Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Baby It's Cold Outside Banned From Radio

Yuuri

Featured Posts

ShockPop
2 minutes ago, FinnishGypsy said:

You do realize this is exactly what conservatives state about same-sex marriage, right?

No one is ruining anyone’s “tradition” (or “traditional marriage”) by simply evolving with the times and electing to remove questionable content that much younger individuals won’t have the benefit of historical knowledge with which to evaluate it against. People are free to maintain their heteronormative Christmas plans with this song blasting all goddamn December, while others can have a gay, silent Kwanzaa and someone else can celebrate by opting out of the holidays altogether and just listening to Gaga’s discography on repeat. 

We all have streaming services and can listen to whatever we want; that doesn’t impact anyone else’s personal life and certainly doesn’t ruin anyone’s traditions (unless your specific Christmas tradition consists solely of listening to this one song on repeat via various radio stations, in which case, you really probably could’ve benefited from a more exciting tradition regardless). 

Also wrong. Trying to ban things that have no impact on their lives is what's going on here. Just like banning gay marriage.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FinnishGypsy
4 minutes ago, ShockPop said:

Also wrong. Trying to ban things that have no impact on their lives is what's going on here. Just like banning gay marriage.

You do not start a conversation by stating “you’re 100% wrong.” That’s solely how you initiate arguments, and if that is your preferred manner of discourse, then I will simply bid you farewell and a nice holiday season.

JohnnyVersace
1 hour ago, FinnishGypsy said:

I don't disagree at all with anything you stated. My (admittedly poorly expressed) view was simply that by at least starting to seriously reevaluate ”timeless” entertainment containing an underlying message that's wholly tone-deaf and/or otherwise incompatible with the current sociopolitical climate, then at least it’s a tiny step in the right direction. Because in my opinion, getting current artists to suddenly cease production of easy #1 ”rapey” songs like ”Blurred Lines” will likely be far more difficult than starting by analyzing, assessing and/or modifying the content in dated material first. 

Totally see what you're saying. But I guess my issue with this is that there are so many things happening in media/politics/fashion/music etc. today that could be dealt with, rather than something from the 1940's. It is a step, but IMO I think it arguably sets a bad example that everything that isn't up to our current politically correct standards must be abolished. Then we open up a huge can of censorship worms. These timeless films, songs, etc., were created in a different era, with different moral standards and conversations of right and wrong. And to use those as examples of what's right and wrong today just doesn't really translate. There's a reason this song has been popular for decades, and to discredit the artistry of it in order to set some sort of self-ucongralutory precedent as if it actually does anything is a bit tone deaf. Like we could bring up COUNTLESS movies and songs from the past that are sexist, misogynistic, etc. But should we ban all of them?

I just think this is really the wrong thing to go after and use as a "step in the right direction." Like, Eminem just used the word "f*g" in a rap literally this year, Tyler the Creator has gotten off the hook for his homophobia since allegedly coming out. Yet, both are still free to produce music and have it played. Let's combat things that are happening currently, rather than a convoluted semi-rapey Christmas carol. 

I guess my overall point, though long-winded lol, is like, let this one go. It really has nothing to do with 2018, and there are so so so many more instances of homophobia, racism, sexism, and rape culture within the last 5 years that should be banned. And as for this song, let's collectively understand why the lyrics could be interpreted in a problematic way and move on. It's been popular for 80 years, banning it now does nothing but make us all look dumb. 

39 minutes ago, FinnishGypsy said:

You do realize this is exactly what conservatives state about same-sex marriage, right?

No one is ruining anyone’s “tradition” (or “traditional marriage”) by simply evolving with the times and electing to remove questionable content that much younger individuals won’t have the benefit of historical knowledge with which to evaluate it against. People are free to maintain their heteronormative Christmas plans with this song blasting all goddamn December, while others can have a gay, silent Kwanzaa and someone else can celebrate by opting out of the holidays altogether and just listening to Gaga’s discography on repeat. 

We all have streaming services and can listen to whatever we want; that doesn’t impact anyone else’s personal life and certainly doesn’t ruin anyone’s traditions (unless your specific Christmas tradition consists solely of listening to this one song on repeat via various radio stations, in which case, you really probably could’ve benefited from a more exciting tradition regardless). 

Crikey. 

Christmas has not been around forever. It’s a tradition that’s been round for a couple/ few centuries now. It’s a tradition, my point is that people are starting to ruin the tradition of it. Christmas is supposed to be a fun time of year and it doesn’t help people sticking their ore in. 

Cant people just accept it? I’m all for accepting everyone and moving forward as people. But it’s a tradition, no we don’t all blast this one song and fap off to it, but it’s part of the culture, unfortunalty gay relationships werent depicted in songs, films or shows during Christmas time just because of the era. All you can do is go forward and improve on what has been done before. 

At the end of the day, if you watch the clip and listen to the song, she chose to stay in the end, he didn’t show aggression, he just took a more dominant stance.... those times the male was more outspoken and persistent and the woman was very blazé. 

I don’t think we should remove it from the culture or change it in any way. Tbh if anything it should be a good thing? You mention about the younger generation seeing it, just playing the devils advocate here but surely if you want the younger generations to benefit and learn maybe the best thing is to keep it apart of history so they can see/ here it as reference and learn that’s not the way to act 

personally I don’t think there is a problem it’s interesting to see how Christmas was back in those days  

🙋🏼‍♂️

derpmonster
6 hours ago, Unbeweavable said:

:air: So it's rapey and not nice unless a girl sings the male parts, in which it's ok, isn't that hypocritical? :emma:

No, it was still just as rapey. It was only slightly better because at least it wasn't the same male female dynamic as usual. Still bad. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

derpmonster
1 hour ago, AndrewMac95 said:

Tbh if anything it should be a good thing? You mention about the younger generation seeing it, just playing the devils advocate here but surely if you want the younger generations to benefit and learn maybe the best thing is to keep it apart of history so they can see/ here it as reference and learn that’s not the way to act 

In that case, we would still need to have a conversation about why that song is problematic so people can learn from it. But I have a feeling people will still defend it and say "oh you're just being an SJW let it be" 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Mister Money
3 hours ago, ShockPop said:

Less about "omg they ban everything" and more about "omg how can they be so unintelligent?".

The song is written for a story. The story is that she wants to stay but is scared about what others will think so he is trying to encourage her to think for herself and *Be a feminist*. A cigarette longer, a half a drink longer. They both agree that it's too cold to go outside - and that's the story they'll tell any prying nosy people. It was cold so she stayed rather than they fancied a horizontal mambo.

This new wave of feminism is ridiculous and laughable. Made up by dumb people to invent reasons to be offended on behalf of others.

4 hours ago, AndrewMac95 said:

Why are SJWs ruining tradition???

This is a classic, traditional festive song which has been around for decades 

But go off sis, but if a double standard you want to cancel this songs exposure because of women’s rights. What about Nicki Minajs’ songs about how big, fat and tasty her p*ssy is?? 

So you don’t want a traditionally festive song played but your more than happy to hear about p*ssys being played with? Weird flex but ok 

YASSS go off tell them SJWs!

Mess at everyone saying they’re too sensitive but what kind of lyric is “what’s in this drink?” Honestly surprises me no one said anything sooner :messga:

ShockPop
20 hours ago, Possibly Maybe said:

Mess at everyone saying they’re too sensitive but what kind of lyric is “what’s in this drink?” Honestly surprises me no one said anything sooner :messga:

The answer is Alcohol. It's alcohol in the drink. Like when you say "I don't drink" to save face but in reality when you drink you end up in the worst state a human has ever been in.

ShockPop
On 12/5/2018 at 8:01 PM, FinnishGypsy said:

You do not start a conversation by stating “you’re 100% wrong.” That’s solely how you initiate arguments, and if that is your preferred manner of discourse, then I will simply bid you farewell and a nice holiday season.

There is no conversation to start when one side is incorrect. I was simply correcting your mistake.

Archived