💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
charts

Mariah's 19th #1 Song?

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

I was just pondering the potential of Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" going #1 this year.

A BRIEF CHARTING HISTORY

Because of the way Billboard's Hot 100 charting rules worked the song could not chart on the Hot 100 in its early years because it was not an "official single". This rule changed in 1998, allowing the song to chart during Christmas of 1999 (it charted for one week, peaking at #83).

In the years that followed, the song was ineligible to chart again because Billboard's rules did not allow songs to chart, fall off the chart and then chart again. The song was considered "recurrent". 

However, this rule changed in 2012, and allowed songs to re-enter the Hot 100, if the song could place in the top 50 of the chart. This allowed the song to chart during Christmas of 2012. The song has now charted every Christmas since. Since the song has now been on the chart for over 20 weeks, it now has to be in the top 25 to re-enter the chart. 

AIWFCIY's Chances At #1

Streaming is what will power this song. Last year the song was finally able to reach the Top 10, peaking at #9 for two weeks. This became her 28th Top 10 hit. Streaming's power has grown exponentially in the last year. Today is November 25th and the song is already #11 on Spotify in the US. It is #8 on iTunes and it will likely start earning big gains on radio. 

My theory is that the coming weeks will see the streams for "All I Want For Christmas Is You" skyrocket. There is no doubt in my mind that the song will go Top 10 again and reach a new peak, but can it make it to #1? 

All I Want For Christmas Is You *2 weeks in Top 10 (so far)*

Christmas 1999
1st week: #83

Christmas 2012
2nd week: #29
3rd week: #25
4th week: #21

Christmas 2013
5th week: #26
6th week: #27
7th week: #26

Christmas 2014
8th week: #50
9th week: #40
10th week: #35

Christmas 2015
11th week: #26
12th week: #22
13th week: #18
14th week: #11

Christmas 2016
15th week: #23
16th week: #17
17th week: #20
18th week: #16
19th week: #35

Christmas 2017
20th week: #21
21st week: #11
22nd week: #9 - PEAK POSITION
23rd week: #9
24th week: #13

KatieJudasGaga4

I hope it will! A timeless classic and I basically don't remember any #1 song this year besides Girls Like You because I saw Shallow at #5 when I was looking at the charts :vegas:

Thomas P

Its my all time favourite Christmas song, so please let it happen. Although she should get #1 number 19, 20, and 21 off of her new album, cause she's serving quality there. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Mariah is enjoying a great year and i am so happy for her. Still can't believe the reviews on her new album! I mean its a great album but she NEVER released a bad album, it's almost like they are now figuring out how great she is again. Looking at the Australian iTunes charts though, she isn't anywhere to be seen which is a shame...

Stephen

I don’t even like Mariah but I really want this to happen just for pop culture :ladyhaha: it would be so awesome 

RAMROD

It won't be her 19th if it's the same song charting at #1 that been previously there :giggle:

Unless it's BB100

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Regina George
6 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

It won't be her 19th if it's the same song charting at #1 that been previously there :giggle:

It was never no1 tho.. Or was it :oprah:

RAMROD
Just now, ReginaGeorge said:

It was never no1 tho.. Or was it :oprah:

It's #1 on BB Holiday charts during initial release in 1994 :poot:

BB100 only #9 tho

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

rumours
53 minutes ago, Aussie said:

I mean its a great album but she NEVER released a bad album

The only albums of hers that may qualify as bad are Charmbracelet and Glitter (although to a slightly lesser extent). She’s released a lot of just okay/mediocre albums if I’m being 100% honest. 

I agree that her new album is very good, maybe her best since Butterfly tbh. She is finally operating in a part of her voice where she is comfortable, and the album is VERY cohesive sonically. The improvement from the Elusive Chanteuse album is remarkable, and I’m super proud of her! :heart:

Imagine i want this just for the laughs

It just goes to show this streaming era is a mess, like there are basically no standards. Anything can happen

Regina George
9 hours ago, RAMROD said:

It's #1 on BB Holiday charts during initial release in 1994 :poot:

BB100 only #9 tho

But those are two different charts :poot:

On 11/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, Rumours1977 said:

The only albums of hers that may qualify as bad are Charmbracelet and Glitter (although to a slightly lesser extent). She’s released a lot of just okay/mediocre albums if I’m being 100% honest. 

I agree that her new album is very good, maybe her best since Butterfly tbh. She is finally operating in a part of her voice where she is comfortable, and the album is VERY cohesive sonically. The improvement from the Elusive Chanteuse album is remarkable, and I’m super proud of her! :heart:

I have to disagree :) I don't think any of her albums had been mediocre. She is so unique in her style, voice and production style that even though i haven't enjoyed all her albums the same (with Charmbracelet and Rainbow being the two i hardly listen to) i think even her weakest are better than most peoples best

Archived