💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Was Diana Ross Really That Great A Singer?

Maleficent

Featured Posts

First and foremost I love Diana. I think she has a beautiful and unique tone. But I hear a lot of people bashing her for having very limited vocal ability? Apparently she has very little range and doesn't use much vibrato and can't hold a note for too long. But she seems to have this reputation (at least among my generation) of being blessed with an angelic voice? What are your thoughts? 

You gave me a heart attack, I thought she had passed based on your title! :cryga:

Don't visit my profile

She has one of the best tones ever. One could listen to her voice all day. But no she wasn't one of the greatest technical singers of all time or anything. 

doppelganger

I really don't get the appeal of Diana Ross. Some of the songs are bops, but she's the definition of a manufactured pop act. 

I guess being pretty and shagging your boss at Motown will take you places.

About as great as Lana Del Rey, they have great breathy vocals but don’t expect a powerhouse out of them. And don’t get me wrong, I love them both. My favorite Diana album is Swept Away 

2 hours ago, Pablo said:

You gave me a heart attack, I thought she had passed based on your title! :cryga:

Omg I’m so sorry!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Possibly Maybe said:

About as great as Lana Del Rey, they have great breathy vocals but don’t expect a powerhouse out of them. And don’t get me wrong, I love them both. My favorite Diana album is Swept Away 

I actually really love this comparison. Would never have thought of it myself!!

ssslyboy

I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl a couple years ago and it was a fun concert.  Anyways, she sang off key when they recorded "Upside Down" and she was upset they wanted her to re-record it.  (I think that's the story anyway.)  For example, listen to the 2:00 mark of the original version: :ohwell:

Blastertoyo

I don’t tgink it was really a matter of her being the “best” or even a great singer. I think she’s a classic example of just simply being “the first” and “the original”. She’s the original showstopping pop diva. She’s a star and people latched onto that, but a vocalist she is not.

please enlighten me to death

migamiga
5 hours ago, doppelganger said:

I really don't get the appeal of Diana Ross. Some of the songs are bops, but she's the definition of a manufactured pop act. 

I guess being pretty and shagging your boss at Motown will take you places.

tenor.gif?itemid=4859872

5 hours ago, Possibly Maybe said:

Nah, Diana can actually sing and belt.

Bel Esprit

I don't think her appeal was ever as a powerhouse vocalist. Her voice worked for the music she sang. 

She was the original Pop Star, the product for excelence

BUT!!!

She was a very god product, you dont manufacture talent, her voice was just very pleasent and she was very elegant.

And this whole Gaga going to C2C+a star is born and showing she's capable of jazz etc Diana outdid her with her Billie Holiday movie. And this was like 40 years ago. Just for a very compreensible example

And her presence was amazing, sure people knew her songs very well, but it's not easy holding audiences the way she did like in Central Park concert. It's legendary

And her wig outdid everyone else

Supersonic

She‘s a good vocalist. She knows her capabilities and she hardly ever seems to strain and still sounds good in her Golden later years of life. Imo she did everything right. What‘s the use of screaming ur ass off for 20 years and damaging your voice to the point of it becoming unrecognizable when ur career is pushing past 20? 

Archived