Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Five Foot Two: Did Gaga emotionally manipulate her grandmother?

gypsy101

Featured Posts

gypsy101

I’m rewatching Five Foot Two and it struck me: when Lady Gaga and her father go to visit her grandmother and she plays the song for her, is she being emotionally manipulative? Lady Gaga didn’t know the aunt that the song is about and it seems like she’s being a bit gross when it comes to playing the song in front of her grandmother whose had to get over the death of her daughter within the past 40 years, and to have it drudged up in front of cameras seems kind of cheap.

AStarIsBorn21

Gaga wrote that song for her father. She played it for her grandma because it’s about her daughter, I’m not quite sure how that’s emotionally manipulative. While it’s an awkward thing to watch I don’t think Gaga meant to cause harm or manipulate her grandma. 

It is one of the more awkward moments in the documentary but they could of easily took it off and they didnt which tells us it was authentic and Gaga wanted it to be there regardless of how much her grandma low key shut her down lol. I appreciate that. I don't think it was manipulative at all...It was just Gaga trying to make a forced emotional moment and her grandma was having none of it. That's it.  

Grandma is cool with it.

She even gave her advise not to dwell into it

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

Lol what? She was literally just playing her the song. It’s about her daughter so maybe she wanted to hear it too.

shoful

The thing I still don’t understand about Joanne even after 2 years. Why did she make an album about someone who she never met. I mean i know its not about Joanne directly but like kinda. Idk it just always seemed odd to me 

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Ladle Ghoulash

The scene rubbed me the wrong way the first time I saw it, but upon reflection, I feel like her grandmother is definitely moved by it. Keep in mind, this is a woman from a very different generation. It makes sense that her advice would be not to become ‘maudlin’ because I would imagine she had to grin and bear a lot of her pain for a long time. 

We we also don’t have the context for why Gaga and her grandma met. She may have expressed interest in hearing the music because of the subject matter.

she probably played the track to her grandma way before filming this scene and just told her to act along in the documentary :trollga:

being great at acting must be in Gaga's genes after all :diane:

月にかわって、おしおきよ!🌙

Ladle Ghoulash
3 minutes ago, shoful said:

The thing I still don’t understand about Joanne even after 2 years. Why did she make an album about someone who she never met. I mean i know its not about Joanne directly but like kinda. Idk it just always seemed odd to me 

Keep in mind that she’s been fascinated hy joanne for most of her life and has cited her as an influence and inspiration for a lot of her career.

crushedlemonice
8 minutes ago, zebulonpyke said:

Keep in mind that she’s been fascinated hy joanne for most of her life and has cited her as an influence and inspiration for a lot of her career.

Also Gaga's father clearly made Joanne a big part of his daughter's lives. 

10 minutes ago, shoful said:

She’s talked about this countless times... Basically she wrote Joanne after doing a lot of self reflection into herself and her family, and it made her think about why her dad was always sad which in turn affected her too. It affected their whole family even if she never met Joanne, she felt connected to her. You can look up almost any interview from the Joanne era to hear her talk about the album.

Hoeanne

We really need to stop using terms meant to describe abuse to talk about people doing cringey or uncomfortable things.

LateToCult

Idk about emotional manipulation but the way her grandma looked at her while Gaga was getting emotional was the most awkward thing ever. The embodiment of “is it that serious, ma?”  :toofunny:

Reality
19 minutes ago, shoful said:

She's said multiple times that it was because of her father. All of this practically stems from his relationship with her (Gaga). Gaga has said that her relationship with her father wasn't the best growing up because often times she didn't know if he was really "himself", or if it was all stemming from pain because of his sister's death. From an outsider's perspective, it may seem weird, but we don't know the exact extent of how Joanne affected Gaga and her family. 

🖤👹

Archived