Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Baby It's Cold Outside Banned From Radio

Yuuri

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

False equivalency.

I don't agree.

I think the intentions behind people who criticize Baby It's Cold Outside are honorable, but wrong.

You have to consider how the song is performed. The tone of the performance infers as much about the the intention of the lyrics as the lyrics themselves. When you take the lyrics at face value, they could be described as "rapey," in the same way the lyrics to Rudolf The Rednosed Reindeer could be described as promoting bullying. However when you see the song performed as it is meant to be performed you see something else entirely. It's a song written by a husband and wife team who meant for the song to be coy and lighthearted.

Edit: I just googled "Rudolf The Rednosed Reindeer to check the lyircs, and sure enough, there are people arguing that the film promotes bullying.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Queen Gloria

I personally think this song is more insensitive/naive and racist. Every time I hear it I cringe. I usually love 80s music, but it sounds so cheesy and the lyrics have not aged well. I interpret it as a bunch of wealthy celebrity singers getting together to sing about the poor unfortunate Africans who don't know what Christmas is. Regardless of the good intentions, I think this is the one that should be banned.

6 minutes ago, RadioIsOurs said:

Uh huh but songs explicitly talking about drugs and even murder are still okay huh? 

giphy.gif

Say what's in this drink? (And why am I in the trunk on highway ten.)

Mister Money
1 hour ago, 01Jaime said:

The disrespect to this classy christmas  classic..

agree

we might as well ban everything pre 1960 cause in 2018 America isnt offensive

rumours

This is so stupid. Either there needs to be this artificial outrage at every “offensive” (ugh) thing in music or just leave it the f*ck alone. It’s a Christmas classic, and the original intention of the lyrics was not explicit date rape. 

I can’t at my generation getting offended over literally anything. God forbid a claymation Santa also yells at a make-believe reindeer... ugh. 

*Steps off soapbox*

SILENT HILL

I think banning the song is taking things too far, but at the same time I can't understand how some of y'all who are defending this are also saying they should play the reversed gender one instead. So it's okay for a female to sexually assault a man instead? :awkney:

Didymus

I get it. But then it's been re-imagined so many times now in a feminist manner that I don't have a problem with it anymore. I'm surprised someone else does :shrug:

Didymus
47 minutes ago, QueenHunty said:

I personally think this song is more insensitive/naive and racist. Every time I hear it I cringe. I usually love 80s music, but it sounds so cheesy and the lyrics have not aged well. I interpret it as a bunch of wealthy celebrity singers getting together to sing about the poor unfortunate Africans who don't know what Christmas is. Regardless of the good intentions, I think this is the one that should be banned.

lmao you're so right, this one is despicable and most people even agree with that. It's just a catchy tune. But yeah, that song is basically the white savior complex put on music :air:

If this doesn't need to be banned then I don't think BICO needs to be banned either. After all, you really have to read rape into the lyrics for it to be problematic. Do They Know it's Christmas is already problematic on the surface :smh:

GypsyBabe

Honestly, this song has freaked me out since high school. It’s so creepy and rapey. I understand it was written in 1944, but we have a different view of women now and it is a song about not taking “No” for an answer. :duck:

Not sure if I would try and eradicate it and ban it though. I don’t know, its hard. 

⚯͛

JusKeepBreathin
1 hour ago, SKANK said:

I don't agree.

I think the intentions behind people who criticize Baby It's Cold Outside are honorable, but wrong.

You have to consider how the song is performed. The tone of the performance infers as much about the the intention of the lyrics as the lyrics themselves. When you take the lyrics at face value, they could be described as "rapey," in the same way the lyrics to Rudolf The Rednosed Reindeer could be described as promoting bullying. However when you see the song performed as it is meant to be performed you see something else entirely. It's a song written by a husband and wife team who meant for the song to be coy and lighthearted.

Edit: I just googled "Rudolf The Rednosed Reindeer to check the lyircs, and sure enough, there are people arguing that the film promotes bullying.

1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted. How many witches are pressed in modern times?

Have you seen Neptune's Daughter? She is literally trying her best to leave his apartment and he keeps grabbing her, giving her unwanted careses, closes the curtains, undresses her, gives her a strong alcoholic drink. It's wimsical date rape and sexual battery. That is how the song was performed.

My comment wasn't towards Rudolf it was towards your false equivalency of "Ding dong the Witch is dead" and "Baby it's cold outside." Now you deflect towards Rudolf. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

7 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

Honestly, this song has freaked me out since high school. It’s so creepy and rapey. I understand it was written in 1944, but we have a different view of women now and it is a song about not taking “No” for an answer. :duck:

Not sure if I would try and eradicate it and ban it though. I don’t know, its hard. 

3 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted. How many witches are pressed in modern times?

Have you seen Neptune's Daughter. She is literally trying her best to leave his apartment and he keeps grabbing her, giving her unwanted careses, closes the curtains, undresses her, gives her a strong alcoholic drink. It's wimsical date rape and sexual harassment.

My comment wasn't towards Rudolf it was towards your false equivalency of "Ding dong the Witch is dead" and "Baby it's cold outside." Now you deflect towards Rudolf. 

I personally don't think the song is about sexual assult, but rather the social stigma that woman had back then where sex was frowned upon. He doesn't force the drink on her, instead she wants one, and she uses it as an excuse for whats about to go down (consensual sex). And thoroughout all the versions of the song, she isn't in any distress.

FATCAT

Society lost the meaning behind many of the lyrics, so it seems really date-rapey but it's not, and it never was. It's just people misunderstanding the song. This is dumb, but I agree that we've moved past appreciating it, so while I don't think they should ban it, they should at least accompany it with an explanation.

Purr more, hiss less.

Pacify Him

I can’t take our society seriously anymore :laughga: and what’s with the animated Rudolph examples that I’m seeing?

I’m getting on your nerves

Archived