place in her life, mentally speaking. 

SharkmanthaC
1 hour ago, freebit said:

I am closer to Gaga's age than most of you (I think)- I was born in 1988, and so can only provide what I imagine her mindset and the cultural impact of R. Kelly for people around our age. I remember back when the Ignition remix was poppin (that ish was being played at our school dances, so this was our culture AT LARGE, so think about that) and being like "I guess we're all going to ignore what he's done," and I was really young at time then and I had heard the news reports. I remember Dave Chappelle joking about it on The Dave Chappelle Show and people at school laughing about the R. Kelly parody on The Chapelle Show and yet still bopping to his music.  I think her collaborating with him was a result of her BFF (at the time) loving him, and the media and culture at large at the time just kind of ignoring what he had done - he even had nostalgic indie cred with P4K loving that Phoenix collab with him. It was like people just glossed over what he did and only used his music. It's not an excuse for her, but I can imagine why she would go ahead with the collab at the time.

I agree with this.  I am only a few months older than Gaga, and I can remember the scandal happening, but unless you were really following it you wouldn't have know the details of everything. It just seemed that R. Kelly didn't get a lot of bad press except in certain circles. Not that it excuses it, but I honestly think Gaga may not have known everything that has now come to light.

After watching the documentary, it also seems that some of it began to resurface around the time DWUW came out, thus why I'm sure she distanced herself.

she/her/hers

SilkSpectre
23 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

I agree with this.  I am only a few months older than Gaga, and I can remember the scandal happening, but unless you were really following it you wouldn't have know the details of everything. It just seemed that R. Kelly didn't get a lot of bad press except in certain circles. Not that it excuses it, but I honestly think Gaga may not have known everything that has now come to light.

After watching the documentary, it also seems that some of it began to resurface around the time DWUW came out, thus why I'm sure she distanced herself.

I agree. While we all knew about R Kelly, we didn’t know as much as we do now and a lot more started to surface after DWUW. It’s just mega unfortunate for Gaga that on top of collaborating with him, they dueted on a song with such a title. 

R Kelly wasn’t her choice. It was her label (Troy Carter was her manager at the time) who told her the track needed a male r&b artist. DJWS recommended Kelly, and her label pushed for it.

She didn’t even want the song as a single. So y’all can’t blame Gaga for collaborating with him. She hasn’t performed the song since artrave (and only played the solo version) and paid TMZ to not leak the video.

BYE

SCHEISSEMONTRE
On 1/4/2019 at 4:41 AM, Guillaume Hamon said:

Yeah I don't even know how so many people can still stan her while thinking she was working with a dude knowing well he was probably a pedo. I can't believe she knew well how fishy he was and still liked him. If I believed that I wouldn't stan her anymore.

Well guess what....she never knew about Rape Kelly past.

Mychal

Guillaume Hamon
15 hours ago, SCHEISSEMONTRE said:

Well guess what....she never knew about Rape Kelly past.

Yeah that's what I think too but folks are saying its impossible to not have known! I had only heard about the piss tape he was judged innocent for personally back in 2013 when they worked together.

SummerGirl21
On 1/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, symphonia said:

I think it has to do with age.. maybe. I remember during the ARTPOP era, most people here had no idea who he even was. 

Uhhhhhh maybe here. But he is very very famous. She knew who he was and she knew about the pedo stuff. I think she wanted to believe it was false and I think she was pressured into the collab by her label or just felt pressure to be controversial.

Archived