💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Rolling Stone COMES for Miley!

SPARTACUS

Featured Posts

SPARTACUS

What you get for biting the hand that fed you... tumblr_phwvjgXRjc1xmo1c7o1_75sq.gif

Screenshot-2018-12-12-at-12-16-39-AM.png

It Only Took a Year for Miley Cyrus to Pivot Back to Hip-Hop

After publicly criticizing rappers in a tone deaf interview last year, Miley is back to making hip-hop-indebted music for her next album.

A year after leaving hip-hop behind for more hypothetically lucrative pastures, Miley Cyrus is staging her return. It looks like there was more money to be made in the genre that brought her the most success she’s seen in her career, despite her very public capitulation to folkier (and whiter) sounds. During an interview with 95.5 PLJ, Cyrus explained that she’s working with Mike Will Made-It, the executive producer of 2013’s Bangerz, again on her upcoming album.

“We’ve got songs with Mike Will that lean more hip-hop and songs with Andrew Wyatt that lean more pop/alternative,” Miley said. “I just have kind of everything.”

This comes just one year after Miley made a point to distance herself from hip-hop in a tone deaf 2017 interview with Billboard.

“But I also love that new Kendrick [Lamar] song [‘Humble’]: ‘Show me somethin’ natural like ass with some stretch marks.’ I love that because it’s not ‘Come sit on my ****, suck on my cock.’ I can’t listen to that anymore,” she said. “That’s what pushed me out of the hip-hop scene a little. It was too much ‘Lamborghini, got my Rolex, got a girl on my cock’ — I am so not that.”

After critics started to label Cyrus a culture vulture, she responded in a since-deleted 2017 Instagram post that also lacked nuance, opting instead to dabble in respectability politics that evinced a deep misunderstanding of hip-hop culture. “I have always and will continue to love and celebrate hip hop as I’ve collaborated with some of the very best,” the post read. “At this point in my life I am expanding personally/musically and gravitating more towards uplifting, conscious rap! As I get older I understand the effect music has on the world & Seeing where we are today I feel the younger generation needs to hear positive powerful lyrics!” However, the allure of cashing in on the United States’ most consumed genre must have been too great, just one year later.

The quick pivot back is unsurprising. The response to her country-tinged next effort, Younger Now, was lackluster. Miley’s sixth studio album debuted at number five on the Billboard 200 and sold 45,000 units in its first week. That’s compared to Bangerz, which went number one with 270,000 in sales its first week. Bangerz is certified triple platinum; Younger Now has failed to go gold.

The world doesn’t need any more hip-hop-inspired Miley Cyrus music, but history shows that it, at the very least, sells.

@illbekind

Screenshot-2018-12-10-at-9-52-32-PM.png

-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐌𝐀ℱ

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That J

Hmmm this is interesting but I'm not sure I can agree until I hear her new album. Hip hop is a sound and feel and not always just lyrics. She may make crazy good hip hop tracks without talking about the stuff she mentioned. Postive hop maybe?! Lol. That's basically what she said.  

I think it's best to wait and hear before coming for someone. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

berlinforme

Well, as if it was wrong what she said. Sure, that's not really what hip hop is about but looking at the charts it's often these rappers that are successful. Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, Nicki's allures, the one that went to jail... Kendrick really stands out as she said. 

I do agree that she (or her management) is appropriating what works though. 

MJHolland

Honestly, her 2017 comments had no lies? 

Like, I understand the idea that she could have been more nuanced and careful with her wording, but is Rolling Stone trying to say that there isn't, in fact, a disproportionate amount of misogyny in the hip-hop community?  

Because there is. The hip-hop community is still VERY sexist, homophobic, and transphobic and I totally understand Miley wanting to distance herself from that. 

TimisaMonster

Omg they called her a hypocritical sell-out!!! :nooo:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

GypsyBabe

Well they didn’t mince their words. :sis:

⚯͛

Rolling Stone is still trying to remain relevant I see, keep on talking about music and not starting fire like a cheap tabloid..

Miley is right and thousands of "what's good" from the paper gangsta are not gonna change it..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Gaga literally said the same thing about pop music misogyny so if any of you are coming for Miley in this situation.. :rip: 

I mean she’s not wrong! A lot of the hip hop today is like that so I see no lie. And at least she clarified that not all hip hop is like that 

TeenIdle

First of all, she was right. Second of all, it's not like Miley is a hip hop artist :toofunny: Featuring rappers or adding hip hop elememts to pop songs doesn't make you a hip hop artist. So it's not like she betrayed her own genre..RS is overreacting. 

P.S. I hate the fact that hip hop / rap is considered artistry and in people's eyes pop is supposed to be just meaningless and fun :nails:

Archived